Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Rapture Russian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #21
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundig5 View Post
After a 5 week primary I racked to a keg last night with 12 ounces of bourbon and 2 ounces of oak cubes in a bag. It was sitting at 1.019 and tasted excellent. Trying to hide this keg for a few months!
Excellent, glad to hear the sample was tasty. And 12 ounces of Bourbon is no joke....that ones gonna be a sipper!

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #22
tellyho
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

This is sitting in carboy, sans oak and bourbon. Looking forward to seeing how the final product turns out. Tasting at transfer was smooooooth.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #23
joeyrod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I would love to try an extract version since im not setup for all grain yet

Old 01-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #24
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrod View Post
I would love to try an extract version since im not setup for all grain yet
Hey joeyrod, I'd like to help you out but I don't have much experience converting an AG recipe with this many components to extract...I'd just be guessing. For partial-mash, you could convert the 16 lbs of combined Maris Otter & 2-row to extract fairly easily and steep the remaining specialty grains and adjuncts. I'm not sure if this is much help though, anybody else wanna take a stab at it?

Also, a lot of folks here have referenced the attached whitepaper as a good resource for converting recipes:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

Hope it helps, cheers!

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
joeyrod
Recipes 

Thanks chris for the help it sounds like this beer was a big success and I would love to try it...although I don't like to clone beers I would make an exception for this one... all grain coming soon I just need a couple more things

Old 04-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
freeride
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry to be a n00b, but plugging this into BrewSmith 2 and trying to sort out the mash out, etc. Can you give more detail on your mash process? BS 2 yields negative sparge volumes...

Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #27
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride
Sorry to be a n00b, but plugging this into BrewSmith 2 and trying to sort out the mash out, etc. Can you give more detail on your mash process? BS 2 yields negative sparge volumes...
Sure, no worries. I used a standard single infusion mash at 1.25 qts water / per LB grain. I believe it was right around 7 gallons of strike water and I mashed at 149 F. I double batch sparged and used some of the last runnings for a separate, small hoppy brown beer.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #28
freeride
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
Sure, no worries. I used a standard single infusion mash at 1.25 qts water / per LB grain. I believe it was right around 7 gallons of strike water and I mashed at 149 F. I double batch sparged and used some of the last runnings for a separate, small hoppy brown beer.
Thanks! I have the water warming up to brew this now!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #29
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Really glad I found this thread! Just increases my hopes that the RIS I am going to brew next weekend will turn out well. Also going to use Pacman yeast, and using 2 oz. Columbus, 1.5 oz. Amarillo, and 1 oz Simcoe. Will post the recipe here in a few when the crib midget finishes up her Baby Einstein video on the computer... Hoping I can get some feedback from you guys.

Also, why the longer boil and why the low mash temp? I am just curious... Trying to get different ideas/opinions to hone my recipe for next weekend.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Ryan M.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #30
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1764 PacMan
Yeast Starter: 2 L starter (stepped up to ~450 billion cells)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.107
Final Gravity: ~1.024
IBU: 90
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: SRM >60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 month
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): As long as possible

15.5 lbs Maris Otter
1.5 lbs Barley (Roasted)
1 lb Special B
0.75 lbs Chocolate
0.5 lbs CaraPils
0.5 lbs Wheat (Flaked)

2 oz. Columbus (13.9%) for 60 minutes
1.5 oz. Amarillo (9.3%) for 30 minutes
1 oz. Simcoe (12.2%) for 30 minutes

Strike with 6.2 gallons RO water (treated with 1 tsp calcium chloride per 5 gallons) at 166 degrees (152 mash temperature). Mash for 90 minutes.

Double batch sparge with 1.9 gallons each of treated RO water at 186 degrees (grain bed temp 170 degrees). Collect ~7.15 gallons water. Boil, add hops at specified intervals, add 1 tsp yeast nutrient at 15 minutes til end of boil. Cool and pitch yeast. Wait.

Let me know what you think, and if I should make any changes that you feel would be more appropriate for the style.

Thanks,
Ryan M.

Quick Reply