Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Rapture Russian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #51
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by derikdebo View Post
I have a question, with the mash at 149 your trying to pull as much fermentable sugars, yet in the recipe you added a bunch of unfermentables. I'm just curious as to why you did that. I'm gonna brew this here pretty soon and just want some feedback, thanks.
I wanted it to have a thick, viscous mouthfeel. I think of Old Rasputin, for example, as having a delightfully oily texture and was hoping to replicate that type of chewiness without a syrupy sweetness.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #52
tellyho
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I can attest that the mouthfeel was a victory. Similar to Old Rasputin in that aspect. Interesting how much it's changed even after a couple weeks in the bottle - an excellent recipe.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #53
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Brewed this two weeks ago and took a gravity reading...started with 1.080 and now at 1.022...this is gonna be a favorite. Plan on secondary with vanilla beans, then let it sit for the next four months. Sample was very hoppy and I could taste the alcohol.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #54
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NivekD View Post
Brewed this two weeks ago and took a gravity reading...started with 1.080 and now at 1.022...this is gonna be a favorite. Plan on secondary with vanilla beans, then let it sit for the next four months. Sample was very hoppy and I could taste the alcohol.
My batch was a little boozy initially, but has mellowed over time. Sounds delicious with the vanilla beans, I hope it turns out great!

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #55
Trey57
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I see the original batch was at 1.030 after 1 month. Was this the final numbers? I brewed this 5 weeks ago and I'm at 1.030 which I thought was too high still, till I came back to this thread. Anyway just curious if after the 4 months of aging if it crept down on you. I did just throw a pack of S05 into the secondary yesterday hoping to get it going. I used S04 for the primary fermentation.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #56
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey57 View Post
I see the original batch was at 1.030 after 1 month. Was this the final numbers? I brewed this 5 weeks ago and I'm at 1.030 which I thought was too high still, till I came back to this thread. Anyway just curious if after the 4 months of aging if it crept down on you. I did just throw a pack of S05 into the secondary yesterday hoping to get it going. I used S04 for the primary fermentation.
I'm out of town and don't have my brew journal, but I believe it did finish around that mark even after aging for a few months. I like some residual malty sweetness and body to keep it from being too boozy and 'hot', but that is personal preference and a little lower FG should be fine as well. Hope it turns out well either way!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #57
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Anybody think dehusked carafa II would be a suitable sub for black patent?

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #58
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab
Anybody think dehusked carafa II would be a suitable sub for black patent?
No, quite the opposite. Black Patent is used for intense roastiness, acridness. Carafa III is basically black patent but with the husk removed so there is less acridness.. Use dark chocolate, Black malt, chocolate, even RB is better

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #59
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks a lot for the help. I figured RB was a better sub but was trying to get rid of the dc II.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #60
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Think I found my next beer..... just to convert it to extract now...

Quick Reply