Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Extract - All Amarillo IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #21
ak47clown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

defintely-i'd love to do a swap. I think either tomorrow or Wednesday i'm gonna head to my LHBS and see what he thinks about dry hopping-maybe i'll even pickup a different variety if he's got any recommendations... Guess that won't really make it something like almost all amarillo IPA lol...

:::_____________:::

Primary: Bass Ackwards Brew
Secondary:
Bottled: Magic Hat #9 clone, Amarillo IPA, Lemon Coriander Weiss
Up next: ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 04:21 AM   #22
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

i'd like to try this one out for my 2nd brew.

I like the idea of using 5 oz of hops instead of 4 but have a question. Would it be better to add the extra oz of hops during the boil or do a dry hop?

I would consider myself a hop head but don't want to just start throwing in hops willy nilly , especially on the 2nd brew.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #23
DuckAssassin
Recipes 

I would suggest making the original recipe first, then based on your impression, you can change it up. I have my second batch going right now and the only changes I made were boil volume (4 gallons) and late extract addition (4 lbs. at 10). It is very good as is. 4 oz of amarillo gives you a lot of flavor without being overpowering. People who have tried this have asked for more whenever they stop by the house. I have had a hard time holding out a few bottles to taste over time.

If you really wanted it to be super hop heavy, I would go with a dry hop.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 AM   #24
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

thanks duck,

I've got Amarillo and Cascade hops right now. What would the difference be with 1 oz of cascade dry hopped vs amarillo.

I guess I would have to change the name if I used Cascade, huh?

Old 02-27-2009, 02:48 AM   #25
ak47clown
Recipes 

I ended up dry hopping with glacier hops-it's a very floral hop apparently. To my understanding, dry hopping is more for aroma than anything. Either way it came out damn good-i don't think you can go wrong

Secondary:

Old 03-01-2009, 01:14 AM   #26
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

Ok so I've pulled together the ingredients for this after a trip to my LHBS, which isn't that local as it is 130 km away. Never mind that my friend is (fingers crossed) bringing me back whole amarillo hops from the big city.

However the LHBS didn't have some of the ingredients so we've subbed out extra light DME for Pale LME. Using the calculation in this post I've come back with ~8lbs of Pale LME. Any concerns around me making the switch from DME to LME?

He also didn't have Safale yeast so I grabbed some Windsor and some Nottingham. Which one should i use? He suggested the Windsor as it was pretty close to the Munton's someone used earlier in the thread.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #27
ak47clown
Recipes 

I had used Munton's which turned out great. Of the two you got, it looks like you might be better off with the nottingham. Looks like it's more suited towards ales than the Windsor. In regards to DME or LME, as long as you did the calculations I think you should be fine

Secondary:

Old 03-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #28
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

I brewed up a batch last night. I had to make a few substitutions because of local supply:

I used Nottingham yeast and used Pale LME. However after taking an OG and finding a low reading I made and read some posts to find out why. Turns out I used an incorrect conversion for DME to LME that i found in this thread. Apparently that was an incorrect calculation. I used 7.5 lbs of LME and I should've used almost 9!

The other reason for the low OG was a noob mistake. I simply forgot to dump the wort back and forth between the brew pot and primary a few times. ( i'd put a :redface: smiley in here if i could)

In the end I followed the hop schedule in the original recipe. Did a 3 gallon boil. It's in the primary bucket right now. I'll move it to a secondary in a week. I was thinking about dry hopping but now, because of the LME mistake I doubt it needs it.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #29
DuckAssassin
Recipes 

I thought your conversion to 8 lbs mentioned above seemed a little on the low side, but you linked to a Revvy post to say where you got the calc, so I wasn't going to question it. I have read a few things saying DME ratio should be between 75 and 80% of the LME amount. I should have said something. It will come out with a lower ABV, but that will just make it more of a session beer.

Did you do a late addition on the extract? I wouldn't worry about it either way, but if not, you probably wouldn't get the IBUs up too crazy high. Also, dry hopping won't make it any more bitter, so if you wanted to dry hop, I say go for it (though my first batch was really good without a dry hop, and I did batch two the same way).

Old 03-11-2009, 05:31 AM   #30
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

The conversion on DME to LME was wrong. I made a thread in the beginner's brew forum about it and it went a few pages. The conversion Revvy used might originate from the Palmer book. Rather the best source is to go to manufacturer websites and see that the calclulation is to multiply by 1.25 not 1.1.

Basically i put in around 7.5 lbs lme when i should've used 8.75lbs. Like you said Duck it'll have a lower ABV.

I did not do a late extraction. I added it all at the beginning after steeping my crystal and bringing that to a boil. What does a late extraction provide?

I will check the gravity at the end of this week and eventually move it to a secondary. I'll probably dry hop it since i have an oz of amarillo left over. Anyone have a recommended dry hop schedule? I have never done it before.

Last edited by TacoGuthrie; 03-11-2009 at 05:35 AM.

Quick Reply