Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Extract - All Amarillo IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #221
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 116

After reading all 22 pages of this thread I just had to try this one. My fermenting bucket just became available again.

I just returned from the LHBS and have everything ready for brewing this tomorrow morning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #222
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Beergolf - go for it!

Funny, I just racked mine off into a keg last night, very very tasty beer, nice and in your face hoppy. I can see it is going to taste very similar to a local brew house's IPA - which I love. Obviously the beer is immature, but the grapefruit is coming through loud and proud, I assume a more pronouced maltiness will set in after aging, like the one at the local brew place near me. I think this one is going to be a big winner - I used to grab growlers from there.... Not when I can homebrew it!

Update:
Without question, using the Burton Ale yeast was a great choice. I will be brewing another batch of this in a few weeks - not sure if this will last long on draft, I can't put it down....

My Amarillo hops were torqued up a bit on their AAU's so that may have helped it as well (9.2% versus 8%).

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #223
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Looking forward to trying this one. I brewed a batch last night using my last 4.8oz of amarillo hops pellets (additions at 60min, 30min, 15min, and 2min). Used amber DME because Midwest was sold out of light when I stopped in. Also am using the new Wyeast Headwaters Ale yeast, available only through Midwest. Going to do 3 1/2 or 4 weeks in primary. Can't wait to try this dark IPA when the snow begins to melt a bit in March!

UPDATE: Yikes. This thing is going gangbusters in my pale. Had to leave it in the bathtub last night in case the lid blew off! I've never had such an explosive fermentation before.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #224
Opus_X
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this yesterday. This is what I did:

5 gallon batch/ 3 gallon boil
4 pounds pale ale LME
3 pounds golden light DME
1.8 pounds 2 row caramel 40
1.5 oz Amarillo pellets at 60 minutes
1.5 oz Amarillo pellets at 20 minutes
1 oz Amarillo pellets at 5 minutes
1 oz Amarillo pellets at flame out
1 oz Amarillo pellets dry
Wyeast 1056

Process: Steep grains at 152 degrees for 30 minutes. Add the DME then bring to a boil. Add the LME at 10 minutes. I bagged all hops. Pitched at 78F, fermenting away at 66F.

The AA's on my pellets were 7.2%.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #225
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The grapefruit did tone down a lot from my initial drinking samples, but still there and nice and bitter. But this is still a great easy drinking (strong ABV but you won't taste it) IPA. I will be brewing it again soon, already grabbed more of the 9.2% hops in prep.

Borden - you mean dark IPA because you used the amber right? Otherwise - this one isn't dark at all by the original recipe.

Mine had a wicked violent ferment too, but I thought it was the burtons yeast I used, one of my favorites. I am waiting for my 6.5 carboy to free up for the next brew - I had some blow over on my 6.0 gallon carboy.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #226
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Borden - you mean dark IPA because you used the amber right? Otherwise - this one isn't dark at all by the original recipe.
Yup.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #227
Fastmetal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this today and can't wait to try it. I am going to dry hop it with another ounce in about 7 days.

Kegs- :-(
Primary- :-(

Old 02-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #228
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Very cool fastmetal - I already ordered more dme and should get it wednesday. Hope to brew a second batch this weekend or midweek. This time i am going to dry hop.

You won't regret it - I kegged it on 1/11/11 (started drinking it on 1/15/11) - keg was kicked 1/29/11!

Just curious, for those of you who dry hopped, does the AAUs matter? I mean since the dry hopping is for aroma, it shouldn't matter about the AAU's rght?

I ask because I have 4oz of amarillo 9.2 and one of 7.6%, I was thinking of using the weaker AAU for dry hopping.

What do you guys think. Dry hopping time a weeks in the secondary? I have never dry hopped before, so thanks for any direction you can give.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #229
mbtech
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Very cool fastmetal - I already ordered more dme and should get it wednesday. Hope to brew a second batch this weekend or midweek. This time i am going to dry hop.

You won't regret it - I kegged it on 1/11/11 (started drinking it on 1/15/11) - keg was kicked 1/29/11!

Just curious, for those of you who dry hopped, does the AAUs matter? I mean since the dry hopping is for aroma, it shouldn't matter about the AAU's rght?

I ask because I have 4oz of amarillo 9.2 and one of 7.6%, I was thinking of using the weaker AAU for dry hopping.

What do you guys think. Dry hopping time a weeks in the secondary? I have never dry hopped before, so thanks for any direction you can give.
I've dry hopped this in the secondary for 2 weeks. I've also made a different IPA and actually dry hopped in the keg. But either choice is recommended.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #230
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtech View Post
I've dry hopped this in the secondary for 2 weeks. I've also made a different IPA and actually dry hopped in the keg. But either choice is recommended.
Did you prefer either method over the other? Did you dy hop one ounce? Or another amount?

I can go keg or secondary for dry hopping, so if one produces better results than another, I will go that route.

Thanks for the info!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply