Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Russian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 02:40 AM   #1
senorfartman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Russian Imperial Stout

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Wyeast Liquid
Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.07-1.08
Final Gravity: 1.02-1.03
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: Motor Oilesque
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 65-75 Fahrenheit
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None

This is from a kit that turned out particularly well. I take no credit for the recipe but for those interested in a RIS, it is excellent.

6.6 lbs Plain Dark Malt Extract
2 lbs Plain Dark Dry Malt Extract
8 oz Crushed Roasted Barley
8 oz Crushed Black Patent
1 lb Crushed Crystal Malt 60L
1 oz Yakima Magnum Hops (Bittering)
50 mL Activator Liquid Yeast
2 gal Water

Fill the pot with 2 gallons of water.

Place the Patent, Barley and Crystal Malt in a steeping bag for 20 minutes at 140 - 160 degrees Fahrenheit.

Remove the steeping bags and bring the wort to a boil.

Add the DME and Hops and boil for 60 minutes stirring occasionally.

Cool the wort afterward, transfer it to the fermenter. add the yeast and seal.

My first batch averaged around 4% ABV. It is very drinkable and I had a noticeable buzz going on after a couple at the tailgate today

Fermenter 1:
Fermenter 2:

Bottled: Irish Red
Bottled: Le Stout
Bottled: Edwort's Pale Ale
Bottled: Dark Chocolate Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Brewenstein
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I made this on 5/9/09 and bottled yesterday (6/7/09). The only thing I did different was use Safele-04 for the yeast. Very vigorous fermentation. It tasted awesome ! I can't wait for this to carb up and age some more. This recipe is a winner in my book, and I'm sure I will make it again.

Last edited by Brewenstein; 06-08-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: made note of change in yeast

Old 06-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
robp7787
Recipes 

Question: You say the batch was around 4% ABV. Am I confused?? Shouldn't a RIS come out in the 8-9% ABV? I am getting ready to brew one myself... is the low ABV just from not aging long enough?

Also, from whom did you get the kit? I was just looking at Midwest Brewing Supply's website. Has anyone ever used their RIS kit? I could use some input about whether to purchase this kit or another.

Last edited by robp7787; 06-09-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
Brewenstein
Recipes 

Not sure about the OP, but my OG was 1.062 and my FG was 1.018 for an ABV of about 5.6%. Perhaps I didn't stir enough after topping off with the last 2 gallons of water, because I thought that my OG was a little low. Anyway, I'm not sure it is a true RIS, but it was tasty at bottling. I'm looking forward to next week when I am going to sample one (I know that it is a bit early, but I like to know how the beer is progressing).

About the kit - don't know where the OP got his, but I just went to my LHBS and picked up the ingredients.

Last edited by Brewenstein; 06-10-2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: info on kit

Old 07-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Brewenstein
Recipes 

Update: After 2 weeks the beer poured like a Coke - quick and rapidly dissolving head. Taste was okay, but seemed to lack some complexity and mouth feel. Fast forward two more weeks (one month in the bottle). Now head is better, smaller bubbles and lasts longer. Taste is improved, as is mouthfeel. I am really starting to like this, as are my friends that I have shared it with. I am going to convert this to an AG recipe and add some oatmeal for the next time I brew it. When I do, I will update.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
r3dn3ckstyl3z
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=robp7787;1371713]Question: You say the batch was around 4% ABV. Am I confused?? Shouldn't a RIS come out in the 8-9% ABV? I am getting ready to brew one myself... is the low ABV just from not aging long enough?
QUOTE]

No kidding..... I've got one in secondary right now... It's still about 2-3 weeks from bottling and it's already at 10.9 estimated ABV..

Primary: Air
Secondary:Air
Bottle Conditioning:Imperial Stout

Quick Reply