Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Ode To Arthur, Irish Stout (Guinness Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #151
NotALamer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't think you need to add grain for the souring, just let it sit out and sour, then boil it and add it to the finished beer. You might get more consistent results by adding a lactobacillus culture to the wort that you want to sour. I've heard that Guinness uses about 10% soured wort, but I don't know if that's accurate or not. You could also just add some lactic acid to the finished product, homebrew stores sell it for wine I think. If you search this thread, we have talked about it.

Some of the hop flavor could still come through, but it will die off over time after you've bottled it anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #152
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the tips, I had just read somewhere that adding a small amount of grain will help introduce the bugs needed to sour the wort faster.

I will be kegging and using beer gas, so it won't be bottled. But I think I will give the nugget a try and just be conservative with them. If it doesn't come out just like Guinness because of that, I bet it still comes out tasty.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #153
NotALamer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ah well however you store it, the hop flavor and aroma will diminish considerably over time.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #154
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrdhyn View Post
Checked my gravity at 1.015 tonight. Hoping it drops a few more points of the next two days, about to raise the temp in the brew closet to around 70* and hold it there. Then (if the weather stays cool) I'll crash chill it in the garage for a few days.

The flat hydrometer sample is already the best damn beer I've ever brewed. Can't wait for it to hit the keg. Thanks BierMuncher.
Well, I just sampled this again the other day after a few months of aging and about a month on gas, HOLY WOW, is this good. It's also the first beer I've brewed that someone else has tasted and said to me, "YOU brewed this????" Since I've got several friends that like stout, I'm thinking this will be constantly in rotation (with full credit to da Muncher), possibly with a bit more roasted barley.

Interestingly on top of the usual roasty stout goodness, there are some definite vanilla notes developing in the middle of the palate. I'm loving it, every drop is glorious.

edit: Beirmuncher, if you were going to give this just a hint more sourness and a bit more roastiness without going overboard, how much more of each grain would you add to a 10g batch?

Left tap: Myrd's IPA
Right tap: Heffeweizen
Kegged: Blimey's ESB, Apfelwein, Ed's Haus Pale Ale
Fermenting: Air, but soon to be Ode-to-Arthur and more Apfelwein.

Last edited by Myrdhyn; 05-07-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #155
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrdhyn View Post
Well, I just sampled this again the other day after a few months of aging and about a month on gas, HOLY WOW, is this good. It's also the first beer I've brewed that someone else has tasted and said to me, "YOU brewed this????" Since I've got several friends that like stout, I'm thinking this will be constantly in rotation (with full credit to da Muncher), possibly with a bit more roasted barley.

Interestingly on top of the usual roasty stout goodness, there are some definite vanilla notes developing in the middle of the palate. I'm loving it, every drop is glorious.

edit: Beirmuncher, if you were going to give this just a hint more sourness and a bit more roastiness without going overboard, how much more of each grain would you add to a 10g batch?
Instead of increasing any one particular grain, I'd be more tempted to take some of your current batch and bottle it (or buy a commercial bottle or two) and then about a week before you brew another batch, allow the beer to sour. I haven't done it, but that is a pretty standard practice for trying to get that unique souring from beers like Guinness.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #156
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's interesting. I hadn't thought about going that route. My only issue with it is I have no idea how to go about souring it in an appropriate way. It seems like if you just left it open, it would oxidize in a major kind of way.

Left tap: Myrd's IPA
Right tap: Heffeweizen
Kegged: Blimey's ESB, Apfelwein, Ed's Haus Pale Ale
Fermenting: Air, but soon to be Ode-to-Arthur and more Apfelwein.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #157
mhermetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

just tasted my sample at 1.011.

My Goodness....My Guinness!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #158
UnderThePorchBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Need a "for knowledge" clarification. I read through all of this in the autumn and glanced over it now, is this a recipe for the Guinness Extra Stout or the Guinness Draught? I ordered it from Brewmasters warehouse and they describe it as the draught. just wondering, I like both either way.
Ben

Old 05-24-2010, 12:23 AM   #159
brew hoperator

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It is for the draught.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:16 AM   #160
UnderThePorchBrewing