Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Ode To Arthur, Irish Stout (Guinness Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #51
janzik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzik View Post
I noticed that my LHBS gave me Melanoiden instead of Acid Malt. Is this the same or nearly the same thing? The store owner said it was just another name for Acid Malt, but no one else in the store ever heard of either and didn't even realize they had the Melanoiden until she told them.

The wiki has them both in the same category of being Acid Malt, but are they one in the same? How off is my recipe going to be? (They mixed my Roasted Barley with the Melanoiden, so I'm kind of stuck).

Mash ingredients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anyone? </shameless_bump>

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #52
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I really don't think they are similar or interchangeable. You're going to get heavy malt flavors from the Melanoidin, and I don't know of any sourness associated with it.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 04-26-2009, 04:23 AM   #53
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Yeah...no...yeah....sorry...

No similarities between melanoidin and acid malt.

Just don't worry about the acid malt addition. But give your LHBS rep an earful for confusing those two totally different malts.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #54
brew hoperator

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just tapped my keg of this recipe last night and it tasted great. I scaled down the acid malt by half to .07lb (5gal batch) just for my preference. I also did a side by side comparison to a Guiness from a can and I definitely like your recipe better, although I know it may not be fair with all the miles that Guiness has to travel.

Great job on this recipe!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #55
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Got second place with this beer in a recent home brew comp!

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #56
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

So I'm now unemployed... I don't want to spring for the liquid yeast, and have Nottingham on hand. How characteristic is the flavor of the WLP004? Will I miss out on a lot of the special flavor if I pitch the Notty?

-PoB

Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #57
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Yeah...no...yeah....sorry...

No similarities between melanoidin and acid malt.

Just don't worry about the acid malt addition. But give your LHBS rep an earful for confusing those two totally different malts.
I did. So and so called the other so and so an idiot and said never to ask them for anything beyond the basics... that wasn't very nice

Anywho... my roasted barley got mixed in with 4oz of the melanoidin. So I'm stuck using it. How much difference is that 4oz going to make to this recipe? Should I also pursue finding the REAL acid malt?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #58
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

you can try souring a portion of your beer, pasteurizing it, and adding it back in - that's the Guinness practice anyway.

-PoB

Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #59
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Been drinking my second brew of this stuff. Was my first AG beer, it really needs at least 3 weeks primary and 4 weeks in the bottle to let that roast character mature and mellow. Or else it will be very sharp. I did get great ef on this as well so the ABV is a bit noticeable at 3 weeks. My head retention sucks, it pours a nice head but it disapears in a flash maybe because im a bit undercarbed(used carb sugar for a 5 gal batch when I had 6.5 gals.)

The acit malt is not comming through as much as I think a guinness has so I would def say sour some of it if you want to get a true clone. Im just afraid to bring any of those wild beasties in my house.

As for a beer to break in a BMC drinker? It is great, it has nice flavor and body, not very complex, and fairly mellow(if aged proper) now all this talk of em I think ill go crack one open.

Primary : Honeybuns Weizen, Ode to Arthur(with partial sour)
Secondary:
Bottled: Cream of Three Crops, Hazed and Infused Clone
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 05-12-2009, 02:06 AM   #60
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Finally brewed it today - my wife's first brew, I walked her through it. Looked like it came out a bit light, and we had multiple issues with the brew day. Should be fine though. Couldn't get acid malt at LHBS: "acid malt isn't used anymore." I threw in a tsp of acid blend I have on hand for melomels, we'll see if that does squat. If not, I'll go for the authentic souring process.

Wifey was excited, now comes the waiting.

-PoB

Quick Reply