Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Stout (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/)
-   -   Stoneface Russian Imperial Stout (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/stoneface-russian-imperial-stout-26710/)

Brewpastor 04-06-2007 07:39 PM

Stoneface Russian Imperial Stout
 
Here is a Stone RIS clone I have drawn up but not tried. I think it will be close, but can't say for certain. The IBUs are right around 100, the alcohol is almost 11%. I would mash low, at no more then 146 degrees. All that alcohol is going to make this sweet and so you want it to finish as dry as you can, so pitch a HUGE slurry of a good, clean ale yeast. All the specialty grains and all that 120L Crystal are going to balance each other out, but still have a caramel tone that will fill it out. It will be dark as coal.

Enough. Here it is:

Stoneface RIS
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 36.50
Anticipated OG: 1.10046 Plato: 23.858
Anticipated SRM: 47.3
Anticipated IBU: 102.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
75.3 27.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
11.0 4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.03600 2
8.2 3.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.02900 350
4.1 1.50 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.03300 120
1.4 0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.02800 450


Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 59.5 60 min.
1.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 21.6 20 min.
2.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 21.6 10 min.
2.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 0.0 0 min.
1.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step

Saccharification Rest Temp : 146 Time: 75

Brewsmith 04-06-2007 07:49 PM

Looks good BP. I was going to try to get to the store last night to see if they had the 07 Release in yet, but thy had closed already. I'm going to need to brew up something like this soon for the winter.

Dude 04-06-2007 08:19 PM

Clone of what?

And you learn something everyday...I never would have guessed mashing that low. Makes sense!

Brewpastor 04-06-2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude
Clone of what?

And you learn something everyday...I never would have guessed mashing that low. Makes sense!

Oh, that might be useful information! Post #1 edited.

ohiobrewtus 11-26-2007 07:20 PM

Brewpastor (or anyone else), have you brewed this yet?

Brewpastor 11-26-2007 07:31 PM

I brewed it and like it OK. I have moved to use more roast then this recipe calls for, but the beer is a pretty good clone of Stone Imperial.

If you want a roastier brew let me know and I will pass on a couple ideas.

ohiobrewtus 11-26-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewpastor
I brewed it and like it OK. I have moved to use more roast then this recipe calls for, but the beer is a pretty good clone of Stone Imperial.

If you want a roastier brew let me know and I will pass on a couple ideas.

I came up with this and was looking around at some of your recipies to get an idea if I was on the right track or not.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.100 SG
Estimated Color: 58.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 182.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
17.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.95 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 7.14% 1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.38 %
0.50 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.38 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.38 %
5.00 oz Warrior [16.40 %] (60 min) Hops 182.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

I'm trying to achieve a nice mix of caramel, roasted and coffee notes in the palate and the nose. I really like your idea of a single large hop addition, so I modified my recipe to fit that same mold.

I'm unsure if WLP007 will handle it, but it's one of my favorites and should lend to a somewhat dry finish.

I'd love to hear your ideas on getting more roaty tones in it.

meyers.markg 03-21-2008 05:52 PM

Stone RIS virgin... no more
 
I moved out of Chicago (where they don't sell Stone, how incredibly stupid are those distributors?!?!) and into Colorado, where I was introduced to Stone. I had their RIS last night for the first time... sweet Jesus. That is the most delicious RIS I have ever had! Any updated/ improved Stone RIS clone recipes since these last postings? I'm trying to calculate a Black Albert Clone at the wicked high 13%.

pirate504 05-31-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewpastor (Post 262876)
Here is a Stone RIS clone I have drawn up but not tried. I think it will be close, but can't say for certain. The IBUs are right around 100, the alcohol is almost 11%. I would mash low, at no more then 146 degrees. All that alcohol is going to make this sweet and so you want it to finish as dry as you can, so pitch a HUGE slurry of a good, clean ale yeast. All the specialty grains and all that 120L Crystal are going to balance each other out, but still have a caramel tone that will fill it out. It will be dark as coal.

Enough. Here it is:

Stoneface RIS
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 36.50
Anticipated OG: 1.10046 Plato: 23.858
Anticipated SRM: 47.3
Anticipated IBU: 102.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
75.3 27.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
11.0 4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.03600 2
8.2 3.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.02900 350
4.1 1.50 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.03300 120
1.4 0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.02800 450


Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 59.5 60 min.
1.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 21.6 20 min.
2.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 21.6 10 min.
2.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 0.0 0 min.
1.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step

Saccharification Rest Temp : 146 Time: 75

Anything else I should know about this recipe I'm going to give it a whirl going to pick up the stuff today and cook it up later in the week and pitch it onto a ale yeast cake when I transfer last weeks brew.

any thoughts for substutions on the hops in case they may not have that variety...perhaps simply a high ABU alternative?

GuitarBob 03-19-2009 04:31 PM

I would like to try making a 5 gallon extract version of this. Could I replace 13.75lbs Great Britian pale malt and 2lbs American pale malt with 10.5lbs Breiss Golden Light DME and just steep the chocolate, crystal and roast barley?

I'm assuming I could use the same hop additions just scaled down for 5 gallons.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:55 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.