Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Russian Imperial Stout (2011 HBT Competition Category Winner)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #61
dougdecinces
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A coworker of mine was thinking about getting into brewing and wanted to brew a Guinness clone with her first recipe. After I bought all of the ingredients and suffered through one postponement, she decided to leave me in a lurch for good and cancel outright, leaving me hold the bag (of grains). Luckily I ran accross your recipe. After buying an extra couple pounds of pale malt and specialty grains, I'll be brewing a 2.5 gallon batch of your RIS instead. And, yes, I am keeping it all to myself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #62
gluttonoussloth
Recipes 

Just bottled 5 gallons of this last week. I will post a picture when finished and let you guys know how it turned out. Merry Christmas to me.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #63
discndyno
Recipes 

Thanks for the recipe! I impulse brewed this one yesterday but had to modify it quite a bit based on what I had on hand (a classic case of "I want to brew NOW and consequences be darned").

I used (in equivalent quantities/IBUs) carafa II instead of roasted barley, wheat malt instead of cara-pils, columbus and saaz on the hops, and 05 for the yeast. Yes, I know much of that isn't to style and will drastically change the final beer, but it was the best I could do on short notice.

The OG came in quite high (1.113!), but it tasted GREAT, and is happily bubbling away right now. I'm very excited about this one and will report back in several months on it's progress. Thanks again!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:04 AM   #64
bluehenbrew
Recipes 

This looks great. I am planning to brew it next week. Question about the hops though. I plugged the recipe into Beersmith and total IBUs show 39 which is below the RIS style guideline of 50-90. Is this on purpose? Am I doing something wrong in Beersmith?

Old 12-19-2011, 04:52 AM   #65
discndyno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehenbrew
This looks great. I am planning to brew it next week. Question about the hops though. I plugged the recipe into Beersmith and total IBUs show 39 which is below the RIS style guideline of 50-90. Is this on purpose? Am I doing something wrong in Beersmith?
I'd check your boil volume. That can have a big effect on IBUs and is an easy thing to miss. 39 is very low (the original recipe shows 87.2 IBUs).

Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #66
bluehenbrew
Recipes 

Thanks discndyno, you were right. I am new to the software. So, after bumping up the boil volume, my IBUs are too high. Tried messing with the hop alpha values and the brew efficiency to match but no luck. I am not too worried about it.

I am thinking about aging it with some oak cubes in the secondary. Any thoughts?

Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #67
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Beer from second runnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerspitnight View Post
Mar-
Any suggestion on getting a beer from the "second runnings" of this grist? (not sure if I am using the right terminology here). It is a ton of grain and if we can pull off another batch of wort after the RIS is lautered, I would like to do so. Any suggestions on how to, or even if we can do this?
Thanks.
I was thinking the same thing. Just brewed this last night. Followed the origingal recipe to yield 5 gallons to primary at 1.094. The second runnings yielded 5 gallons at 1.035.

For the second beer, I approximated color by inputing 1/4 of the original grain bill into a calculator. My goal for gravity was 1.040. I estimated that 1 pound of DME will increase gravity in 5 gallons by about .009.

Since my gravity was at 1.035 I added one pound DME to the end up with a gravity of 1.044.

The second boil would not need nearly as much hop flavor or bitterness. I went with a 60 minute addition with 1 oz of Serebrianka and a 30 min addition with 2 ounces serebrianka. This would be added to a 1 Liter starter.

I will post the two beers side by side... eventually. I can also give a flavor report on the second beer in a couple months as I predict it will mature more quickly.

meh.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #68
blip01
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just brewed this yesterday. The wort tasted great. Can't wait til It's ready to drink!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #69
blip01
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Guess the starter worked. Clogged the airlock and the lid was bulging from the pressure. Nearly had a blowout.

forumrunner_20120103_182638.jpg  

Old 01-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #70
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip01 View Post
Guess the starter worked. Clogged the airlock and the lid was bulging from the pressure. Nearly had a blowout.
I would definitely recommend using a blowoff tube to anyone attempting this beer.

I had tons of krausen and the fermetation was super active for at least 4 days.

meh.

Quick Reply