Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Ten Fidy Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
mack65
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default All-Grain - Ten Fidy Clone

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: SA-05
Yeast Starter: Huge
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.106
Final Gravity: 1.030
IBU: 80
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 68.7
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21days/68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 60days/68F
Tasting Notes: Cloned

Boil Size: 5.95 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.106 SG
Estimated Color: 68.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 80.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
12 lbs 13.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs 10.1 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs 15.3 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
1 lbs 10.8 oz Bitish Crystal 53L (55.0 SRM)
1 lbs 10.8 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)
1 lbs 6.4 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1.12 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 80.
1.12 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 25.
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.12 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10.
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Mash 155.0 F 75 min

This is the recipe I made after talking with the head brewer of Oskar Blues, Dave Chichura. He gave me specs and percentages and I used Beersmith to put the recipe together for a 5 gallon batch.

I also put this on a yeast cake from a light ale and used O2 to make sure it would ferment out. My first attempt stalled at 1.040 and is a bit too sweet. So the extra yeast and O2 really helped.

OG should be 1.100 and final gravity at 1.030. I overshot by a bit at 1.106.

Ferment at 68F.

I brewed this a month ago and its now in secondary to age a bit. It tastes good, but is really boosey right now. It's going to take a little time to mellow. But if you like an alcohol bite to your beer, than it would be drinkable now. I want to brew another batch to put in a barrel, but I need a barrel first
mack65 is online now Report Post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks for posting the recipe! Best sure to come back and let us know how the side by side comparison goes maybe you could even have the brewer at Oscar taste it?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Saw this in the other thread...how did this turn out?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
mack65
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, after several failed attempts I finally did it. Fermenting a 1.104 beer takes some extra skills it seems. Especially during the Colorado winter.

So far it tastes great 2 months in the fermenter. Just added some oak to 1/2 of the batch. I'll keep you posted once it goes to the keg to carb.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 31

love this beer, howd it turn out?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
mack65
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It turned out really good. Funny part is, I made 3 batches of this and thought the first two were bad at first. But my LHBS guy told me to bottle it and let it sit and it might get better. So, I did and it sure did get better. When the beer is new it is sickeningly sweet and fairly wild (maybe all Imperial Stouts are, this was my first), but after 6-7 months it is really good. I've shared it with friends and they have all liked it. So, if you make this just make sure you have patience.

I also made a version where I decreased the specialty grains a bit and replaced it with pale malt. It seemed to me that it will be ready to drink faster, but I'm still waiting on that one now.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack65 View Post
It turned out really good. Funny part is, I made 3 batches of this and thought the first two were bad at first. But my LHBS guy told me to bottle it and let it sit and it might get better. So, I did and it sure did get better. When the beer is new it is sickeningly sweet and fairly wild (maybe all Imperial Stouts are, this was my first), but after 6-7 months it is really good. I've shared it with friends and they have all liked it. So, if you make this just make sure you have patience.

I also made a version where I decreased the specialty grains a bit and replaced it with pale malt. It seemed to me that it will be ready to drink faster, but I'm still waiting on that one now.
Cool. It looks like a pretty aggressive recipe, I could see it needing time to mellow/age. Would you say its cloned after aging some time?

Old 10-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
EXTROVERT
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the recipe!

I brewed this yesterday with a slight variation - my local spot didn't have the British Crystal, so I used Caramel malt instead - seemed a logical replacement.

Unreal how light the grain bed is and how dark the wort is, straight up jet black - certainly looks like Ten Fiddy in the glass. The pre-hopped wort tasted like chocolate syrup and charred grain, wonderful. The post-hopped was amazing too - great bittering.

My original gravity pre-boil was 1.07, but that was taken while she was HOT to the touch - unsure how, but think that effected it. Post-boil I came in at a nice 1.09, pretty happy about that.

This is my second all-grain brew. My first, also a RIS, is currently in secondary but it didn't take off quite like this one and I made some errors that helped me out a lot here. This baby is going nuts in primary right now - yielded about 5.5+ and have it in a 6.5 carboy with a blowoff tube... so all is well, I assumed (hoped) it would be really active.

This beast is going in a five gallon bourbon barrel I picked up from a small distillery in Texas - recently used and smells wonderful. A buddy of mine is good friends with the head brewer/owner of Olde Hickory Brewery (NC) - he's killing barrel aged brews (check The Event Horizon & Lindley Park on Beer Advocate) - and he suggests the beer should go into the barrel when it's almost finished - but not quite - secondary fermentation. So I'm shooting for that.

Thanks for the recipe, mack! I had a blast making it and will let everyone know how it turns out... about six months from now. LOL.

You know - I need to make something I can actually drink quickly, at some point.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would think there would have to be some smoked malt in that grain bill. The time I have had Ten Fidy I get a very intense smoke up front. I guess it could be from the oak.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
mack65
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There is no oak in Ten Fidy, that smoke you are tasting is definitely from all that dark malt.

I have done more batches and altered the recipe and used less dark malt and more pale making a thinner beer and the roastyness was definitely less.

I have some bottles left from my first batch a year ago. They are so nice to drink now. I plan to take one to Oskar Blues to see what Dave Chichura thinks about it. I just wished I lived closer, since its about a 2 hour drive for me.

Quick Reply