Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Puebla Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Puebla Porter

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: Pitched two packets
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 35.7
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 Week at 68
Additional Fermentation: none
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks at 70
Tasting Notes: This is an easy drinking porter with nice coffee and chocolate notes.

Grain Bill:
11 lbs. Maris Otter Pale Malt
1 lb. Chocolate Malt
12 oz. Black Patent Malt
8 oz Flaked Wheat

Hop Schedule:
0.50 oz East Kent First Wort addition.
1.50 oz. East Kent at 60 minutes.
1.00 oz. Fuggles at 15 minutes.

One hour mash (1.25 qt/lb) at 152 Deg F.
Batch Sparge.

This beer is named for the Battle of Puebla, since I first brewed it on Cinco De Mayo (which commemorates that battle). It is meant to be dark, and bitter with a fairly sweet finish.

The color is deep and dark black--without even a hint of red around the edges. The flavor had a bit of the Black Patent ash character, good strong coffee and chocolate. Hop bitterness is present but mostly hidden behind the malt. No hop aroma.

Note: I brew with local water that is dechlorinated and kettle salts calculated according to Bru'n Water Spread sheet. You may have to adjust your own water accordingly.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply