Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #71
mrdauber64
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've had this beer fermenting for 2.5 weeks at around 62 degrees. I took a gravity reading today and it read 1.020 and tastes wonderful! Nice full body with a silky mouthfeel. My starting gravity was 1.058(a couple points higher than what the recipe states). Is 1.020 still too high for this beer to finish at? I did move it to a warmer location(about 68 degrees) to see if the yeast will do anything. I'm planning on bottling mid-week next week(I'll take another gravity reading then to see if it has changed at all).

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #72
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It could very well be done. Mine has been at 1.020 for over a week, and I have roused the yeast and given it a warmer home. Yup, 1.020 is where it's at.

Of course I've been sampling the hydrometer samples, and I can tell its really changed a lot. For the good! Like I've been reminded by fellow brewers, this recipe calls for a higher mash temp and has a lot of nonfermentables from specialty grains. I've made my peace with the 1.020. I think we'll end up with fine beers from this recipe!

Old 12-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #73
mrdauber64
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Nice! Thank you! I'm very excited to see how this turns out. I'm going to keep half the batch the way it is now and the other half is going to be made into a Java Oatmeal Stout. I'm going to try adding cold brewed coffee to taste. Hopefully it turns out similar to Bell's Java Stout!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #74
Hardtack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just ordered this one from BrewMasters,Thanks for puttin up there Yooper!

Kind of a late Christmas Present for me
It comes with a copy of Beersmith2 and a new Thermapen.

Dog Water Brewing

Old 01-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #75
MilesLong
Recipes 

In the keg, Fantastic!!!
Thanks Yooper

Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #76
bwirthlin
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts

I am very new to brewing. I've got my 2nd batch ever fermenting right now, and have only used malt extracts so far. I'm a big fan of oatmeal stouts (especially Alaskan stout) and would love to make one. I don't have any equipment or the knowledge to mash the grains. Do you think this recipe or something similar using oatmeal could be made using malt extract? Could I steep the oatmeal with the other grains before the boil, or add it in during the process and just strain it before fermentation? Thanks very much.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #77
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwirthlin View Post
I am very new to brewing. I've got my 2nd batch ever fermenting right now, and have only used malt extracts so far. I'm a big fan of oatmeal stouts (especially Alaskan stout) and would love to make one. I don't have any equipment or the knowledge to mash the grains. Do you think this recipe or something similar using oatmeal could be made using malt extract? Could I steep the oatmeal with the other grains before the boil, or add it in during the process and just strain it before fermentation? Thanks very much.
The oatmeal must be mashed- if you have enough space to mash all the grains plus a pound of base malt, you could probably do it.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #78
bwirthlin
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

The oatmeal must be mashed- if you have enough space to mash all the grains plus a pound of base malt, you could probably do it.
Cool, thanks a lot. It'll be something to work towards after I get a few more batches under my belt.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #79
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Anyone have this finish as high as 1.026? Unless my thermometer is off (have to check that when I get home) I think my mash was right on or pretty close. My apartment has been pretty cold while this was fermenting. I had a nice vigorous fermentation in my ~58-60 degree apartment which had it rockin at a steady 64. As the fermentation began to slow down and krausen dropped, a cold snap hit and my apartment got real cold. I try not to use the heat much, if at all. Anyway I woke up one morning and the damn apartment was under 50, the beer was in the low 50s and the gravity was 1.026. I couldn't babysit it that day so it sat around at that temp, then I raised it to 65-70 for a couple of days (pain in my ass with my system so it was kind of all over the place). No dice. Gravity still at 1.026, Day 14. Hydro sample is clear, nice color and actually it tastes good. I've never had a problem getting to FG before, and I've used this yeast 4 or 5 times. I used the 1335, and I pitched an adequate amount, aerated pretty good manually and used nutrients in the boil. Anyway I am too afraid to bottle at something like 55% app. attenuation but I'm not sure what to do.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #80
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPepe View Post
Anyone have this finish as high as 1.026? Unless my thermometer is off (have to check that when I get home) I think my mash was right on or pretty close. My apartment has been pretty cold while this was fermenting. I had a nice vigorous fermentation in my ~58-60 degree apartment which had it rockin at a steady 64. As the fermentation began to slow down and krausen dropped, a cold snap hit and my apartment got real cold. I try not to use the heat much, if at all. Anyway I woke up one morning and the damn apartment was under 50, the beer was in the low 50s and the gravity was 1.026. I couldn't babysit it that day so it sat around at that temp, then I raised it to 65-70 for a couple of days (pain in my ass with my system so it was kind of all over the place). No dice. Gravity still at 1.026, Day 14. Hydro sample is clear, nice color and actually it tastes good. I've never had a problem getting to FG before, and I've used this yeast 4 or 5 times. I used the 1335, and I pitched an adequate amount, aerated pretty good manually and used nutrients in the boil. Anyway I am too afraid to bottle at something like 55% app. attenuation but I'm not sure what to do.
Have you tried rousing the yeast? Ensure heat is up in your apartment and when your beer is in the mid 60's, swirl fermenter to resuspend the yeast. You may need to do that every couple of days for a week. I've had to rouse the yeast with a few strains, and it usually works out fine.

If that doesn't work, you could always pitch some dry yeast in to finish it out.

Cheers

Quick Reply