Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   India Pale Ale (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/)
-   -   All Amarillo IPA (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/all-amarillo-ipa-28517/)

TheJadedDog 04-28-2007 04:13 AM

All Amarillo IPA
 
7lbs Muntons Extra Light DME
1/2lb Crystal 40

Steeped in 1.5 gallons of 160 deg water for 20 minutes.

1.5 oz Amarillo 8%AA for 60 Min
1 oz Amarillo 8%AA for for 15 Min
1 oz Amarillo 8%AA for for 5 Min
.5 oz Amarillo 8%AA for at flameout

Beer came out nice and smooth with just the right amount of hop bitterness for me. Real hop heads might want to up the hop additions and consider dry-hopping.

sphericalcamel 07-09-2007 02:06 AM

Just tried my attempt at this yesterday as I put it in the keg and I like it. Now I just have to fight the urge to drink it all right away and actually let it age a bit.

(only thing I changed was used Cal Ale yeast instead and went a bit longer on primary and secondary because I'm too lazy to transfer things sometimes)

sphericalcamel 07-15-2007 04:02 AM

Just got back from entering this in my local club IPA competition and everyone liked the beer although the judges were split on hop level. I'm with TheJadedDog on this, good hop level for me but hopheads will want to add more hops.

Bearcat Brewmeister 07-19-2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphericalcamel
Just got back from entering this in my local club IPA competition and everyone liked the beer although the judges were split on hop level. I'm with TheJadedDog on this, good hop level for me but hopheads will want to add more hops.

Was your beer one of the first to be judged or did it go later? It could be that some of the judges got "hopped out". If your judges were split, this would be a good explanation. For competition AHA, IPA, DIPA, I hop at the top end of the scale in case I have to overcome judge's palate fatigue.

sphericalcamel 07-19-2007 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat Brewmeister
Was your beer one of the first to be judged or did it go later? It could be that some of the judges got "hopped out". If your judges were split, this would be a good explanation. For competition AHA, IPA, DIPA, I hop at the top end of the scale in case I have to overcome judge's palate fatigue.

It was fifth, so thats possible. In my case I was making it for me and just matched up with the competition so I entered it. In the future I'll probably bump up the hops like you do for that reason.

StallionMang 10-25-2007 05:06 PM

question
 
What is the volume of the boil for this? 2 gallons?

TheJadedDog 10-26-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StallionMang
What is the volume of the boil for this? 2 gallons?

The answer to this question can be found in this thread.

homebeerbrewer 06-03-2008 07:41 PM

I brewed a batch of this last night. You can read more about it on my blog at TheBrewBlog.com. I used 5 oz. of Amarillo hops instead of the 4 used by TheJadedDog, and I'll be posting the results on my blog when it's ready.

Thanks for the recipe.

Righlander 06-09-2008 03:34 AM

I think I'm going to make this soon. Seems easy and good.

homebeerbrewer 07-18-2008 12:58 AM

I gotta say, this is (and soon to be was) a good beer. The additional ounce of Amarillo hops makes it just right in my opinion.

Thanks for the recipe.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:02 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.