Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Smooth Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #61
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I just bottled a batch of this. if the finished product is as good as the samples I have taken, it will be a regular around here.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #62
kevin476
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was a little skepticle about breing this, I love big roasty stouts. But this is the best stout I have ever made. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #63
Brent1992
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRIGHT
Pretty good stout. Would have to say that I definately like it better after a few weeks in the keg. Not as bitter as some stouts. The oatmeal works well. Now I'm trying to figure out how to make a chocolate coffee stout that is as smooth as this. Good beer.
I know I'm late to the party, did you ever create the chocolate coffee stout?

Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #64
pstrohs
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Drinking this beer after 1 month primary and 3 weeks on the gas and it is a very drinkable summer stout. I think that the chocolate malt really shines in this beer. Great recipe

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Keezer Build

Old 09-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #65
fastfocus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 14

Hello
Can Lactose be added to this? Just to add a little sweetness to it? I've never brewed before. But, am excited about doing so. This sound just like what i'm looking for in a beer. In most of the reading that i've done, There is usually racked in secondary. That's not needed here? Being new, Im thinking of starting with a 1 gal batch.I keep hearing that 1 gal is a waste if time. But, as a starter.... first time.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #66
stbnj
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this recipe last fall as a base for my breakfast stout, used Wyeast 1450 that I had and added local coffee to it. Anyway, now that cooler weather is here people, not necessarily beer geeks, are asking when I will have more available to share. This is a great recipe!

Old 08-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #67
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

subscribed.

Couple of questions though. If I wanted to bump he ABV up a little bit would I just increase the amount of 2 row, since going by your OG and FG it finished at 4.86%? Also, any thoughts on using Marris Otter for the base and thoughts on adding some special B into this?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #68
KyGooglenerd
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus14 View Post
subscribed.

Couple of questions though. If I wanted to bump he ABV up a little bit would I just increase the amount of 2 row, since going by your OG and FG it finished at 4.86%? Also, any thoughts on using Marris Otter for the base and thoughts on adding some special B into this?
I'm brewing this tomorrow with Marris Otter, as well as switching yeast WLP005. On my system it'll run about 9lbs MO with the rest of the recipe the same. Beersmith shows this ending up with an OG of 1.062. Assuming a FG of 1.018 that's about a 5.5%ABV beer. I'llupdate in a few weeks!

Old 11-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #69
Ben04
Recipes 

Default Great Recipe!

I haven't brewed this particular recipe, but I did brew one that is very similar. If they are anything alike, then you will not be disappointed! It is sweet, smooth, and dark as night. Definitely on of my favorites.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #70
KyGooglenerd
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I did get this recipe in the fermenter while listening to Kentucky get their ass whipped by Vandy on the radio...GAH!

Anyway, yes, coal black, smelled delicious. The warm Bourbie was nice and believe it or not it's already slowing down in the primary (pitched on sat afternoon, mon evening now). No blowoff this time, but that is hard to predict.

OG ended up at 1.056, 71% efficiency....6 week primary, 4 week in bottles...Jan 15th seems optimal. But, I'll probably break it out new years eve!

Quick Reply