Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1335
Yeast Starter
Yes!
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 at 64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Wow- smooth, rich, velvety, not too roasty, not too dry! GREAT beer.
7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 63.64 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.82 %
10.0 oz Chocolate malt (pale) (200.0 SRM) Grain 5.68 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.14 %
2.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 31.6 IBU

1 Pkgs British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335)

Water was
Ca: 84
Mg: 26
Na 9
SO4 45
Cl 62
HCO3 228

Mashed at 156, with a thin mash (1.75 quarts per pound) to keep the pH in range.

This is the second time with this recipe. I've started using the black roasted barley unstead of the regular, and using less of it. It's got a great roast behind it, but it's not a big roasty flavor that overtakes the stout. It's reminscent of coffee, with a hint of the coffee notes behind the flavor. Not too big, not too sweet, not too dry, with a creamy mouthfeel and brown head that lasts and lasts.

Generally, I keep in the fermenter for 14ish days or so, before packaging.

The most current information about this recipe, along with notes and the "whys" of certain ingredients is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/brew-it-yoopers-oatmeal-stout.html

This looks great! Do you find that the black barley is not as astringent as roasted barley? I'm going to have to give this a try after I finish the Oatmeal Stout and Choc Stout in my kegarator...

Almost forgot: insert joke about head that lasts & lasts here...

This looks great! Do you find that the black barley is not as astringent as roasted barley? I'm going to have to give this a try after I finish the Oatmeal Stout and Choc Stout in my kegarator...

Almost forgot: insert joke about head that lasts & lasts here...

That was the reason I've used the black barley, but when I first put this on tap, I thought "uh oh!" It seemed a bit harsh. However, within two weeks of kegging, the harshness has faded and smoothed into a wonderful beer. Bob doesn't like roasty beers a bit, and he's been drinking this every night. I think it's the coffee-like bitterness rather than the harsh roasty bitterness, that he does like, if that makes sense. Oh, there is a definite roasty flavor, but it's subdued.

I also like the pale chocolate malt, as I think it's smoother too. I only had a bit left, so I used a mix of "regular" chocolate malt and the pale chocolate malt.

That's my deal exactly. My SWMBO doesn't care for the roasty beers. She seems to be able to pick up that flavor very easily. I just started with Black Barley and it seems promising. Thanks for the info, I'm definitely trying your recipe after the holidays!

This looks great. Black barley really is wonderful. I used 3/4 of a pound of it in an Irish Stout and it's like drinking a good Italian espresso: the poor even smells like fresh roasted coffee.

My girlfriend who doesn't ike Guinness (she's had it on tap in Dublin, even) likes a small glass after dinner.

Yooper, I have PM'd you regarding the difference between the two chocolate malt ingredients.

Thanks

Sheldon

Going to make this my next brew... only other oatmeal stout I've made had definite astringency, so I'm hoping this time 'round I can avoid that.

I'm assuming that since you used 1.75qt/lb in the mash you reduced your sparge water amount to simply hit normal pre-boil volume? Also will crush affect astringency, do you think?

What test did you use? It looks like they have multiple water analyses. I'd like to get this done.

It just says "water analysis report" on the top, but the receipt says "W-6 Household Mineral Test".

You really need the Na, Ca, S04, Cl, and alkalinity. They gave the alkalinity as CaC03, but also gave the bicarbonate also. I think it has potassium and Magnesium on it, too.

Going to make this my next brew... only other oatmeal stout I've made had definite astringency, so I'm hoping this time 'round I can avoid that.

I'm assuming that since you used 1.75qt/lb in the mash you reduced your sparge water amount to simply hit normal pre-boil volume? Also will crush affect astringency, do you think?

Yes. No. In that order! :D

I was very happy with that beer, and I'm going to make it again this spring. I crush at about 0.032", more or less.

Thanks Yooper, brew day went well, bubbling away nicely this morning. I'll let you know how it turns out in a few weeks.

Interestingly, I have lots of airlock bubbles and lots of yeast visibly swirling around in the wort, but virtually no krausen. Is that typical of this yeast? I've never used it before.

I've got my version in plastic. There wasn't too much activity in the airlock, but is must be fermenting. 2 more weeks then its time to bottle.

Bottled today, after 17 days in primary. Hydrometer sample was great, I can't wait to drink this. I bottle, so I have a few weeks before it'll be conditioned and carb'd. I overshot my mash temp a little so I finished high, 1.020, but it's still really good, not too sweet.

My last outmeal stout was very astringent, getting none of that with this one. "Velvety" is a good description... I was a little worried there was TOO little roastiness the first sample I tasted, but this time around it tastes about right, although if I make this again I may increase the chocolate malt just a tad.

Thanks for the recipe!

Yooper, I have had the beer fermenting 4 weeks. Today, I thought I was going to bottle, but the hydrometer reading was still at 1.021. So I transferred to a 2ndary and pitched a half pack of Notty. I was suprised to see NO cake at the bottom of the fermenter. Never seen that before. But it really tasted GREAT. I did add 6 oz of cocoa slurry for last 10 minutes of boil. Tasted like Bailey's and similary to Southern Tier's Choc Stout, except a hint of oatmeal.

I will bottle no later than next weekend no matter what FG is. Can't wait to taste the finished product.

Thanks for the updates! This is one of our favorite house beers. I'm going to make it again, probably at the end of March, because I like it as an after-dinner beer. Bob likes to have a cup of coffee after dinner, and I like this stout as my post-dinner drink.

Thanks for the updates! This is one of our favorite house beers. I'm going to make it again, probably at the end of March, because I like it as an after-dinner beer. Bob likes to have a cup of coffee after dinner, and I like this stout as my post-dinner drink.

I used S04 yeast this time, and while it's still excellent, the Wyeast 1335 was better. The "feel" of the beer is different, if that makes sense.

It's still a winner, though!

Have you tried the WLP011 european ale yeast? I just used it on a porter and its fantastic. I'm just curious if its anything like the 1335 profile wise.

My version is two weeks from bottle conditioning 3 months. Tried some this past weekend and still need more carbing, but does taste fine.

I'm making this again as soon as I get more Wyeast 1335. That's been my favorite strain with this recipe, and it really gives a great mouthfeel to it.

Yooper, I'm making this tomorrow and I've never done a 156 degree mash. What is the appropriate mash time at this temperature? I normally do 60 minutes, but beersmith says 45 is enough.

Yooper, I'm making this tomorrow and I've never done a 156 degree mash. What is the appropriate mash time at this temperature? I normally do 60 minutes, but beersmith says 45 is enough.

It might be enough, but oats take longer to convert than, say, Munich malt. So I'd still go with 60 minutes at a minimum!

It might be enough, but oats take longer to convert than, say, Munich malt. So I'd still go with 60 minutes at a minimum!
Yup, an acid test isn't a bad idea either. I've had some oats take 90 min to convert at 154.

Yooper, I made this following your original recipe with 1335. After a 3 week fermentation, I added a 1 week cold crash for clarity. After 2 week carb. this is fantastic. Very mellow with just the right coffee tones and so smooth. Thank you much, great recipe.

Mashing this now! Got myself confused with the 2 chocolate malts, but luckily was able to crush up what I needed and add to the mash. I'm excited about this beer- first AG stout. In mash it just looks like a fantastic stout. Kyle

Awesome! This stuff is great. My batch has been in the bottles for about two months now and it is one of my new favorites. This won't last long. Thanks Yoop!

I am wanting to make this soon but I have a question regarding the black barley, is it the same as black patent malt? That's what my LHBS has but they say use it sparingly less it impart a charred flavor.

I'm thinking it probably isn't the same so now the question is, how would you substitute for it?

I am wanting to make this soon but I have a question regarding the black barley, is it the same as black patent malt? That's what my LHBS has but they say use it sparingly less it impart a charred flavor.

I'm thinking it probably isn't the same so now the question is, how would you substitute for it?

I had the same problem when I went to my LHBS. They ended up having roasted barley that was 500 SRM so I used that instead. The beer is delicious!

Thanks Yooper!

Going to buy the stuff today. I'm hoping my LHBS's website is wrong and they actually have the black barley in the store.

Mine's in the mash tun now. It smells awesome!

By the way, I was able to get the black barley but was unable to get the Wyeast 1335 so I went with WLP005 British Ale. Unfortunately I wouldn't know the difference between the two since this is the first time I'm brewing this.

They are not interchangeable, although the names are very close!

Briess' Black Barley: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0102215/briess-black-barley

If your LHBS doesn't carry black barley, you could use roasted barley instead, with a tiny bit of black patent for the black color. (like 1 ounce of the patent), or maybe this: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0101463/francobelges-kiln-coffee I haven't tried the coffee malt, though!
The kiln coffee malt is very nice. I use about 4% in a porter I do and it really does give a subtle roast. Most LHBS don't carry the 300L roast barley anymore, typically its just the 500+. At least thats what I've found around here.

Brewed up a batch of this this morning - my second stout ever and first one all grain. Tasted darn good going into the carboy, can't wait to taste it again in a few weeks.

Transferring to keg now, and the hydro sample is fantastic- even at 68 degrees! Very smooth, just some roast, and full-bodied. OG was 1.055, FG at 1.014 for a BeerSmith ABV of 5.35%. Very pleased with this so far, at only 10 days since brewing. Kyle

Latest posts

Back