Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Russian Imperial Stout (2011 HBT Competition Category Winner)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #261
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm07 View Post
Again thanks for the different ideas! I only have 1 fermenting bucket and hence no yeast cakes I could pitch this on. My LHBS doesn't carry WLP so I picked up a Wyeast 1056 smack pack and plan to make a 3L starter as recommended.

Having never made one before, I wonder if a 3L starter is just a one-time boil of 3L of water together with 3 times the DME usually used for a 1L starter, or if it is a three-step process of making individual 1L starters with floccing and decanting in between. I did some googling and results seem mixed. Which did you mean in your suggestion?
For a 3000ml starter I use a 4000L flask with 2800ml sterile water and 300g DME for a 10P solution. You could step it but infection is always a risk outside of a lab environment.

"Ales are supposed to be slightly fruity, and Belgian and German wheat beers are expected to have banana flavor components, but sometimes a beer comes along that could flag down a troop of monkeys." - John Palmer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #262
lordmorphous
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
That will certainly get the gravity down.
This got my 1.048 down to 1.036, but no further. Went ahead and bottled mine though and it is amazing. My OG was 1.115

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #263
m00se
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I brewed this in April 2013 with a portion of a Rochefort cake from a clone I did. I wasn't controlling ferm temps back then and think the fermentation got too hot. After a month on the cake I transferred to a corny for 6mo to bulk age. Unfortunately I'm getting a good deal of fusel alcohol in the finish off a pour from the keg. I've read that over time fusel can dissipate into esters. I'm thinking of moving the keg out of the keezer and leaving it to bulk condition for more time hoping the hotness cools down a little.

The good news is that I brewed the same recipe in May 2013 and have been bulk aging on Wild Turkey soaked oak cubes for 5+mo. I'm hoping that one turns out a little better.

Time will only tell if the hotness goes away.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #264
Kbho68
Recipes 

I was thinking of adding some oak before I bottle this beer. Do you think this beer would do well on oak?

Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #265
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbho68 View Post
I was thinking of adding some oak before I bottle this beer. Do you think this beer would do well on oak?
I think some oak aging could pair well with this recipe, iffy....but only as a variation of the style

"Ales are supposed to be slightly fruity, and Belgian and German wheat beers are expected to have banana flavor components, but sometimes a beer comes along that could flag down a troop of monkeys." - John Palmer

Old 01-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #266
tripplehazzard
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What was your mash temp? Im thinking 154 would be good to keep it a lil dry with some sweetness still

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

"good people drink good beer" -HST

Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #267
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

We last mashed at 154F. The mouth-feel was still hefty.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:22 AM   #268
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbho68 View Post
I'd avoid adding any more flavors to this beer. It is very complex as it is.

--------

Beer ----

--- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

CSI Likes This 
Old 01-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #269
Still_dreamin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm thinking about brewing this but am unsure on mash/sparge volumes. I saw in an early post (page 6) the author recommended 1.5 quarts per pound of grain? That's in line with how i usually brew, but in this case, with a 20.75lbs grain bill that's looking like ~31 quarts or ~7.75 gallons.

That's all fine and good - i have the capacity in both my tun & kettle - but the preboil volume is only listed as 7.32 gallons! Is that much mash water lost to the grain? Because it seems even if you lost a gallon you'd only have a bout a half gallon to sparge with...

Can anybody fill me in on their specifics when brewing this? How much mash water? How much sparge water? Thanks!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #270
orangemen5
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_dreamin View Post
I'm thinking about brewing this but am unsure on mash/sparge volumes. I saw in an early post (page 6) the author recommended 1.5 quarts per pound of grain? That's in line with how i usually brew, but in this case, with a 20.75lbs grain bill that's looking like ~31 quarts or ~7.75 gallons.

That's all fine and good - i have the capacity in both my tun & kettle - but the preboil volume is only listed as 7.32 gallons! Is that much mash water lost to the grain? Because it seems even if you lost a gallon you'd only have a bout a half gallon to sparge with...

Can anybody fill me in on their specifics when brewing this? How much mash water? How much sparge water? Thanks!

Your going to lose more than a 1 gal from grain absorption. I lost 2.5 gals. I guess it could depend on your crush and type of cooler you use. I also bumped up my starting boil volume since I boil off 1.75 gals in an hour. You could also lower your water to 1.3 qts pp if you wanted to give you more to sparge with.

Quick Reply