Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Smooth Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #41
sweetpoetatoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

yes it was my first beer and i went all grain. iv made cider b efore and mead. and a friend that was helping had made beer before. I guess they really hadnt made much, cuz she said itd be best to have th base grains in a grain bag. we didnt have any big enough so we used some clean pantyhose. it jsut didnt let all the sugars get out when we sparged it. i also had thought squeezing it released tannins so we didnt squeeze them too much.
on my next recipe ithink ill try a different style of sparging. but i do like the all grain, its much funner and cheaper>
and the beer still turned out amazing, thankyou!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #42
jgilbreth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To adjust for my efficiency numbers I have seen lately, I would need ot up it to about 8 lb pale malt. Would I need to mess with any of the specialty malts as well, or is the extra 1.25 lb base malt small enough of a different to not affect flavor or color?

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Wheat Pilsner, Oatmeal Stout
Next Up: Orange Blossom Honey Hef

Old 04-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #43
sweetpoetatoe
Recipes 

[QUOTE=Amanofbeer;2709178]You did all grain your first try at beer? Or is this your first all grain batch. What happened that caued that low of a gravity? Did you step mash?

Okay so i've done some other things and learned a bit more, and the reason it was only 1.035 an so watery was because we didn't do the boil, we steeped all the grains,with the hops, then sparged, then cooled and put into the fermenter. Right now im working on making an all grain set up, and after that ill be trying this recipe again, and doing it right. Our friend who had done it befor ewas really sick around brew day and wasnt paying too much attention to what we were doing.
still delicious though.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:11 AM   #44
TDIBrewer
Recipes 

Bottled this today, its my second all grain, tastes great so far, looking forward to see it in a few more weeks. I ended up with a final gravity of 1.022, and I forgot to take the OG :P Anyway, I'm going to try another batch tommorow with Wyeast 1084 and see how that compares. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #45
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

is it possible to switch out flaked oat for thomas fawcet oat malt?

Old 06-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #46
TDIBrewer
Recipes 

Ok, sampled a bottle a week ago, tasted a little bit hot. Had a couple bottles today and its perfect. Looking forward to the other batches I have going on this one. I repitched the s-04 in one batch and used a wyeast 1084 in another. They've been in the primary a little bit longer, about 3 weeks now. We'll see how they turn out.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #47
Mknox4354
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewing this beer this weekend so I guess in a couple weeks I'll be able to say how it turned out. Thanks for the recipe

Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #48
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No you won't, you need to let this beer condition for a couple months, right guys? I would say try it in 2 1/2 months

Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #49
shanlmt
Recipes 

Default 1st all grain

I am very excited about trying this recipe. It will be my 4th batch of beer, but my first all grain. I have 2 questions before I get started.
1. I noticed that you don't use a yeast starter. Do you think it would make any difference in the recipe to do a starter, or is it best to just pitch the yeast right out of the tube?

2. I notice that your recipe doesn't call for any priming sugar before bottling. Is this a typo, or do you not need priming sugar for carbonation in this recipe?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #50
Mudflap
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanlmt View Post
I am very excited about trying this recipe. It will be my 4th batch of beer, but my first all grain. I have 2 questions before I get started.
1. I noticed that you don't use a yeast starter. Do you think it would make any difference in the recipe to do a starter, or is it best to just pitch the yeast right out of the tube?

2. I notice that your recipe doesn't call for any priming sugar before bottling. Is this a typo, or do you not need priming sugar for carbonation in this recipe?
1) If you use the recipe as stated and use S-04, which is a dry yeast, you don't need a starter, just rehydrate and pitch. If you plan to use a liquid yeast as implied in "out of the tube" you will always want to make a starter. I tried pitching a liquid without making a starter first and it was a terrible fermentation. Ended up dumping the batch. Never again
2) If you plan to bottle, you will always want to use a priming sugar. A lot of times this omitted from recipes as this info is redundant and lots of people may keg and force carb. If you're bottling though, 3/4cup of corn sugar to a 5gal batch is pretty standard formula and is what I used when I brewed this recipe back in feb. and it turned out perfect!
Good luck!
Upcoming: Rogue Dead Guy, Bourbon Oaked IIPA

Quick Reply