Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Quilter's Irish Death - Clone/Tribute

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #11
BrewJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Any updates on the recipe? I'm craving a good beer like this for the winter. Too bad I hadn't joined the board earlier, I just left Oly for Portland last year. I've got lots of brewing buddies down here, but never knew anyone else that brewed up there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
SouthBay
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I haven't rebrewed it yet, but have all the stuff to do another one for my next brew, probably in the next week or two. I don't know that i'd change much on it, truth be told, but have some extra cocoa nibs lying around. I'll likely up the chocolate a bit (4oz dark chocolate, 4 oz nibs) to see how it turns out.

we blessed your skin
we blessed you with our mark
become a part of the klok
become a gear

Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 AM   #13
yso191
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like Irish Death also. I just finished the first class at CWU in a certificate program for the Craft Beer Industry, and our final class was taking a tour of the Iron Horse Brewery (read: lots of free beer in a stimulating environment). ANYWAY, the reason I am responding to this thread is they just came out with a new brew called 'Insane with Grain'. It is quite similar to Irish Death, but IMO even better. If you see it snap up a bottle or two.

Steve

Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #14
SouthBay
Recipes 

I tried their 'Double Rainbow' and thought it was pretty good, but haven't seen the Insane with Grain yet.

I brewed this up again today, using 4oz cocoa nibs and 2 oz dark chocolate, and used some BRY97 yeast. we'll see how it turns out.

we blessed your skin
become a gear

Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
DjOkie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, I emailed Tyson at IHB and asked him about the recipe, and this is what he had to say:

"Not bad, Irish death has a 1.080 OG and 25 IBU. It only uses about 3% roasted grains. No chocolate or lactose but hey, make it your own. You can always buy Irish death. Our yeast is an American ale yeast with a little bit fruitier profile."

you dont mind if I play with your recipe do you?

Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
SouthBay
Recipes 

Of course not. But, if it turns out awesome, you have to let us know what you ended up changing!

we blessed your skin
become a gear

Dynachrome Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #17
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBay View Post
One interesting note: I met with a brewer from Iron Horse Brewery that makes the original this weekend at a Brew Fest in Olympia. After talking, he explained I'm somewhat off with my recipe. Apparently the original has 6 malts, including Pale and Roast Barley. He told me they never tell anyone ALL of the ingredients.

So, I'll continue to play around with the recipe to make a more authentic clone, but all in all, i'm happy with it as it is as an imperial sweet stout.

Plus, i'm glad you like the recipe!
I liked the "make-it-your-own" quote. How about calling it "Gold Sluice Imperial Red" with a nod to its SF incarnation.
miners-sierras.jpg  

Old 02-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #18
buzzerj
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would love to perfect this beer. If they do use an American yeast I would guess it could be WLP051 California Ale V or Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast. Jim Quilter originated this early on as a barleywine maybe 15 to 20 years ago so I think it would need to be a yeast strain that was around that long. Ever since Iron Horse toned it down to 7+% ABV I would still assume they retained the same yeast strain. The two candidate yeast strains above come to mind along with Wyeast 1272 American Ale II which requires a higher fermentation temperature, say 70 to 72 degrees F to get the fruitiness. Jim Quilter was at Sierra Nevada when he began developing this. I guess I would hazard a guess that the California Ale V yeast would be my first choice to experiment with this dark ale recipe. Isn't it terrible to have to experiment with making multiple batches of this beer? Life's just not fair.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #19
NoahPalmer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yso191
I like Irish Death also. I just finished the first class at CWU in a certificate program for the Craft Beer Industry, and our final class was taking a tour of the Iron Horse Brewery (read: lots of free beer in a stimulating environment). ANYWAY, the reason I am responding to this thread is they just came out with a new brew called 'Insane with Grain'. It is quite similar to Irish Death, but IMO even better. If you see it snap up a bottle or two.

Steve
We'll look who I found randomly. Cheers!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #20
beerbredy66
Recipes 

What kind of cocoa powder did you use? I know Dutch processed is pH balanced with alkali while natural can be more astringent. I'm not sure if I can find fat-free, so I'm figuring out what I can manage.

Thanks for the recipe, I'm excited to try it!

Quick Reply