Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Extract - All Amarillo IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #351
Newgene
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have had a pound of amarillo in the freezer for a year for some amarillo/simcoe black ipa that I haven't brewed since then. I really need to crank out 5 gallons of this to see what all the fuss is about. I'm guessing I won't be disappointed.

I just need to wait until I brew the porter this weekend. Then, I can come back to this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #352
2matt
Recipes 

Just finished off my first keg of this last week. Brewing another batch today with leaf hops instead of pellets. I'll be interested to taste the difference (first time using leaf hops). I stuck pretty close to the recipe. Only changes were the amount of water I steeped the grains in (closer to 3 gallons instead of 1.5) and the fermentation time and temp. I did a three week primary fermentation at 68 degrees and no secondary. Not sure how much that may have changed the profile (if at all), but I've been using this method recently for pretty much all my beers and it seems to work well across the board.

I haven't brewed a ton of beers, but I have to say this is probably the best I've done so far. It's also the only recipe I've duplicated. I usually like to mix it up and try new ones every time, but I was so sad when I tapped this keg that I just had to make more. When (not if) I make it a third time I may think about dry hopping just to add a bit more hop character.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #353
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Same here. I'm on batch 4 varying tis recipe with hop additions and amount. I just did a one ounce dry hop. It is my first time dry hopping. I just kegged it and so far it is the best batch so far. The sample before I locked it up to carb was phenomenal. I'll be dry hopping this from now on. It is staying in my regular rotation also

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #354
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm waiting to dry this one now. It's been 9 days in the primary, and it fermented at 61-62 degrees. I turned it up to 63-64 on day 6. I'm playing with fermenting colder, and I figured I would give this one a shot. I subbed the bittering addition with simcoe, but I calculated it to the same IBU value. Should be the same. With the cost of amarillo, I figured it wouldn't hurt to sub out the early addition hops.

I'll toying with a 7-10 day 2 ounce dry hop. I think I'll wind up with an 8-9 day drop hop just due to my schedule. I'm also going to dry hop in the primary. I'll post back when I finally taste this one.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #355
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well, I went with a 7 day dry hop with 2 oz of amarillo. This has a very in your face grapefruit taste at the time of bottling. I think it's gonna be very good. It tastes pretty good even completely flat.

Edit: I opened one up after 2 days of carbonation. I couldn't wait. It is very strong like grapefruit, but it is also very bitter. Beersmith has mine at 57.3 IBU. So, it is probably about what it should be. It's a very good beer. I think I may be getting tired of very bitter beers. I think next time I will lighten up the early additions and move them to the back end or leave them out. I'll likely do something in between an APA and IPA...maybe around 35-40 IBU. Still one of the better IPA's I've had in a while.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #356
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Just scored a lb of Amarillo pellets from my LBHS! Going to brew this up right after Xmas.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #357
Brizzo
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this a year ago and have probably 36 bottles left. I didn't really enjoy it t first bu a year later the beer is perfectly clear and it tastes 200% Better then a year ago. I had three different people sample it tonight and everyone said the same thing, tastes like pure grapefruit juice. This was the first Amarillo beer I ever made and I guess I dint realize how much of. Grapefruit flavor Amarillo has. I definitely prefer cascade and Simcoe though.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #358
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzo View Post
I brewed this a year ago and have probably 36 bottles left. I didn't really enjoy it t first bu a year later the beer is perfectly clear and it tastes 200% Better then a year ago. I had three different people sample it tonight and everyone said the same thing, tastes like pure grapefruit juice. This was the first Amarillo beer I ever made and I guess I dint realize how much of. Grapefruit flavor Amarillo has. I definitely prefer cascade and Simcoe though.
A year old IPA? Sounds like you don't like IPA's much if you like them aged a year.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #359
Brizzo
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

I love ipa s, pretty much all I drink, this one was straight grape fruit, tasted like fruit juice. I was expecting more of a cascade/chinook piney,resiny sensation. This one is really good, I just needed to figure out what I was tasting. Really my first experience with all Amarillo.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #360
Areba
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this about a month ago and dry hopped with 2 oz of Amarillo.

It is a great brew! Thanks!

Quick Reply