Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Admiral Nelson RIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germey

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
NA
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days, 66 F
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Abundant citrus and layered hops, but supported by a rich malt backbone.
My brewing style is fairly, uh, spur of the moment, and this recipe comes out pretty consistent. Little things like a few oz different malts or the exact timing of the hop additions will not change anything. The only detail to sweat on this recipe may be the Honey Malt. It is not available everywhere, but it is a significant part of the malt profile. Other than that, it is a pretty robust recipe. If the steps below seem anal, it is because I copied and pasted them out of Beer Alchemy, because I am, indeed, lazy.
I love big hop beers, but I like them better when the hop flavor is layered, and there is a rich multi layered malt profile supporting the big hop flavor.
This beer was inspired by Alpine Brewing's Nelson. I love the intense grapefruit aroma that comes off that beer, but find the overall beer to be a bit hop-centric (this will not be an insult to Alpine).
Try it, let me know how it works out. I am a recognized BJCP judge and will happily give you an official competition write-up on any samples you can get to me ;)

Grain Bill: (single infusion - 1 hr @ 154. I batch sparge, but so what)
2 Row - 9.8 lbs
Belgian Vienna Malt - 3 lb
US Rye Malt - 2.5 lb
Belgian Aromatic Malt 2 lb
Gambrinus Canadian Honey Malt - 2 lb
40 L Caramel malt - 2 lb

Hops:
5 oz Nelson Sauvin -.5 oz all of boil
-1 oz ea at 45 and 30 min from the end
- 2 oz 10 min from end
-.5 oz dry hopped

1.5 oz Simcoe -1 oz 5 min from end
-.5 oz dry hopped

1 oz Amarillo -.5 oz at flame out
-.5 oz dry hopped

Targets
Gravity Before Boil: 1.050 SG (12.6 Brix)

Volume Before Boil: 12.00 US gals
Volume Transferred: 10.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 10.00 US gals

Total Water Required: 14.50 US gals
Original Gravity: 1.057 SG (14.4 Brix)
Final Gravity: 1.013 to 1.011 SG (8.0 Brix)

Volume After Boil: 10.50 US gals
Water Added To Dilute: 0.00 US gals
Volume Of Finished Beer: 9.50 US gals

If necessary crush the grains.

Set up your stuff for a strike temp of 154 deg F. I usually do 1.5 quarts per pound, but I don't think it is critical.

Mashing
Dough in the following fermentable ingredients.

9lb 8oz of US 2-Row Malt
3lb 0oz of Belgian Vienna Malt
2lb 8oz of US Rye Malt
2lb 0oz of Belgian Aromatic Malt
2lb 0oz of Canadian Honey Malt (Gambrinus)
2lb 0oz of US Caramel 40L Malt
Mash pH should be 5.2.

Allow the temperature to stabilize at 154 degF. Allow to rest at this temperature for 60 minutes.

Sparge the grains and top up if necessary to obtain 12.00 US gals of wort (requires 9.07 US gals).

Add the following hops at the times given.

0.50 oz of NZ Nelson Sauvin (All Of Boil)
1.00 oz of NZ Nelson Sauvin (45 Min From End)
1.00 oz of NZ Nelson Sauvin (30 Min From End)
2.00 oz of NZ Nelson Sauvin (10 Min From End)
1.00 oz of US Simcoe (5 Min From End)
Boil the wort for a total of 60 minutes.

At 'turn off' add 0.50 oz of US Amarillo

Chill the wort to the appropriate pitching temperature and rack the wort to your fermenter(s).

Fermentation
The desired volume at pitching is 10.00 US gals.

Pitch 1 pack(s) of S-05 to each carboy.
Do not rack to secondary. This beer is typically good at 3 to 4 weeks. It does not get "worse" with maturity (within limits) but I personally like the fresh hop character. I keg, so I usually throw it in the keg at 3 to 4 weeks with the dry hops in a hop sack and start carbonating it as as slowly as I can stand. I am usually cheating with 1/2 carbed samplers the whole time. Like I said, I love the fresh hop character. Once it clears i will start sharing with friends and putting some in bottles (usually about a week)

Thanks for sharing this... ordering the ingredients tomorrow and will let you know how it turns out!

when do you recommend dry hopping if bottling and for how long? So far its looking great!

If you are a secondary fermentor kind of person, I would but it in there. I personally hardly ever bother. I would definitely dry hop, though. It will just take a bit longer. Dry hop once the visible fermentation has subsided, wait for it all to clear up, then bottle. You do use a hop sack for dry hopping, don't you?

I was planing on dry hopping in a spare grain bag that i have in the primary. was gonna let it go 3 weeks in carboy and then dry hop and bottle in the 4th week. I also was planing on using the yeast cake to pitch my recently purchase Pliney clone from AHS unless someone can talk me out of it.

I was planing on dry hopping in a spare grain bag that i have in the primary. was gonna let it go 3 weeks in carboy and then dry hop and bottle in the 4th week. I also was planing on using the yeast cake to pitch my recently purchase Pliney clone from AHS unless someone can talk me out of it.

may not be ideal, but the hop resins in a Pliny clone will cover many off flavors. Pliny is not a big beer, and pitching on a full yeast cake is pretty much guaranteeing a overpitch.

ill take the yeast and put it in a sanitized jar, clean the carboy and then repitch onto the Pliny. Would half the yeast cake still be over pitching? I have trouble understanding the pitch rate calculator when using a yeast cake.

PS So far so good, this beer smells GREAT! Still hoping i can get it to dry out enough.

curious about this recipe.. I have been diggin' the simcoe and amarillo combo, just had an amazing all Nelson IIPA and really love the character rye adds - I am wondering if anyone has tried this with W1450 yeast? I have been using that a lot and love how it produces a great clean beer that helps the malts stand out with a great silky mouthfeel.

The only other yeasts I've tried were Nottingham and Safale US-04 (both more English-y) In both cases the beer was good, but not better in my opinion. The only thing I can say is that it was noticeably different. Give it a shot!

Bumping super old post... 'cuz I can!

Germey, I hope you see this! I LOVE Nelson, it is an exceptional beer and I can't help but think about it. It was one of those beers that slaps you in the face with flavor, and without a doubt leaves an impression on your palate (and your mind). So when I bought a bottle of Stone's collab IPA 'More Brown than Black' and tasted/smelled some of those amazing Nelson hops, I knew I had to brew a Nelson.

A couple questions. How'd it turn out? Also, did you dry hop this? Thanks!

Keesh,
This is one of my staple beers. I've experimented many time since with yeast, hops, etc. but have yet to improve on the recipe posted.
I dry hop in the keg. I put the Amarillo hops, and frequently some more nelson in a hop sack and just let it float for the life of the keg.
I am overdue for sourcing and buying my nelson hops for the year. Last year we did a big bulk buy with members of the Society of Barley engineers and Quaff through Hydrobrew. I am going to get something similar started in the next few days.
What part of SD are you in? (Do I know you?:mug:)

Keesh,
This is one of my staple beers. I've experimented many time since with yeast, hops, etc. but have yet to improve on the recipe posted.
I dry hop in the keg. I put the Amarillo hops, and frequently some more nelson in a hop sack and just let it float for the life of the keg.
I am overdue for sourcing and buying my nelson hops for the year. Last year we did a big bulk buy with members of the Society of Barley engineers and Quaff through Hydrobrew. I am going to get something similar started in the next few days.
What part of SD are you in? (Do I know you?:mug:)

Awesome, I am definitely going to be getting a batch of this started soon.

I would love to get into some kind of bulk buy for Nelson, I have some extra money to put into ingredients on account of it being tax season. If you would be so inclined we could do one together.

Which of those clubs would you recommend looking into? I have been meaning to join one, especially because my desire to homebrew has done nothing but worsen (for the better of course).

You probably don't know me, I am in central SD while you are in RB. However I work for the Brigantine restaurants so you probably have been to either that or the sister restaurant, Miguel's.

any other opinions from those who have brewed this? It sounds great and will be brewing it soon.

Also, what the AA% on hops used, leaf or pellets?

The only detail to sweat on this recipe may be the Honey Malt. It is not available everywhere, but it is a significant part of the malt profile. Other than that, it is a pretty robust recipe.

So what exactly does honey malt add to this recipe? I'm thinking of making something similar, but do not have honey malt and would prefer not to make a special run for it.

I love big hop beers, but I like them better when the hop flavor is layered, and there is a rich multi layered malt profile supporting the big hop flavor.
This beer was inspired by Alpine Brewing's Nelson. I love the intense grapefruit aroma that comes off that beer, but find the overall beer to be a bit hop-centric (this will not be an insult to Alpine).

Did you get direction from Pat at Alpine on this recipe, or did that beer simply "inspire" you to make a Nelson Sauv Rye? The reason I ask is that, like you mentioned, I have a palette that leans much towards Alpine Beer Co.'s super aromatic, hop-centric and dry approach, and would like to do my best to attempt the original.

Has anyone else brewed this? The lack of comments makes me wonder, but I'm looking to get close to Alpine's Nelson and this look delicious!

Anyone else try this?

Back