Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Ode To Arthur, Irish Stout (Guinness Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #261
CatHead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgortel View Post
BTW....I did not see mash details in original post....

60 minutes at 152F sound about right? What have you guys done?
Just read most of these and later on I am pretty sure that was what he recommended but I also think I saw where he recommended maybe 150f for 75 min.
Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 AM   #262
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Yeah, I would go for drier than 152º here. I went with about 154º, and it finished at 1.020. I'm sure the mash temp was far from the only factor, and it's the second highest finishing brew in my history, but it is supposed to be a dry stout after all. I imagine the flaked barley will help make up for any body lost to low mash temps, and it doesn't need any excess sweetness.

For what it's worth, I'm rebrewing this next and it's getting a 148º mash. But I'm far from an expert, so some salt may be required.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #263
hbhudy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

how quickly can this go from Grain to Glass?? If I brew this Feb 1st would it be ready by Mar 17th??

Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #264
sathrovarr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhudy View Post
how quickly can this go from Grain to Glass?? If I brew this Feb 1st would it be ready by Mar 17th??
6 weeks, so I think it will be fine

Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #265
starman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
- Separate out and cold steep the roasted barley, to try to get that smoother roast bitterness Guinness has
- Sour some Guinness and add late in the boil
Did you brew your cold steep batch yet? What adjustments did you make to the grain bill?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #266
andycr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Did you brew your cold steep batch yet? What adjustments did you make to the grain bill?
I did indeed, as soon as my pale ale keg kicks it's going in. Should be in around a week before St. Patrick's day, which will be perfect.

Here's the full recipe I ended up with: http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewreci...t22-harp-stout

The Guinness ended up growing fuzz, so I abandoned the sour Guinness idea. Did some pretty hardcore apartment cleaning during it so who knows what flew in it.

Had to add some acid malt to counteract the higher mash PH caused by just mashing the un-roasted grains, which is okay because I didn't end up adding the soured Guinness. Don't think it's enough to taste anyway - it's just above 3%. Doing it again, I would have done a split mineral addition, adding only the PH-lowering minerals during the mash and the rest just before the boil. That would have lowered the amount of acid malt, but it would be a pain in the ass, and why bother when we want some sourness anyway.

The cold steep went well, room temp overnight. Seems nearly as dark as it would be with mashing the roasted barley - very very deep ruby color, should be black in the glass. Hydrometer sample the other day tasted very interesting, had a scotch note to it, but the verdict awaits St. Patrick's day.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #267
starman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Excellent, thanks for the update. I've wanted to play around with a cold steep and was wondering if this would be an appropriate recipe. Too late for mid march consumption but this brew is on deck.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #268
andycr
Recipes 

It's kegged, it's carbed, and it's tested. I'm having a pint of it side-by-side with Guinness for a head to head.

Color: Even with the cold steep, it's the exact same color as Guinness - if anything, it's very slightly darker. The use of whirlfloc even though it's a dark beer gave it the Guinness-style nice crystal clear glint of ruby color coming around the edges of the glass in the light.
Taste: Slightly disappointed. The cold steep seems to have de-emphasized the roasty flavors a little too much. It tastes halfway to a brown ale to me. There's not much of that nice coffee roast flavor in there. The Guinness seems smoother, though I poured mine from a picnic tap and used the syringe trick to get the cascade effect.

An interesting experiment, but I'd stick with the traditional method. I've gotten "holy crap" reactions from Guinness lovers with the original recipe here and the syringe technique - it's the way to go.

Next up: Murphy's Law

Old 04-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #269
dp_brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

whats the carb level people using when you bottle it? i see most people seem to be kegging.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #270
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
64.9 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
10.8 1.00 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 575
21.6 2.00 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
2.7 0.25 lbs. Sauer(acid) Malt 1.035 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 44.8 60 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Unit(s)Whirfloc Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
DCL Yeast S-04 SafAle English Ale

Is this the Extract version for a 5gal Batch? Sure looks like it and man Oh man Do I love me some Guiness. I have a New Castle Clone that I added Vanilla to from BierMuncher in the Primary now. I think that combo may make a nice Black and Tan.

Primary - Wingnutt's Somethin Pumpkin
Secondary -Empty
Bottled- Apricot Double IPA
Kegged- Galaxy Brown Ale

Quick Reply