Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #101
KeythL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone tried to substitute Kiln Coffee Malt (180 Lov) for the Pale Chocolate Malt (200 Lov)? My LHBSs don't stock Pale Chocolate. Interested in opinions on whether or not the Kiln Coffee might take the coffee notes too far. Looking forward to brewing this one up.

Thanks,

Keyth

Last edited by KeythL; 07-04-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Remove typo...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #102
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeythL
Has anyone tried to substitute Kiln Coffee Malt (180 Lov) for the Pale Chocolate Malt (200 Lov)? My LHBSs don't stock Pale Chocolate. Interested in opinions on whether or not the Kiln Coffee might take the coffee notes too far. Looking forward to brewing this one up.

Thanks,

Keyth
I did this recipe with 10 oz kiln coffee and 8 oz chocolate malt. It's mighty tasty. Pale chocolate doesn't taste a whole lot like chocolate and kiln coffee is only slightly coffee....I think they are in the same 'ballpark'. Only used 2 oz of roast.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #103
KeythL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sounds good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick View Post
I did this recipe with 10 oz kiln coffee and 8 oz chocolate malt. It's mighty tasty. Pale chocolate doesn't taste a whole lot like chocolate and kiln coffee is only slightly coffee....I think they are in the same 'ballpark'. Only used 2 oz of roast.

How would describe the flavor profile of your version, did you switch the quantities of the chocolate malt for the Black Roasted Barley in order to tame the bittersweet, burnt sugar notes. I imagine yours should have been more coffee\toffeeish(sp?)? Did you still get the right color?

Thanks,

Keyth

Old 07-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #104
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Quote:

How would describe the flavor profile of your version, did you switch the quantities of the chocolate malt for the Black Roasted Barley in order to tame the bittersweet, burnt sugar notes. I imagine yours should have been more coffee\toffeeish(sp?)? Did you still get the right color?

Thanks,

Keyth
Keyth- great excuse for me to crack one on this holiday. I'll report soon! Color is black still - I like less bitterness of the 200L dark malts. I added lactose too at bottling due to higher attenuation. Guess I took a few liberties.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #105
buffaloipa
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed this recipe a ways back and it was a HUGE hit. I'm drinking the last of them even though it's damn hot outside. I'll be brewing up a new batch at the end of summer. Thanks for the great recipe!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #106
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Quote:

Thanks,

Keyth
Keyth- my palate ain't the greatest....but I'm going to try. There is plenty of gentle roastiness in this brew. It's not sharp roast, and I can't call it either 'coffee-like' or 'chocolate'. The mouthfeel is thin for an oatmeal stout but I attribute that to my FG of 1.009. The lactose helps with that. I used Denny's 1450. You can see from the photo that there is a bit of dark red when the light catches the bottom of the glass just right. Head retention stinks. Overall I think if mash had been
five degrees higher (looks like it started way too low at 148 for ten minutes, I was double-brewing...) this beer would be improved. I give it three stars and am happy with leaving out the heavy roast as it probably would have put this thinner beer over the edge.

Cheers!
image-3864832590.jpg  

Old 07-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #107
KeythL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the follow up, looks good. I just used my $14.99 Pasta Roller Grain Mill for the first time on the grist for this one, appears to have done a good job. I'm substituting Kiln Coffee Malt for the pale chocolate malt (I've flipped the Chocolate and Black Roasted Malts as well). I made my starter yesterday, it ripped through 1.5L and is chilling now. I hope to brew this one tomorrow if it isn't too hot (moved from DC area to Northern Wisconsin and I appear to have brought the swamp with me...yuck). I'm thinking of toasting the oat flakes in the oven @300 until golden brown ('til it smells like oatmeal cookies). I'm shooting for smooth and creamy with full body and a hint of roastyness. I'll definitely be trying to keep the mash at 154~156 for the body\mouth feel. Reports to follow.

Keyth

Anyone put their stouts on Nitrogen instead of C02?

Last edited by TxBrew; 07-16-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #108
KeythL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brew day went smooth (hot though), missed the target mash temp (trying for 154, mashed @152). Mash Tun smelled like a coffee urn (I think that's a good thing ). Now the hard part...waiting.

Rolling Boil

Fermentation @14hrs

Last edited by KeythL; 07-19-2012 at 05:00 AM. Reason: trying to fix video tags

Old 07-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #109
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just tapped a keg of this now. Had a Keegan ale mothers milk stout and a ruination ipa right before, so ky taste is all screwy, but of the 3 people that had it, it is instantly a favorite. I'll have to try it with a fresh palate another time, but so far it seems like a winner.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #110
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4356 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 847

It's already nearly the first of August, and I'm thinking of cool September nights so this stout is up next. I'm going to make it just as written, since that's been my favorite of all the variations.

Quick Reply