Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Silver Medal 2012 Chicago Cup - Singing Boys Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Cjtabares
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I am thinking about brewing this, would it be a good all grain for my first all grain brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 957 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjtabares View Post
I am thinking about brewing this, would it be a good all grain for my first all grain brew?
Sure! Stouts, especially sweet stouts, or porters are 'forgiving' beers, in that they are so flavorful that they cover up potential flaws. Its not a huge beer (in terms of grain bill, OG and abv) so its done relatively quickly.

You can use any number of yeasts with it, too. My latest batch of it used my 'house' strain - the yeast I tend to harvest and wash, which is WL's Edinburgh strain. But you could use Windsor from Danstar or Fermentis' US-04 if you'd rather use dry (which is easier to use and doesn't require a starter).

Old 03-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
TimeBaby
Recipes 

Brewed this a little over a month ago, and it was (and still is) excellent. Very popular among my friends and those that had it. My mash techniques weren't perfect, so I ended up with a 3.7% ABV product (don't have my OG/FG notes on me).

I decided to skip the 2ndary and just bottled after letting it sit in primary for 2 weeks, and I couldn't keep my hands off trying one after only 10 days in the bottle, and it tasted marvelous. I think the only difference would be the amount of yeast sediment, but I don't really mind. I might try using Safale-04 or some liquid English strain next time just to see if it sediments better than the Windsor. I can't find anything wrong with this recipe in the slightest and I will definitely keep this one in my arsenal. Great recipe!

Old 03-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Thanks, Time, I'm glad you liked it. Its the only stout I've been making recently. I've not tried 04 in it, but I think that would work fine. I've lately been using mostly WLP028 Edinburgh, which I use in many of my beers (I harvest and wash it).

Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Should have added earlier that a batch of this won a silver medal in the small stout category at the 2012 Chicago Cup competition.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #16
troglodytes
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is my next brew. My wife loves sweet and milk stouts and I wanted something that didn't need to age. Plus I already had half the ingredients left over from other previous batches. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

One question though, is the 1.050 OG pre or post boil? With this grain bill I'm getting an OG calc of 1.062 post boil and I've locked in my brewhouse efficiency at at 67.5% which is low compared to yours in the OP.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #17
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troglodytes View Post
This is my next brew. My wife loves sweet and milk stouts and I wanted something that didn't need to age. Plus I already had half the ingredients left over from other previous batches. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

One question though, is the 1.050 OG pre or post boil? With this grain bill I'm getting an OG calc of 1.062 post boil and I've locked in my brewhouse efficiency at at 67.5% which is low compared to yours in the OP.
Its post boil OG. I see that I entered it as a 5 gallon recipe, when I usually make 5.5 or 6 gallons, so that probably accounts for the difference. In any case, using your system and processes, I would suggest adjusting the recipe so that you end up at around 1.050 OG.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Quick Reply