Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 05:15 AM   #21
DRonco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What would an LME substitution do to the original recipe? What is the difference from a brew stand point? Great recipe! Looks like a real winner. I'm thinking doing this one this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #22
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRonco View Post
What would an LME substitution do to the original recipe? What is the difference from a brew stand point? Great recipe! Looks like a real winner. I'm thinking doing this one this weekend.
I doubt it would make any perceptible difference as long as you scale the amount appropriately to account for the difference between LME and DME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
cottagebrews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

UPDATE:

My batch of this has been in the bottle for a month, and I've been pulling a few bottles to test the results. Over the course of the last week it's gotten a lot better, but it still tastes a bit one-dimensional. I'm thinking it could use at least another few weeks.

One strange feature: the finished product has a large quantity of residual yeast floating around it. I know this can be normal with an unfiltered beer, especially since I didn't bother racking this to secondary, but I'm still surprised at how much I'm getting. Any ideas why this might have happened?

#7.1. Coconut Porter (wedding version; cellared)
#10. Café au Lait Stout (last two cellared)
#11. Wheat Beer Four Ways (almost gone)
#6.3. IPA (overdue for transfer to secondary)

Old 10-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #24
DRonco
Recipes 

BigB, In looking for an oatmeal stout recipe, I've found numerous postings that say you can't do an extract stout and expect it to come out well. The overall view is that you can't extract the right properties from the oats without a full mash. But, seems like you've had great success with yours. Does the toasting of the oats help convert some of starches? I'd be interested in hearing your take on it.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #25
BigB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebrews View Post
One strange feature: the finished product has a large quantity of residual yeast floating around it. I know this can be normal with an unfiltered beer, especially since I didn't bother racking this to secondary, but I'm still surprised at how much I'm getting. Any ideas why this might have happened?
Never had that problem with this beer. Sometimes the floaties are just simply because for some reason the yeast stuck together in small clumps rather than packing at the bottom, or the yeast cake was disturbed prior to/at racking.

Quote:

Old 10-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #26
BigB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRonco View Post
BigB, In looking for an oatmeal stout recipe, I've found numerous postings that say you can't do an extract stout and expect it to come out well. The overall view is that you can't extract the right properties from the oats without a full mash. But, seems like you've had great success with yours. Does the toasting of the oats help convert some of starches? I'd be interested in hearing your take on it.
Thats a new one on me. Unless people are trying to say you can't get any fermentables out of the oats without a mash...then that would be true. Otherwise, the only thing you get out of the specialty grains (including oats) in ANY extract batch is either flavor, or body, or head retention, or sometimes just color. You will still get body characteristics out of the oats and a hint of oaty flavor by steeping the oats. Plus, the toasting will lend a nutty edge to the beer. But no, you won't get fermentables...but in an extract recipe, you aren't looking for those anyways.

Quote:

Old 10-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #27
DRonco
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB

You will still get body characteristics out of the oats and a hint of oaty flavor by steeping the oats. Plus, the toasting will lend a nutty edge to the beer. But no, you won't get fermentables...but in an extract recipe, you aren't looking for those anyways.
Well said! Thanks. This one is definetly on deck for Saturday.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #28
DRonco
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XID_AZ
I'm glad BigB added the "And No, that is not too much time!" comment about roasting the oats for 75 mins because my wife was like "75 min?"
Mine said the same thing. :-)

Old 10-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #29
DRonco
Recipes 

Update: I brewed this tonight. Overall it was modestly successful. since this is only my third brew, I'm still working to refine my process.

I toasted the oats per your recipe, then started the steep with just the oats in 1.5 gallons at 115*F for 15 mins then added the rest of the grains and raised the temp to 155 for an additional 20 mins. I learned the hard way exactly how much volume the grains will increase since my strainer wasn't large enough to hold them while I rinsed them with another 1.5 gallons. Eventually I just rinsed it in stages. Oh well! Next time I'll use a muslin bag.

Once I got the boil going I added half of the extract, about 3#, and 2 oz goldings. @ 15 mins I added the remaining extract and 2 oz unsweetened bakers chocolate.

At flame out I started chilling, and here's where it got interesting. I froze a gallon of sterile water to aid in cooling and also for top off. I didn't calculate the liquid displacement very well so it spilled over into my sink. I then thought I could cool it better after transfering to the fermenter because I'd have more room for additional ice. In the process of cooling I dropped my thermometer into the bucket. Doh! So I dumped half of it back to my boil kettle so I could fish it out.

After all that, turned out I'd aerated enough that my temp was about 66*F so I pitched wyeast 1469 (yorkshire). Hopefully fermentation will take off quickly even without a starter. I'd wanted to make one but just didn't get to it.

And in all the excitement I forgot my OG sample so I took it after pitching the yeast. Came out at 1.044. Hopefully taking the sample with yeast in it won't throw it off.

Anyways, thanks for a great recipe and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cheers!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #30
BigB
Recipes 

Baker's chocolate eh? Hmmm... Sounds interesting. Let us know how it works.

Quote:

Quick Reply