Wookie Winter Warmer (Imperial Stout w/ Coffee)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US05
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
5G
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @64F
Tasting Notes
Smooth as a baby\'s bottom! Excellent coffee flavor that\'s not overpowering.
wwwarmer.jpg

wwwpour.jpg

Add the molasses to the start of the boil to make it easier to stir in. First wort hop with the columbus for great non-harsh bittering.

Cold brew 1lb of coarse coffee grounds with 10quarts of filtered water the night before packaging for around 16 hours. Strain coffee and pour into bottling/packaging bucket when adding sugar or straight into keg if kegging.

I fermented for 14 days or so and then left it in secondary for a few months over Christmas.

Strong coffee aroma. Taste starts with coffee, moves into fruit and chocolate, ends with bitter coffee. SMOOTH the entire time.

Wow, that looks like a wonderful recipe and a beautiful beer. I do have a question about the recipe though. You say 64 oz of coffee in your recipe listing, then you say you cold brew 1 lb of coffee in 10 quarts of water and then add to bottling bucket. Seems like something got confused here. Can you explain or correct this for me. I would really like to brew this beer. Looks like Old Rasputin with an extra dose of coffee flavor. I'm liking it!!!!

Darn, missed a question in the last post. What type of yeast did you use and was there any problem hitting the FG? Thanks for your help and your recipe.

The confusion came from me doing the recipe and then a couple months later adding the coffee. The amount of coffee I added was too much I think. For the first couple weeks it was great, but then the coffee flavors just kept getting strong. I think half that much would have been much better.

I used US-05 and I missed my OG by about .008 under. FG was .004 over. Yes, it was BIAB.

I think the wheat is my favorite part of the beer. Combined with the coffee, it's just damn smooth. I think I would double the chocolate wheat and probably the molasses too. That would hide the alcohol kick a little bit better I think. I would also mash a little higher. Maybe 154F or so. My mash ended up dipping down to ~148F because of my kettle.

This recipe looks outstanding! One question though, when you cold brew the coffee would you not end up with somewhere around 7 gallons to put in the keg? Maybe I'm just missing something....

This recipe looks outstanding! One question though, when you cold brew the coffee would you not end up with somewhere around 7 gallons to put in the keg? Maybe I'm just missing something....

After filtering it, I ended up with a little under 3/4 gallon. I would use half the amount of coffee next time.

Back