Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 02:06 AM   #21
New-B-Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Any thoughts on this recipe with some orange peel in it? I'd like to something a little christmasy without going over the top with a xmas ale.
How much orange peel and what about some cinamon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #22
jaja
Recipes 

I've just put this on gas and in two days I'll take a small sample to see its potential. I used Notty dry yeast on this and I got SG 1050 and FG 1013 so it wont be too dry or too sweet. I'll be back with some tasting notes later on and any thoughts on adjusting the recipe if I think it needs it.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #23
ArizonaDB
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 91

OK, I have the ingredients for this recipe and I'm gonna try brewing it this week. Any last minute advice from those who have made this recipe before?

I added .5lb flaked barley, .5lb flaked wheat and .5lb carapils to the original recipe and plan to mash at 154F. And I use a 90min mash and 90min boil right?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #24
ArizonaDB
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 91

PS I toasted the flaked oats for about 90 minutes until they looked "right". They taste pretty smokey now, I hope I didn't over do it.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #25
bspisak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaDB View Post
PS I toasted the flaked oats for about 90 minutes until they looked "right". They taste pretty smokey now, I hope I didn't over do it.
That sure seems like a long time. I did 20-25 minutes at 350F. Even then, I found that they added a harsh astringency to the beer. I've since learned that it's recommended (for any toasted grain) to let it rest for a week or more in a paper bag. The more toasted, the more they should rest to let the harsh whatever-they-are's caused by the Maillard reactions blow off.

How to Brew talks about this in the context of malt, but Mosher recommends the same for toasted oats in Radical Brewing, and Lewis in Stout talks about the astringency of oats even before toasting.

Also, not sure why you're adding flaked barley, flaked wheat and carapils. I would maybe add the flaked barley to help with head retention, but then you don't need the wheat and as far as the carapils, you're already using 0.5# of caramel malt to provide some unfermentables and your mash temp will help that as well.

With respect to the mash, you probably only need to rest at 154F for 40 minutes, but 60 minutes will be plenty.

Good luck!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #26
Morbo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just kegged this after a month in primary. Only changes I did were I used about 3#'s 2-row and 5#'s marris otter, and fuggles for bittering. I only needed to toast my oats for about 25 mins to get the effect I wanted (burned the first batch). Mash and boil was 60 mins.

Looking forward to this one. Smells and tastes great. Will update after I tap the keg in another two weeks.

EDIT- forgot to add I mashed at 154

"May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #27
CaliBrewin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so it seems like the only solid response we've gotten was from nootay back in sept.

next brew i do is going to be a stout. i just cant settle on one. (btwn SS oat stout clone, guiness draght clone, O'flannigan standard)

im looking to brew a stout with light/medium - medium body and good drinkability (smooth and creamy). this sounds like a great recipe, however, it doesnt have nearly as much feedback as the other two brew recipes i mentioned.

what are your thoughts HBTers?

Cheers,

-Zach

Old 01-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #28
Morbo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

UPDATE:
This was a huge hit at the party. Pours awesome with thick creamy head that laces well. As others had said though, the head dissipates quickly. A 1/2# of flaked barley would take care of that. It tastes of your standard stout, black coffee with a hint of vanilla and dark chocolate. The toasted oats are barely detectable but give it a smooth velvety texture that's just perfect. Bitterness seems to be right were it needs to be. The recipe seems to be a great starting point for making a spiced / winter beer as well. I may try and do one of the oatmeal cookie stouts using this recipe as the base.

I haven't had a SS oatmeal stout in years so I can't really compare it.

Will be making this for sure again. Its probably one of my best all grain beers to date.

"May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Old 04-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #29
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just made this a few months ago, and did not change much. I bumped the oats to a full pound and used s-04 yeast, but everything is pretty much as is. It came out very good. After about 3 weeks, it still was very flat and uncarbed. However, it is now in the bottles for about 5 weeks and it has a good head and a really nutty flavor.

It's very good, but I just wish I had an original right now to do a side by side. This is definitely one I will do again.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #30
brewjunky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayloncash View Post
I am kind of new to this so heres a newb question. Do you steep the chocalate malt and roasted barley ? Also, when do are you adding your oats ? Or are all the ingredients added to the mash ?
For all grain they are added to the mash.

I have never done a partial on this recipe but if you were you'd steep the specialty grains.

Quick Reply