Pitch Black American Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
House Ale
Yeast Starter
God yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
~2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 60-72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
Lager if possible
Tasting Notes
Ridiculously smooth for such a big beer. The multi-colored head is very enticing.
This started as EdWort's Robust Porter, so I better give credit where credit is due. This does NOT fit any BJCP guidelines btw. I lager after bottling (8) weeks and the flavor and smoothness and the alcohol will floor you. One batch I even double primed since my kegger went hay-hire and it was still a giant hit.

Grain Bill:
4# Amber Dry Extract
6# Pale 2-row
1# 40L
1# Chocolate Malt
1/2# Flaked Barley
1/2# Instant Oats (make sure you bake them before mash)

Hops:
1oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
1/2oz Cascade @ 60 min

Yeast:
You can use your favorite house yeast. I would avoid any real fruity yeasts, but you can use whatever you want.

Mash in 11.25quarts with a target temp of 154°F for 60 minutes. I had a 12°F temp drop in 70°F ambient, so I mash in 166°F. If you're going all grain you may want to mash in at the higher end for more body.

I sparge ~ 8-10 quarts twice @ 185°F. Beersmith says 168°, but I don't know how I'm going to achieve 170°F mash out temps by adding 168°F water to 154°F mash.

60 minute boil. I do a late extract add for no real reason.

Use your immersion chiller to cool to pitching temps, and pitch your favorite yeast. Please make sure to consult the boards or mrmalty for proper pitching rates.

I have found a GREAT improvement in the quality and smoothness of this beer with a 4-8 week lagering period. I lager it in phases easily because it's not a chugging beer. I can lager 1-case @ a time.

Minor tweaks are needed to meet BJCP guidelines:
1. Lose the barley, oats, hop differently and lager for a Baltic Porter.
2. Lose some gravity and call it an Oatmeal Stout.

I love the recipe as-is and do not enter contests.

All grain changes:
1. Swap out 4# Amber DME and increase 2-row to 13#

Extract:
I am not sure it's that possible. There are 3# total specialty grains and adjuncts and I believe they require mashing.

Back