Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Rapture Russian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #81
Wheatmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

FYI an easy alternative yeast option is using 2 packets of 04 - It finishes sweet and works fast and clean in big stouts. I've had alot of success with it, more so than 05 in this style.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #82
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Cracked open a bottle for Stout Day...WOW this is a wonderful RIS...HAPPY STOUT DAY!!

Brewed this back in March.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:34 AM   #83
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I brewed this beer back in April with the intent to make some christmas gifts out of it in the process. It was actually the second beer I've EVER brewed. All i have to say is thank god for beginner's luck because this beer is amazing!

Brewed: 4/20 (og: 1.132)
Re-Racked with Angel's Envy Bourbon Barrel Chips: 6/16 (1.023)
Bottled: 11/21 (1.024)

Made 18 bombers with ~3.75 gallons in the final product. I waxed the tops and added custom labels, and then added bottle x of y to the bottles to add the extra flair...

Freeride - where'd you get your labels from?
On-Deck: DIPA, Fauxgaarden Wit

Old 01-03-2014, 03:47 AM   #84
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

My biggest beer yet is another stout with roughly 18 lbs of grain. This has 4 more...I'm using a 10 gallon igloo cooler and I fly sparge any tips? I was at capacity during that batch. But I'm dying to brew an ris

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #85
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBrew13 View Post
My biggest beer yet is another stout with roughly 18 lbs of grain. This has 4 more...I'm using a 10 gallon igloo cooler and I fly sparge any tips? I was at capacity during that batch. But I'm dying to brew an ris

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app
My 10G cooler MLT was nearly maxed with the 22+ lb grist at a 1.25L/lb mash ratio (although the old "Can I Mash It? calculator says you can squeeze closer to 30 LBS in with a thicker mash).

I batch sparged it, but I don't see why you couldn't fly-sparge if you start running off a bit before beginning your sparge. A mash-out might be tricky though.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #86
freeride
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradthoc View Post
Freeride - where'd you get your labels from?
I can't seem to find the exact brand, but I got something like this at my local homebrew store: http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Textured...+Bottle+Labels

I printed quickly on my laser printer and actually like the clean, simple result.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #87
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I can't seem to find the exact brand, but I got something like this at my local homebrew store: http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Textured...+Bottle+Labels

I printed quickly on my laser printer and actually like the clean, simple result.
Thanks! Just really liked the little extra touches of your lable (brew date, bottle numbers, etc.).

Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #88
freeride
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradthoc View Post
Thanks! Just really liked the little extra touches of your lable (brew date, bottle numbers, etc.).
Thanks a lot! I knew I wanted to make some ageable beer as Christmas gifts. I was loving how the taste was developing after primary and throughout the secondary fermentors, so I knew I had my beer. Thus, I spent some time figuring out how to take this gift to the next level!

In related news, I brewed this beer again on 1/2/14. Used a 3-step mash on my new digitial single-tier system (protein, sach, and dext rests). I wanted to step up the mouthfeel and "thickness" of the beer. Kegged 5 gallons, and an uncarbbed taster....two words: NAILED IT!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #89
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Just finished this last night. OG at 1.15, and used a WLP007 starter. Taste at yeast pitching was nice. Sweet, chocolate, coffee. Looking forward to putting it on local whiskey soaked Oaked chips in a month or so!

Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #90
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Just an update on mine... Tasted a small today. Sweet, chocolate, some oak/vanilla. Not as much of a whiskey flavor as I had hoped for. I'm hoping another month will perhaps improve this area. But, a question while I'm on the topic - as this is my first bourbon-esque beer with oak chips. I soaked the oak chips in whiskey for 2 months prior. When transferring to secondary I strained the chips and put them in the fermenter. Was this the best way to do it? Should I have transferred some of the whiskey itself into the Carboy, or has the batch itself told me to use more oak next time? I used roughly 2oz. This time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply