Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Extract - All Amarillo IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 03:55 AM   #11
NoBull6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just brewed this tonight. Accidentally put 1oz of Amarillo in only 15 minutes into the boil instead of 45 minutes. Oh well, I'm sure this will be fine. I'll post an update when it comes out of the fermenter in a few months.

Primary - Amarillo IPA
Secondary - Nothing
Coming up - Apfelwein
Bottled - Caramel Wheat, Raspberry Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #12
DuckAssassin
Recipes 

I just cracked open my first bottle of this brew last night, and it was very good. The Amarillo hops make for a different, but excellent IPA. I did a few things differently, in part unintentionally (was out of town at 3 weeks when I originally meant to bottle). I increased the boil volume to 3 gallons to try and get a little more hop utilization, added half of the DME at flameout and fermented in primary only for one month at 65*. I will definitely brew this recipe again in the near future with about an ounce more hops spread out over the process, but the result is very good as is, and I think it will be very popular with friends and familly. (EDIT: I am brewing this again in the original recipe, the reviews have been too good to mess with it without more of a pipeline)

Thanks to TheJadedDog for sharing this.

Last edited by DuckAssassin; 01-05-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:45 AM   #13
ak47clown
Recipes 

gonna give this a shot tomorrow. I see that the fermentation temp listed is 60 degrees. I can either put this in the basement or upstairs-the basement stays between 57-60 and upstairs is between 68-72. Can anyone give me some advice on what my best bet would be?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:27 AM   #14
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just brewed this last night and its fermenting away happily. Cant wait to try it out.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
ak47clown
Recipes 

Sweet! Didn't get around to brewing it this weekend but hopefully tomorrow i'll get the time

Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
ak47clown
Recipes 

Just brewed this today with a combination of a few suggestions that I gathered. I used thebeerbrewer's hop schedule with 5oz of hops and added 3lbs of DME in the beginning of the boil and the rest at the end as I wanted to try a late extract addition. As far as ingrediants, my LHBS only had crystal 25 and 50 so I opted for the 25 and used 12oz instead of 1/2lb. Also used munton's gold instead... lookin forward to this one!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #17
DuckAssassin
Recipes 

ak47clown,

Keep us posted on your results. I am interested in how it will work out with 5 oz of hops. I am planning to brew my second batch this week, and after some additional reading I may try and push the limits of my brew pot and boil 4 gallons. Munton's Gold is the yeast you used?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #18
ak47clown
Recipes 

yup-munton's premium gold was what I picked up. My LHBS didn't have much of a choice when it came to dry yeasts and I wasn't ready to do a liquid yeast yet (that'll come maybe for my 3rd brew).

I'll defintely keep you guys posted on how it goes. It's a shame that thebeerbrewer never updated how his turned out but we'll see. My temperature adjusted OG was 1.064 so that's fairly close to the one listed in this recipe.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 AM   #19
ak47clown
Recipes 

Well at 4 days in i checked the SG and got a reading of 1.017-not too bad at all-i struggle with maintaining a consistent temp when fermenting but i've tried to keep it between 66 and 70 the past few days. I couldn't let the SG reading go to waste so i sampled it and i'm impressed. It's defintely got a nice hop flavor to it and i'm defintely considering dry hopping it when i rack to the secondary in few days. I'm thinking that an additional oz. is gonna add just the right zing to it. we'll see...

:::_____________:::

Primary: Bass Ackwards Brew
Secondary:
Bottled: Magic Hat #9 clone, Amarillo IPA, Lemon Coriander Weiss
Up next: ?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
DuckAssassin
Recipes 

I think that my fist batch came out to an FG of about 1.017, although I think my OG was a little higher than yours at 1.070. It was my second batch and I don't think I accounted for enough boil-off, though it may not have been mixed well enough.

When yours is done, let me know if you would like to exchange a bottle to compare.

Quick Reply