Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #41
dlprice45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is my first time posting here, just wanted to say that I brewed this recipe yesterday and had almost the exact same experience as cottagebrews below! Ha, everything went great yesterday and I pitched the yeast (Wyeast Irish Ale) about 4pm. I used a 6.5 gal carboy so didn't think I'd need a blowoff tube (this is only my second brew, first non-kit recipe). Well, at 7am this morning the airlock was overpowered by the fermentation, but wasn't so clogged that it blew off. As deftly as I could right out of bed I removed the airlock and attached blowoff tube (sanitizing everything as I went). It was happily bubbling and gurgling away as I left for work. Thanks for posting the recipe, I'll try to give an update on my brew as it progresses.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebrews View Post
Thanks, BigB, that was very helpful. Brew day went off without a hitch, apart from dropping my hydrometer and having to run out to buy another. The "sound of victory" this morning was a bit louder than expected, however: krausen forced its way into my airlock, clogged it, and eventually blew the lid clear off my primary bucket. I was able to rig a blow off tube using part of the airlock and the siphon tubing. Crisis averted for now. Fermentation was active enough that I hopefully won't suffer any serious contamination, but final word on that will have to wait until I bottle in four weeks. Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #42
I-Train
Recipes 

Just wanted to chime in and say I brewed this recipe about two months ago. I've been drinking it for the past week or so and it's one of my favorite beers I've ever made. It was a hit with my family and neighbors as well!

I followed the recipe as written here except that I had to substitute English Ale yeast for the Yorkshire Square strain. I also took the oats out of the oven about 10-15 minutes early because the burning smell was getting too strong to bear as others have attested! Still came out great!

Old 09-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #43
RitalinIV
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This recipe is outstanding! I made my batch exactly as BigB wrote. It is by far the best beer I have made.

I kept my first batch in the primary for 17 days and transferred directly into the keg. I started drinking after only 10 days. Amazing!

Other batches utilized Wyeast #1028 and 1275-- All great match ups. Started another batch yesterday...

Thank you for sharing, BigB!

-Ritalin

Primary- Zilch
Yes, this is getting too long...

BigB Likes This 

Quick Reply