181 Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
s-04
Yeast Starter
yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
about 1 cup after stepping and decant
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 67
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 67
Tasting Notes
Really Damn hoppy. Continuios hopping worked great for this beer.
I normally do all grain but didnt have alot of time and wanted to get something in the fermenter. I know the hops are over the top but its great.

7# Extra light DME

Mini-Mash
1# American Rye
.75# American Vienna
.125# Biscuit malt
.125# Crystal 120

2oz Chinook 12.5aa% (60)

Then the rest of the hops, 2oz each of Chinook, Centennial and Cascade were combined in a bag. So 6oz total were slowely added from 30 minutes left in the boil till flame out. Just tossed in a few pellets at a time every minute or so for 30 minutes.

Yeast was s-04. I stepped up a starter on my stirplate for 3 days. Ended up pitching just under a cup of yeast after I decanted all the starter beer off of it.

This beer just went into keg last night and its amazing. So much "C" hop flavor its crazy. The rye malt is actually slightly noticable and gives a light dry spicy finish.

this sounds cool, how did it turn out?

my gf is a hop fiend and I may brew it as a present!

It was a little rough in the beginning but after 2 weeks it mellowed and was great. Very refreshing although it still had a bite in the after taste till it was gone. Next time I will absolutely cut the 60 min addition to 1.5oz

Back