Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Rapture Russian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #31
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccumath View Post
Also, why the longer boil and why the low mash temp? I am just curious...
I used a longer boil because a) I collected a lot of wort and wanted to boil down the volume a bit and b) to encourage some additional kettle caramelization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccumath View Post
15.5 lbs Maris Otter
1.5 lbs Barley (Roasted)
1 lb Special B
0.75 lbs Chocolate
0.5 lbs CaraPils
0.5 lbs Wheat (Flaked)

2 oz. Columbus (13.9%) for 60 minutes
1.5 oz. Amarillo (9.3%) for 30 minutes
1 oz. Simcoe (12.2%) for 30 minutes

Let me know what you think, and if I should make any changes that you feel would be more appropriate for the style.
Your grain bill looks solid, pretty close to the RIS recipe Jamil has in Brewing Classic Styles. I'm personally not a huge fan of citrusy American aroma hops as mid-boil/late-boil additions in big, cellarable beers like Russian Imperial Stout. But that is personal preference.

Good luck on your brew!

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #32
grundig5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just wanted to update here - I brewed this back on Thanksgiving and just tapped it over the weekend. I added bourbon and oak to the aging process and kind of wish I hadn't. The base stout is nice, definitely a bit lighter on the roast/chocolate than other RIS's I have brewed. Mine apparently fermented too hot as it's quite fruity/estery. I'm hoping in a year or so that will tone down some. Nice recipe though!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #33
freeride
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this beer back in April with the intent to make some christmas gifts out of it in the process. It was actually the second beer I've EVER brewed. All i have to say is thank god for beginner's luck because this beer is amazing!

Brewed: 4/20 (og: 1.132)
Re-Racked with Angel's Envy Bourbon Barrel Chips: 6/16 (1.023)
Bottled: 11/21 (1.024)

Made 18 bombers with ~3.75 gallons in the final product. I waxed the tops and added custom labels, and then added bottle x of y to the bottles to add the extra flair...

Old 12-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #34
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I brewed this beer back in April with the intent to make some christmas gifts out of it in the process. It was actually the second beer I've EVER brewed. All i have to say is thank god for beginner's luck because this beer is amazing!

Brewed: 4/20 (og: 1.132)
Re-Racked with Angel's Envy Bourbon Barrel Chips: 6/16 (1.023)
Bottled: 11/21 (1.024)

Made 18 bombers with ~3.75 gallons in the final product. I waxed the tops and added custom labels, and then added bottle x of y to the bottles to add the extra flair...

Really glad the stout turned out so well for you. I love the look of those hand-numbered labels and the waxed tops together, awesome finished product!

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 12-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #35
scray24
Recipes 

Noticed on the original recipe you had both Pacman and Thames Valley listed. Did you use both or default back to the Pacman based on the high ABV tolerance?

Looks great, going to be brewing something real close in the next few days.

Planning: Marzen/Oktoberfest, Belgian Pale, Maredsous 8 clone, RIS, Scottish 80 +/-
Primary/Secondary: Red's Rye, Sorta Saison Brett IPA, Pissenlit Saison Printemps (souring), Saison du Ete Amarillo, Pale sour (sorta RR Temptation clone), Dark sour (sorta RR Consecration clone)
Kegged: Mile'd Brown, Ginger Saison
Bottled: Barleywine, Palo Santo'd BW, Hard Lemonade, Ginger Saison, Noel Blanc Saison + Brett, Delirious Monk Golden, Praying Monk Brune

Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #36
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scray24 View Post
Noticed on the original recipe you had both Pacman and Thames Valley listed. Did you use both or default back to the Pacman based on the high ABV tolerance?

Looks great, going to be brewing something real close in the next few days.
Oh, good catch, I did a smaller beer with 1275 as a starter, but didn't love it, so I opted for using Pacman.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #37
bostonbrewin
Recipes 

I think I'm being dense here but could you elaborate on the yeast? I'm reading in your original post...

"Yeast: Wyeast 1764 PacMan
Yeast Starter: 1.5 quart slurry
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: 1.5 quart slurry Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley"

...and a bit further down "yeast: 1275".

Did you use only the 1764 for the recipe and then the 1275 for another beer?

Thanks! Looking forward to brewing this for next winter.

On Tap: English Pale Ale//Throw in All Extra Hops in the Fridge Holiday Ale//Vanilla Pumpkin Ale//Basic Belgian.
Secondary: Hopped up Pale Ale
Primary: Baklava Mead//1st Try Cider

Old 12-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #38
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbrewin View Post
I think I'm being dense here but could you elaborate on the yeast? I'm reading in your original post...

"Yeast: Wyeast 1764 PacMan
Yeast Starter: 1.5 quart slurry
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: 1.5 quart slurry Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley"

...and a bit further down "yeast: 1275".

Did you use only the 1764 for the recipe and then the 1275 for another beer?

Thanks! Looking forward to brewing this for next winter.
Another good catch. I updated the text of the original post, but I don't think I can update the hard-coded recipe fields without a mods help.

I didn't end up using the 1275 Thames, just the 1764 Pacman. Sorry for the confusion and good luck on the brewday!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #39
bostonbrewin
Recipes 

Thanks for the clarification...brewing this today.

On Tap: English Pale Ale//Throw in All Extra Hops in the Fridge Holiday Ale//Vanilla Pumpkin Ale//Basic Belgian.
Secondary: Hopped up Pale Ale
Primary: Baklava Mead//1st Try Cider

Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #40
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbrewin View Post
Thanks for the clarification...brewing this today.
Sure thing, hope the brewday goes well...and beware of a big blowoff!

Quick Reply