Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #81
awarner322
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hey yooper...I have a batch of this that has been in primary for about 15 days...I see you say 21 day primary...would you recommend leaving it in primary for that last week...or you think I could get away with getting it in a keg to sit and start carbing up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #82
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpup View Post
Have you tried rousing the yeast? Ensure heat is up in your apartment and when your beer is in the mid 60's, swirl fermenter to resuspend the yeast. You may need to do that every couple of days for a week. I've had to rouse the yeast with a few strains, and it usually works out fine.

If that doesn't work, you could always pitch some dry yeast in to finish it out.

Cheers
Well, I've been a lot less gentle with this batch than I normally am, having to move it around in my house and from container to container to bathtub to another container. But I suppose I can try rousing.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #83
simtel20
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I accidentally put 8 oz of the chocolate malt in the bag and it got mixed in at the lhbs. It is now crushed with the rest of the grains. Anyone think that's going to kill the recipe, or is it worth going forward with it? I did put in 8lbs of the maris otter since I've been getting consistently low efficiency.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #84
buffaloipa
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

This looks great so I just ordered the ingredients and plan on brewing it next week. Substituting 1.3 oz. of Northdown to hit the same IBU's since I have it in the freezer and going with US-04 for the same reason. (I always keep lots of US-05 and 04on hand. Great yeasts.) I'm also going with 12 oz. of pale chocolate since it is less bitter than chocolate and it looks like that was your original intention.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #85
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've shared a few of these with some folks at work, and the reviews have been stellar. I brewed it full-on according to directions with the ingredients from Brewmaster's Warehouse.

I washed the yeast and used it in Dawson's Multigrain Red from Northern Brewer. I then washed that yeast and made the Surly Furious Pro from NB (it's currently fermenting nicely).

Thanks for the recipe. I always make sure to tell people it's your recipe; I like to give credit where credit is due!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #86
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 869

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2perc View Post
I've shared a few of these with some folks at work, and the reviews have been stellar. I brewed it full-on according to directions with the ingredients from Brewmaster's Warehouse.

I washed the yeast and used it in Dawson's Multigrain Red from Northern Brewer. I then washed that yeast and made the Surly Furious Pro from NB (it's currently fermenting nicely).

Thanks for the recipe. I always make sure to tell people it's your recipe; I like to give credit where credit is due!
Thank you- I'm glad it turned out so well for you. I'm happy that you like it!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #87
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Fabulous recipe. For various reasons, I could only eke out 1.023ish in FG and it's still good, at 4 weeks. I thought my OG would be higher than it ended up so I actually overbittered it, so maybe that lends itself to me not noticing the higher FG. In any case, the beer looks gorgeous. It's dark but it's actually surprisingly clear if you hold it up to the light. The head is a nice, creamy light brown. Yooper, you were not kidding: this head really does last and last! I was especially impressed with the lacing.

Thanks for the recipe. I'm sure it will be enjoyed on St. Patrick's day if I can keep myself out of them til then.

P.S. please excuse the fruity tapestry in the background; that was the only place with any light.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #88
Salpino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've now brewed this three times--twice per the exact recipe, and once with a yeast change.

I brewed this back in January using Wyeast 1099 (Witbread) with great success. I brought a bottle to our club meeting, and no one could believe that I hadn't added cocoa or chocolate nibs--the coffee and chocolate flavors are that pronounced. I kicked the keg in less than 3 weeks with the help of some friends. I rotate between this and Jamil's McQuaker Stout from Brewing Classic Styles, and everyone prefers Yooper's recipe.

Yooper, thanks for sharing--this makes an excellent beer!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #89
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 869

I'm so glad you like it! We just love it, and I'll be making it again this spring.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #90
Hardtack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Finally pulled the tap on the recipe this weekend and Oh MY God words can`t describe how God Damn good this beer is ,I used this to show a good friend how to brew beer and couldn`t possibly picked a better brew!
First thing I`m gonna do is brew this for Myself.

Dog Water Brewing

Quick Reply