All Grain Yeast:
Conan Yeast Starter:
yes Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter:
WLP090 Batch Size (Gallons):
6 Original Gravity:
1.067 Final Gravity:
69 Boiling Time (Minutes):
36.8 Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
14 days @ 67F Tasting Notes:
Similar hop aroma/bitterness, darker, slightly less roasty, with darker foam
Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Style: American IPA (14B)
Boil Size: 7.80 gal
Color: 36.8 SRM
Equipment: Pot (10 Gal/40 L) - BIAB
Bitterness: 68.9 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.065 (15.8° P)
Mash Profile: Single Infusion, No Mash Out, Mash at 150F
Est FG: 1.012 SG (3.0° P)
13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
20.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM)
13.6 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
13.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1.3 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.6 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 30 min
1.2 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 5 min
2.2 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 0 min
2.2 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Dry Hop 7 days
Split batch after cooling: pitched equivalent amounts of harvested Conan yeast (from Heady Topper cans) and WLP090 to test the differences. Made starters on both.
I know there is a thread about cloning this beer and the "Can You Brew It" episode
, but in looking at 21st Amendment's Back in Black page
, they list the ingredients and they must have changed them (mostly the hops) since then.
I brewed this about 5 weeks ago. I brewed 6 gallons so I could split it into 3 gal batches and test out the differences between Conan yeast and WLP090 and split the 6 gal by 3 people. If you scale it to 5 gallons the hops probably come out to whole numbers.
Here are my tasting notes:
- First, the Conan vs the WLP090 made no difference in taste. The WLP090 got it down to 1.013 and the Conan got it down to 1.015.
- Mine is darker, but I'd say a bit less roasty. I don't mind the roastiness of the BIB, but mine is good too. Not too much but it's there.
- I can see through the BIB, but not mine, when held up to the light.
- Hop aroma and bitterness are very close between the two.
- Mine had better head retention and the foam was darker.
- Mine had maybe a smidge more carbonation, which I think is a good thing.
So overall, I wouldn't say it's cloned because I could tell them apart by mostly the color, foam color and carbonation, but they aren't vastly different.
For my learning, what would cause the foam to be darker in my batches?
Here are some pictures. Hard to tell the color differences in the pictures, but you can tell when you hold it up to the light.