Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #221
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I dropped a VBean in the second batch today. Going to let it set until a couple days from Christmas.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #222
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I think I may brew this over my Christmas break. I happen to have all of the ingredients except for some victory malt, which I can easily pick up locally. I believe I'll use about half the alkalinity, though.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #223
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4474 Times on 3255 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
If I wanted a bit more of a roasty character to this brew, would it be as simple as just increasing the roasted barley by 2 oz. or so or would other parameters need to be changed? I brew a lot but don't know anything about recipe creation and what each grain imparts.
I honestly don't know, as I rarely use roasted barley and don't know how much adding it would increase the "roasty" flavors at all.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #224
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Is it just the roasted barley that adds that roaster character or a combination of the chocolate malts and roasted barley (and others?)? I am willing to experiment a little as I can't imaging 2 oz more really affecting it too much.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #225
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Is it just the roasted barley that adds that roaster character or a combination of the chocolate malts and roasted barley (and others?)? I am willing to experiment a little as I can't imaging 2 oz more really affecting it too much.
I don't use roasted barley in this stout- I use black barley, so I just simply don't know!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #226
InityBrew
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Hello!

I kegged this last week (after a 3 week primary) and let it condition at 68 (under pressure)in the keg for a week before chilling and carbonating.

It has been in the fridge for 3 days and it tastes and smells great but after a pint the back of my throat is dry.. weird.. Could it be astringency that is doing this?

I hit all of the numbers, used 5.2ph, didn't oversparge, and followed the recipe exactly. Do you think that maybe it just needs a little more time to condition?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #227
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InityBrew View Post
Hello!

I kegged this last week (after a 3 week primary) and let it condition at 68 (under pressure)in the keg for a week before chilling and carbonating.

It has been in the fridge for 3 days and it tastes and smells great but after a pint the back of my throat is dry.. weird.. Could it be astringency that is doing this?

I hit all of the numbers, used 5.2ph, didn't oversparge, and followed the recipe exactly. Do you think that maybe it just needs a little more time to condition?
Maybe. Or it could be the 5.2 buffer stuff. It's hard to guess, without knowing the water chemistry and mash pH.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #228
InityBrew
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Thanks for the quick response.

Is this what tannins / astringency would taste like? Its weird. the taste of the beer is phenomenal, but it dries the very back of my throat after a pint.

Also, I checked the ph during the mash / sparge and it was was good. For water, I use bottled spring water from the local supermarket. I will be getting into water chemistry soon, but i have been lazy about it because all of my beers in the last 6 months have turned out great.

Anyway, I am going to let it chill in the kegerator and will try it next week.

Haus Of Kane

Old 12-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #229
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

InityBrew,
Do you mean dry like been in the desert for a week, burning dry? Or rather a 'tongue puckering'? I've had a tongue puckering dryness on the back of my tongue with a couple beers after flash-carbonating (30psi for a couple days) in the kegerator. This disappears after the brew has reached the desired carbonation, however. I also use bottled spring water with no other additives and have zero complaints on this recipe.

Dyholm,
I've adjusted my grain bill on this base recipe by .1 lbs (about 1.6oz) with no apparent difference in flavor, but it depends on the grain. Something unintrusive like Crystal 60 is a different story than the potentially-overpowering Black Barley. When I think roasty flavor, the first thing that comes to mind is Black Patent. If I were going more coffee-like I'd use Black Barley. In both cases I'd use a quarter-pound as a starting point, perhaps backing off the Victory to reduce 'burnt biscuit' potential.
Of course, I've never actually constructed my own recipe and only alter those published by others, and may well be talking out my wazoo.

Damn this beer if good. Kyle

Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #230
jbags5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbags5 View Post
Brewed a version of this on Friday (subbed Fuggles/Goldings for Willamette, used British Ale 1098 b/c couldn't find the British Ale II).

Brewday went excellent. Made a 4 gallon batch. Hit numbers great. Aerated like normal, pitched yeast, and....bubbles within about 3 hours. That is very weird for me. Usually takes my beers about 18-24 hours to start fermentation. So I was excited.

After 12 hours (the next morning), I had crazy bubbles. Like 1-2 per second crazy bubbling fermentation. It was in my usual fermentation room, the ambient temps at 65 (stopped using my swamp cooler around October).

Nothing out of the ordinary in my brewing/sanitizing/fermentation process, but the fermentation (1) started faster than any other beer I've ever brewed (2) went more vigorously than any other beer I've ever done, and (3) is seemingly done/winding down now, 72 hours later (bubble every 30 seconds or so), making it the fastest fermenting brew I've ever done. Is anyone else getting a really fast and vigorous fermentation with this brew?

I don't make many porters/stouts (this is my 2nd, and my first AG stout -- made about 15 batches overall), so I'm just curious if this is a common thing with this type of beer.
Update - I bottled this puppy today. Smelled and looked great. Tasted a sample and it was fantastic.

FG was 1.020. I tried swirling the carboy after the first few days of rapid fermentation + raising the temp. But apparently it was done and I couldn't squeeze any more points out of it. Not too worried, but what does it mean for the brew, aside from losing a few ABV % points??

Quick Reply