Imperial Stout Stoneface Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
HUGE
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
100+
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4-5 @ 68 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks @ 68 F
Additional Fermentation
cold storage
Here is a Stone RIS clone I have drawn up but not tried. I think it will be close, but can't say for certain. The IBUs are right around 100, the alcohol is almost 11%. I would mash low, at no more then 146 degrees. All that alcohol is going to make this sweet and so you want it to finish as dry as you can, so pitch a HUGE slurry of a good, clean ale yeast. All the specialty grains and all that 120L Crystal are going to balance each other out, but still have a caramel tone that will fill it out. It will be dark as coal.

Enough. Here it is:

Stoneface RIS
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 36.50
Anticipated OG: 1.10046 Plato: 23.858
Anticipated SRM: 47.3
Anticipated IBU: 102.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
75.3 27.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
11.0 4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.03600 2
8.2 3.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.02900 350
4.1 1.50 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.03300 120
1.4 0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.02800 450

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
2.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 59.5 60 min.
1.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 21.6 20 min.
2.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 21.6 10 min.
2.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 0.0 0 min.
1.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step

Saccharification Rest Temp : 146 Time: 75

Looks good BP. I was going to try to get to the store last night to see if they had the 07 Release in yet, but thy had closed already. I'm going to need to brew up something like this soon for the winter.

I brewed it and like it OK. I have moved to use more roast then this recipe calls for, but the beer is a pretty good clone of Stone Imperial.

If you want a roastier brew let me know and I will pass on a couple ideas.

Brewpastor said:
I brewed it and like it OK. I have moved to use more roast then this recipe calls for, but the beer is a pretty good clone of Stone Imperial.

If you want a roastier brew let me know and I will pass on a couple ideas.

I came up with this and was looking around at some of your recipies to get an idea if I was on the right track or not.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.100 SG
Estimated Color: 58.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 182.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
17.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.95 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 7.14% 1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.38 %
0.50 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.38 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.38 %
5.00 oz Warrior [16.40 %] (60 min) Hops 182.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

I'm trying to achieve a nice mix of caramel, roasted and coffee notes in the palate and the nose. I really like your idea of a single large hop addition, so I modified my recipe to fit that same mold.

I'm unsure if WLP007 will handle it, but it's one of my favorites and should lend to a somewhat dry finish.

I'd love to hear your ideas on getting more roaty tones in it.

I moved out of Chicago (where they don't sell Stone, how incredibly stupid are those distributors?!?!) and into Colorado, where I was introduced to Stone. I had their RIS last night for the first time... sweet Jesus. That is the most delicious RIS I have ever had! Any updated/ improved Stone RIS clone recipes since these last postings? I'm trying to calculate a Black Albert Clone at the wicked high 13%.

Here is a Stone RIS clone I have drawn up but not tried. I think it will be close, but can't say for certain. The IBUs are right around 100, the alcohol is almost 11%. I would mash low, at no more then 146 degrees. All that alcohol is going to make this sweet and so you want it to finish as dry as you can, so pitch a HUGE slurry of a good, clean ale yeast. All the specialty grains and all that 120L Crystal are going to balance each other out, but still have a caramel tone that will fill it out. It will be dark as coal.

Enough. Here it is:

Stoneface RIS
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 36.50
Anticipated OG: 1.10046 Plato: 23.858
Anticipated SRM: 47.3
Anticipated IBU: 102.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
75.3 27.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
11.0 4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.03600 2
8.2 3.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.02900 350
4.1 1.50 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.03300 120
1.4 0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.02800 450

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
2.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 59.5 60 min.
1.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 21.6 20 min.
2.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 21.6 10 min.
2.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 0.0 0 min.
1.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step

Saccharification Rest Temp : 146 Time: 75

Anything else I should know about this recipe I'm going to give it a whirl going to pick up the stuff today and cook it up later in the week and pitch it onto a ale yeast cake when I transfer last weeks brew.

any thoughts for substutions on the hops in case they may not have that variety...perhaps simply a high ABU alternative?

I would like to try making a 5 gallon extract version of this. Could I replace 13.75lbs Great Britian pale malt and 2lbs American pale malt with 10.5lbs Breiss Golden Light DME and just steep the chocolate, crystal and roast barley?

I'm assuming I could use the same hop additions just scaled down for 5 gallons.

I would like to try making a 5 gallon extract version of this. Could I replace 13.75lbs Great Britian pale malt and 2lbs American pale malt with 10.5lbs Breiss Golden Light DME and just steep the chocolate, crystal and roast barley?

I'm assuming I could use the same hop additions just scaled down for 5 gallons.

So, GuitarBob, did you make this and how did it turn out?

BEAUTIFUL sounding beer....and, one i'd like to brew but:

i'm having trouble matching up the recipe with what austin home brew has to offer....i see breiss light and xlight but no golden light.

i'm being dumb ain't i???

gator

warrior hops are here this weekend and I'm brewing. hit my mash temp exactly.

how long do you generally let a starter go before you pitch it?

I've never mashed with that low of a temp before. Does anyone have some of this that has aged well and how is it after around 8 months?
Nevermind...I see where the recipe came from.

So, GuitarBob, did you make this and how did it turn out?

I ended up scaling the recipe down to two gallons, and doing an all-grain version. I bottled it 3 months ago, and I don't plan on trying it for awhile. A beer this big needs to age awhile, maybe I'll try one this fall.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone had a follow-up from a tasting after an extended age?

Also, I just punched this recipe into Beersmith and I only hit 1.096 for an OG. Did I miss something?

I just tried this after 4 months of aging, and it's amazing. I can't believe how good it came out. I've never tried the original before so I can't say how close it is, but damn it's good.

The only bad thing is I only made 2 gallons of it.

Also, I just punched this recipe into Beersmith and I only hit 1.096 for an OG. Did I miss something?

That is only .004 points difference, it could be efficiency settings, boil time, or the potential extract calculated in the program for the given grains.

Hey folks I got this info from BYO a few months back from (apparently) Stone Brewery
Stone Imperial Russian Stout
2-row pale malt
Amber malt
Black malt
Roasted barley
Warrior hops
Finishing ABV=10.8%; IBU’s=90

We'll have to figure out the rest. Crystal wasn't used and I'm thinking to up the roasted barley to 1.5 lb. I just drank one this weekend and there was a strong RB flavor but such a smooth flavored brew with an strong alcohol finish.

Brewed this with wlp007....tastes damn good but some fruity esters and even with a 90 minute mash at 146 i still bottomed out at 1.020. I was hoping for a bit lower but it may give me a chance to play around with some fruit....well see. Either way thanks for the recipe

ok i know this is an old thread, but im not coming anywhere close in IBUs to 100 (around 50 something) when i pluged this in to my beersmith program, is it wack or am i missing something (when i did the auto up on the IBUs it put everything at 12 ounces of warriors and that seems excessive) i made sure my alpha numbers are right, so does anyone know why im getting such a low number?

ok i know this is an old thread, but im not coming anywhere close in IBUs to 100 (around 50 something) when i pluged this in to my beersmith program, is it wack or am i missing something (when i did the auto up on the IBUs it put everything at 12 ounces of warriors and that seems excessive) i made sure my alpha numbers are right, so does anyone know why im getting such a low number?

depends how your calculating ibus. theres tinseth or rager or a third using a chart. Cant remeber which one i used but it seemed right when i did it

Back