Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Rapture Russian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #61
sok454
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewed this over the weekend... Partial Mash using BIAB... and I messed it up...somehow had written down 4 oz nugget... thought i'd add some personalization to it so I also added 1 oz of wilamette and fuggle for 30 min... IBU is around 100+ now... ugh... When I tasted my sample today I thought...man this is knock your socks off bitter... No wonder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #62
dcHokie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok454 View Post
Brewed this over the weekend... Partial Mash using BIAB... and I messed it up...somehow had written down 4 oz nugget... thought i'd add some personalization to it so I also added 1 oz of wilamette and fuggle for 30 min... IBU is around 100+ now... ugh... When I tasted my sample today I thought...man this is knock your socks off bitter... No wonder.
Bitterness fades slowly over time, but I suppose if you are patient enough you could cellar it and see how it ages. I've brewed this recipe (and tweaks of it) a couple more times since the first batch, but still have most of that original batch stashed away to age.

Aging: Anejo Rum Sour, BDSA, Flemish Gold, Sour Solera, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Sour Solera, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Barleywine Barrel, "american wild" barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #63
sok454
Recipes 

That's what I was planning. Figured by Xmas I'd pull some out. Was going to primary till FG is done and them secondary to batch condition for another 2-3 months them bottle in September. Have 2-3 months for bottle condition.

Started brewing October 2012 with the Irish Car Bomb Stout (extract)

June 2013 Moved to BIAB/Partial Mash

August 2013 Moved to Full Mash 5 Gal MT

August 2013 Russian Imperial Stout "Time Warp Tongue Tickler" won Gold at local brew competition. Only 12 weeks from brew date!!!

Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #64
jemolo88
Recipes 

how did you go about splitting this into two fermenters? Just pitch yeast stir and then transfer half to second vessel?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #65
dcHokie

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemolo88 View Post
how did you go about splitting this into two fermenters? Just pitch yeast stir and then transfer half to second vessel?
The batch was split for extra head space so I wouldn't lose a gallon+ to blowoff (there are some uber-explosive RIS blowoff pics/vids floating around the site!).

After cooling, I just transferred the wort in equal parts to two separate fermenters and then pitched about 1L of yeast slurry to each fermenter. After 4-5 weeks, I racked the contents of both fermenters together into a 5 gallon carboy, along with bourbon soaked oak cubes, for bulk aging.

Aging: Anejo Rum Sour, BDSA, Flemish Gold, Sour Solera, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Sour Solera, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Barleywine Barrel, "american wild" barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #66
sok454
Recipes 

What were you OG and FG? I got 1.114-5 to 1.033-4. No blow off at all. Sitting at 2 weeks in primary. Not sure if I should rack to secondary since I'm not adding any bourbon chips etc.

August 2013 Russian Imperial Stout "Time Warp Tongue Tickler" won Gold at local brew competition. Only 12 weeks from brew date!!!

Old 06-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #67
dcHokie

Recipes 

Quote:
What were you OG and FG? I got 1.114-5 to 1.033-4. No blow off at all. Sitting at 2 weeks in primary. Not sure if I should rack to secondary since I'm not adding any bourbon chips etc.
The OG was 1.120 and the FG was 1.030 at the time of transfer to secondary/aging vessel.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #68
sok454
Recipes 

Decided just to bottle age this. So it sat in the primary for 5 weeks. Now it's bottled. Hope to test one in 2-3 weeks just to confirm it is carbing.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #69
dcHokie

Recipes 

Quote:
Decided just to bottle age this. So it sat in the primary for 5 weeks. Now it's bottled. Hope to test one in 2-3 weeks just to confirm it is carbing.
Hope it turns out well. I just racked my most recent version onto a few ounces of oak cubes soaked in Bulleit Rye, going to let it bulk age for a few months.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #70
Rys06Tbss

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've been wanting to do a RIS for a long while. I have an imperial blonde sitting on my pacman yeast cake right now. I think I might make this to rack this onto it once I bottle.

My blog. All things Ryan

DeathBase Brewery

Quick Reply