Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Smokinghole's Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The beer is coming along great. I have it sitting in a 15gal barrel right now. It's roasty and very bitter still but the flavors are coming around nicely. Has a strong coffee component and there is certainly a strong sweet malt character.

I tend to leave it for about 6-8 months before I think about bottling. Last I checked the gravity was near 1.032 but seems to have mostly stopped there. The three year old stout is on the sweeter side of things now but that also used some jaggery sugar so it has a molasses sweetness. Last year's is pretty nice, they're boozy brews but the roastiness helps cover it up.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I just saw the barrel in the other thread - looks awesome! I found this as I actually was wondering if brett would work in an RIS, and now I know. I got the idea when I found out how much cherry flavor Wyeast's BrettL throws is you handle it well, and thought it might be an interesting way to make a big "cherry" stout, which the fiancee loves.

In any case, I think I'll have to try a variation on this at some point soon. It's getting a bit warm for big beers now, considering my lack of easy temp control, but come autumn...this is gonna get brewed!

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
smokinghole

Recipes 

If you ask me warm is a great time to brew the beer. This way if you let it go for 8 months or so you'll have it bottled and ready to go for next winter possibly.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well, my basement is at 65-66F or so, and should hold steady for the next month or two before slowly warming up to 70-75F. Have you fermented this that warm? I was initially afraid high gravity plus mid to high 60s ambient temps might make for (bad) funky beer. I suppose I could start with 1762, which does OK up to the low to mid 70s, and hit it with brett separately after that. Do you think that would work, or would that yeast clash with the recipe as drawn up?

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #15
smokinghole

Recipes 

I recall it being quite warm when I brewed this in October. I had over 15 gal fermenting with no temp control. I don't see 70s as a problem, I done know much about the yeast you listed, but I used some left over 9097 slurry for the Brett and then some packets of S04. I am already looking forward to brewing the next batch in fall.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
smokinghole

Recipes 

I'm starting to bottle the batch that was barrel aged. I think it's my best version to date. You can smell the rummy sweetness in the beer as well as the vanillin contributed by the charred barrel. I only had it in the barrel for about 4.5 months. I had done three good hot rinses before I even put the beer into the barrel to remove some character to the point I wouldn't have to remove the beer from the barrel in two weeks time. I've broken down and just gave up on bottle conditioning this beer. I am sure I could do it but the work required to do it successfully is much more than just force carbing the beer and using my beer gun to bottle.

I am actually drinking a version that was brewed in 2011 and it's drinking nice. It has a nice mouth feel with a slight astringency that dries the mouth preventing the sweetness from the 1.024 terminal gravity from being cloying. There's still a decent bitterness remaining from the hops. My friend and I are talking about making some plans to do another batch this fall. This time it will just be about 8 gallons since now I have at least a case of three year old stuff, I have a case of two year old stuff. Then there will be a touch more than six cases of the barrel aged version to go around. Plus I have 15 gal of sour 1.090 stout in the barrel that had the last 1.120 brett stout batch aging.

Anyhow I encourage the patient ones to brew something similar to this brew it's rewarding.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #17
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I hear you and do want to try it, but I don't have kegging equipment yet. I'm taking your warning against bottle conditioning seriously, and kind of want to hold off until I can get the kegs going. Of course, that takes $$$, and who knows when I'll have that.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Quick Reply