American IPA Avatar Jasmine IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 65
Gold Medal Winner 2008 World Beer Cup

Special thanks to Dick Cantwell, head brewer and owner of Elysian Brewing in Seattle who personally supplied this recipe. This is going to be my next beer.

If you haven't had it, it has a wonderful floral aroma from the addition of dried Jasmine flowers. It will also satisfy IPA drinkers and hopheads in general with the perfect balance of malt, hops and spice. This is hands down SWMBO's favorite locally produced IPA.

All-Grain Recipe:
11.0 lb Pale Ale Malt (Great Western 2-Row)
.5 lb Munich Malt (Weyermann)
.25 lb Light dextrin malt (Cara-hell Weyermann)
.25 lb 45° Lovibond Crystal Malt (Crisp)
Mash at 153 - 154 F
90 minute boil

Extract Recipe:
.5 lb Munich Malt (Weyermann)
.25 lb Light dextrin malt (Cara-hell Weyermann)
.25 lb 45° Lovibond Crystal Malt (Crisp)
Mash at 153 - 154 F
8.5 lb Light (Pale Ale) Liquid Malt Extract
90 minute boil

Hops/Jasmine:
7.5 AAU German Northern Brewer
1.5 oz bagged dried jasmine flowers - 10 mins
1.5 oz Glacier (or other benign aroma hop) - 2 mins
.5 oz bagged dried jasmine flowers - steep
.5 oz Amarillo - steep

Use attenuative American ale yeast such as Wyeast #1056
OG: 1.062

Brewed the AG version of this last weekend and just pulled a gravity sample. 1.064 down to 1.012 and man is this going to be good :tank:

The Jasmine is showing through nicely with just some subtle floral notes on the front end.

I subsituted 2 oz. of Chinook for the German Northern Brewer. All else is the same.

I'll call my version

Femme Fatale Jasmine IPA

Femme Fatale Tap Handle Label.jpeg

Is it just me or are we missing the amount of the Northern Brewer addition?

EDIT - my bad, I didn't read your 2nd post above about using the chinook.

The original recipe calls for 7.5 AAUs for the NB addition. When I plugged that number into promash, it calculated out to around 4 oz. but pushed my total IBUs to over 100. I've had this beer on many occasions (in fact, I had one about an hour ago) and it is no where near 100 IBUs. I subbed 2oz. of Chinook and my IBUs are right around 87. Dick doesn't list the IBUs for this recipe. I'll have to ask him where they come in at but based on my tasting today, I'd say that this beer comes in much closer to the low-mid 80's than 100+ IBUs.

Here's a picture of the finished product. It really tastes great! Crystal clear, hoppy, nice Jasmine aroma. I'll definitely brew this again.
Avatar Jasmine IPA Clone 001.jpg

Pardon the newb question but when they say "Steep" in here for the amarillo and the jasmine do they mean during the mash, at flame out, or dry hop?

Thanks for this one! I brewed it up last month, it's excellent!

To those looking for Jasmin pearls, I found an organic farm selling them on amazon for a good price.

Recently tried Elysians Jasmine. Wasn't a fan. Jasmine was too weak...

Are you a woman? :D

I'm kidding. Liking the jasmine isn't one bit bad, and I could live with a little more. It's so spendy, though!

I love Avatar, and I tried Brewtopia's clone. I pitched Notty, and ended up with a slight tartness that's not in the commercial. I find I get that with Notty if I ferment too warm, though. Otherwise, this clone was quite close.

Hi, I want to double check with people that brewed this. 7.5AAU of northern brewer? That puts the beer to about 30ish IBUs. That's quite low for an IPA. Does the jasmine add a lot of bitterness?

I just ordered some dry jasmine flowers.. Whats the difference between flowers and "pearls?"

Jasmine pearls are "balls" of green tea that have been flavored with Jasmine blossoms. They'll add tannins and a tea flavor to your brew you may not be looking for.

Jasmine flowers are the way to go.

Jasmine pearls are "balls" of green tea that have been flavored with Jasmine blossoms. They'll add tannins and a tea flavor to your brew you may not be looking for.

I just used the pearls on mine and it came out quite close to the original. Slightly more nose, slightly less flavor.

Good to know.. Do you guys see any reason why I can't use regular dextrin malt instead of the Cara-hell Weyermann?

I am thinking of going with 3 oz of 8.5% AAU Northern Brewer for this.. This gets my IBU's up to 83 or so. I am having trouble trying to calculate the 7.5 AAU addition of NB hops. That comes to close to 4.5 oz and pushes my IBU's up into the hundreds..

For the record, I made this batch last year and it turned out "acceptable". The jasmin flowers I ordered from an herb company were very dry and had very little odor so I bumped up the jasmine addition by 1/2 or so.. It came out smelling and tasting a little like perfume. Beware and don't overdo it on the jasmine.

I'm sitting at Elysian right now, Avatar is brewed with Pale, 45 crystal, munich, carahells malts. Bitterered with German NB, finished with glacier and amrillo. Dried with jasmine in the boil and hop back. 6.3% abv, 45 IBU. Amazing ipa, gonna have to make this one! Cheers!

I bought some jasmine flowers on a whim at the Chinese supermarket the other week and have been looking for uses for them.. I think I've found one!

Looking to brew this at the weekend, although I'm probably going to use Admiral as the main hop - I have a bundle.

Latest posts

Back