Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Smooth Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #51
shanlmt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks mudflap. I've never used a dry yeast, so this will be a new experience.. I can't wait to give this a try. I might have more questions when I get ready to brew in the next week or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #52
Mudflap
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

no problem. this forum has helped me so much in my brewing endeavors this past year that I'm happy to help others. Dry yeast is a cinch, just boil about a cup of water in a small bowl at the start of your brew day (I use the microwave). Cover with clean plastic wrap or foil to keep sanitized and set aside to cool. Later on check temp and once it gets around 80deg or less pour all of the dry yeast in from the packet, stir in with a sanitized spoon, re-cover, and let sit and bloom for at least 30min. By the time you've moved your cooled wort to your fermenter, it's ready to pour in. Easy peasy

Upcoming: Rogue Dead Guy, Bourbon Oaked IIPA

Old 08-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #53
shanlmt
Recipes 

I have been getting my equipment together to do an all grain and I think I'm gonna try this recipe out this weekend. I did notice that it has 36 IBU's. I do not like hoppy beers. I just want to make sure this beer is nice and smooth and not very hoppy.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #54
shanlmt
Recipes 

Just put it in the primary. It was my first all grain and I felt like it went pretty well. The largest pot I have is a 6 gallon, so I had to split it up some for the boil. My OG was 1.050, so pretty close to the recipe. I was afraid it was gonna be to hoppy for my taste so I decreased the hops some. Also, my brew store said their roasted barley and chocolate were a little darker than what was called for in the recipe. It did give it a little bite, but hoping that will mellow out with the aging process. I'm really looking forward to trying this out in a couple of months. I'll let you know how it tastes. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #55
Mudflap
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sorry shanlmt, I know this is late, but the bitterness is fine with the OP recipe. My calcs gave me 33IBUs on mine and were just enough to balance. The bitterness does not come through as much on a stout since there is so much going on elsewhere. I'm sure dropping a few IBUs will be just fine though. I'm sure the darker malts will be good as well. I stated earlier after mine was finished that it was almost "too smooth" with the OP recipe and that I wish it had just a bit more bite to it. I'm sure your stout will be excellent! Keep us posted

Upcoming: Rogue Dead Guy, Bourbon Oaked IIPA

Old 08-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #56
Ckarsanac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

CBBaron,

Do you remember what your water volumes were for your initial mash and your sparge? And, did you have to boil it down to get to your OG?

Thanks!!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #57
shanlmt
Recipes 

I moved it to the secondary yesterday and it already tastes great!!! I can't wait till it's ready for consumption!!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #58
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is a very good stout. Nice and smooth. As with any brew, it seems to get better the longer you can stand to age it. I've made this 4 or 5 times now and it is my favorite oatmeal stout.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #59
bbt95762
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
OG 1

Single infusion mash at 156F for 60 min.

Craig
for the 156dF Mash, what temperature do you add your water? about 172dF?, somewhat new to all grain, finding challenges getting my mash temp right.
Thanks,
Brian.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #60
shanlmt
Recipes 

I can't remember if I wrote about my finished project. I brewed this recipe up on August 21st; it was my first all grain beer. There were a few changes in my recipe, so I wasn't sure how it would turn out. My mash temp was only about 140, which i brought up to 145 at one point. I also almost cut the amount of hops in half. I added 1 1/4 oz of the hops. We started drinking the beer after it had been in the bottles for about 3 weeks. It just keeps getting better and better. It is so delicious, that I'm gonna have to make another batch soon! Everyone loves it. It is super smooth, rich and not hoppy at all!

Quick Reply