Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #191
te3b0r
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I just saw this, so sorry I didn't answer sooner.

I never considered cocoa nibs- but I despise chocolate beyond belief. I hate the stuff, so I wouldn't make a chocolate anything (not even a cake). I have no experience at all with cocoa in beer. I'm sure many people do make chocolate stouts, though, with good results.
I am right there with ya Yooper that crap is nasty but for some reason in beer it seems to work great....

Okay so the real reason I posted was I think I screwed up. I only mashed for a hour and then aged 2.5 gallons on Oak Soaked Bourbon for a few days after about 3 weeks. Tossed in the keg tonight and while yes I just tossed in the keg it was thin, very very thin. Drinkable but still wasn't what I was after. My numbers were a bit off 1.050 and 1.009 so any hope in making this heavier or just lesson learned on mash time and brew it up again soon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #192
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I'd probably ditch the 5.2 buffer, and use 1.5 quarts/pound, unless you have a pH meter and/or know the exact make up of your water.
I fetched my water report. We've got some of the cleanest water in the country here.

Ca - 4.4
Mg - 1.87
Na - 5.2
S04 - 3.8
Cl - 3.6
CaC03 - 35
HCO3 - ????? (both hardness and alkalinity CaCO3 were 35--not sure if this is related)
pH - 7.2

Any recommendations? I always use tap water for my brews.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 11-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #193
GotPushrods
Bearded Lagerjack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
No, I've been using my tap water for this stout. My last one (drinking it right now, actually) was 100% tap water (Ca 57, Mg 26, Na 9, S04 45, Cl 14, CaC03 251, HCO3 228) with 3 grams of CaCl2 in the mash. I used 100% RO water for the sparge. Mash pH was 5.52, with a 1.5 quart/pound ratio in the mash.
Wow, I'm actually a little surprised by that. I always have pickling lime ready, but I've only had to use it a couple times on ridiculous imperials. I wonder how much of that alkalinity actually makes it from your HLT into the mash tun once it's been heated. (Possibly twice... do you fill your HTL from your hot water faucet?) I assume you got your water report from the cold faucet? Based on TDS readings alone, mine are noticeably different.

I'll just target 100 ppm total alkalinity (in the mash) and hope for low 4.4's. I'll save a small sample of the grain bill and water and see how I did when the new probe arrives!

Can't wait, thanks for the recipe!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #194
LoloMT7
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1248 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 3336

I just grabbed the grains/hops on my lunch break to brew this.. I will be pitching onto a yeast cake of wyeast 1318. The LHBS didn't have the pale chocolate so i got 1/2 lb of the 450 srm. Hope it still turns out

"Here's to you and here's to me and if we should ever disagree f* you and here's to me." My good Friend pasted away in 2004. In memory of Nick M.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #195
bleak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Yooper, I'm still a little bit confused by the "black barley" ingredient. My homebrew store only carries "roasted barley" and "black malt" from Hugh Baird & Sons, described on their website as roasted barley malt at 700°L, which sounds to me like black patent malt. The Briess website says the their "black barley" is a deep brown colored malt, but it is not interchangeable with black malt. Would I be better off substituting roasted barley for the "black barley," or should I just use the Hugh Baird & Sons "black malt?"

Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #196
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak View Post
Hey Yooper, I'm still a little bit confused by the "black barley" ingredient. My homebrew store only carries "roasted barley" and "black malt" from Hugh Baird & Sons, described on their website as roasted barley malt at 700°L, which sounds to me like black patent malt. The Briess website says the their "black barley" is a deep brown colored malt, but it is not interchangeable with black malt. Would I be better off substituting roasted barley for the "black barley," or should I just use the Hugh Baird & Sons "black malt?"
I don't know! I use the Briess black barley. It's not the same as black patent (like the Crisp black malt is) and it's not the same as roasted barley, either. Black malt might be the closest, but not the same.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #197
beargrylls
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think the black barley is just a darker version of roasted barley. These are not malted. Black malt (I think is the same as black patent) is malted and gives a different flavor than roasted barley and black barley.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #198
bleak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargrylls View Post
I think the black barley is just a darker version of roasted barley. These are not malted. Black malt (I think is the same as black patent) is malted and gives a different flavor than roasted barley and black barley.
The Breiss description of their "black barley": Black Barley is a deep brown colored malt with a coffee flavor, that is dry and intensely bitter.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #199
LoloMT7
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1248 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 3336

Brewed this today :-)

forumrunner_20121202_170339.jpg   forumrunner_20121202_170352.jpg   forumrunner_20121202_170421.jpg   forumrunner_20121202_170446.png  

"Here's to you and here's to me and if we should ever disagree f* you and here's to me." My good Friend pasted away in 2004. In memory of Nick M.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #200
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak View Post
The Breiss description of their "black barley": Black Barley is a deep brown colored malt with a coffee flavor, that is dry and intensely bitter.
You know, I was just thinking- I wonder if "coffee malt" is a better sub for the black malt? http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10129

Maybe a little coffee malt, and a little black patent? That would maybe roughly equal black malt.

Quick Reply