Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Ode To Arthur, Irish Stout (Guinness Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #141
droopy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

some motivation
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47460190@N08/4343587511/

PS-- As I devour a bratwurst with home made sauerkraut and drink a black and tan on a random Tuesday drunk--- If you want a very strong lactic acid bacteria and easily accessible starter culture for souring a portion of beer quickly--- a little home made sauerkraut juice is probably the best...

Never done it so don't know --- but guessing it would like a charm and faster then pale malt starter method

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #142
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just wanted to say that this is my best brew by now. It is fantastic!

Recommend it to everyone....

Old 02-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #143
mhermetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

would Toasted Barley "TORRIFIED" work as a substitue to Flaked Barley?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #144
droopy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

torrified barley-- don't think i have seen it... but sounds like it would work fine. you want to mill torrified stuff to expose the starch...

torrified is basically the same as flakes--- cooked (gelatinized) and dried (toasted). Flakes are just rolled flat before drying.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #145
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotALamer View Post
Yeah you want unmalted black/roasted barley not black/roasted malt. I'm sure you can find something to use it in, there are lots of recipes to try. Look around at the stout, porter, and dark ale recipes for something that uses it, or just make something up.
I used what my LHBS had labeled as Roasted Malt? Could this be Black Patent instead of Roasted Barley? I did a search but couldn't come up with much.

Anybody ever seen either labeled Roasted Malt?

We also talked about how the grain turned very dusty and crushed very fine compared to other grains. Something about the husks. Maybe this will help decipher what I used?

Last edited by dale1038; 02-22-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #146
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I brewed this last weekend and I'm really fighting the urge to crack it open as soon as I get home and drink it all in the name of St. Patrick.

On the serious note, I'm still starting out and scaled down the recipe to 1gallon. Does anyone have any advice for me on things they would do differently for a smaller batch of stout like this?

I wasn't planning to rack to a secondary either -- my primary is a glass bottle and I was planning to rack to a pot with priming sugar and bottle straight from there. Any input on that?

Thank you for the recipe and the feedback.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #147
Dauntless
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this last october... I'm blowing the last case with some buddies tonight in celebration of my freckles. Took a while to mellow out, but this became a very smooth stout.

Another starving grad student fighting sobriety.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #148
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Would some folks please comment on their experiences with the taste of this brew after fermenting for three weeks (if anyone has snuck a taste before conditioning ). I was checking gravity yesterday before bottling and although I'm sure there was probably some starsan in the mix and the flatness affected the taste, it seemed a little thin and diluted to me. I could detect a good base flavor in there and I'm hoping there things I noticed are just because it's not finished.

I went with the modified ratio recommendation with less roasted barley mentioned after the original post and hit the OG right on -- I think my mash temp was a little low for medium body so that could be part of it. On the advice of my LHBS I only pitched half the vial of Irish Ale yeast into my 1 gallon batch. Comparing the color to some of the pictures in the thread it seemed a little light as well (probably because of the lower roasted barley quantity), but that could also be a factor of looking at it in the test jar vs. a proper pint.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 04-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #149
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krrazy View Post
Would some folks please comment on their experiences with the taste of this brew after fermenting for three weeks (if anyone has snuck a taste before conditioning ). I was checking gravity yesterday before bottling and although I'm sure there was probably some starsan in the mix and the flatness affected the taste, it seemed a little thin and diluted to me. I could detect a good base flavor in there and I'm hoping there things I noticed are just because it's not finished.

I went with the modified ratio recommendation with less roasted barley mentioned after the original post and hit the OG right on -- I think my mash temp was a little low for medium body so that could be part of it. On the advice of my LHBS I only pitched half the vial of Irish Ale yeast into my 1 gallon batch. Comparing the color to some of the pictures in the thread it seemed a little light as well (probably because of the lower roasted barley quantity), but that could also be a factor of looking at it in the test jar vs. a proper pint.

Thanks for the feedback!
It will be lots lighter in a test jar versus a pint. Mine came out a touch thinner than expected also, due to my mashing temperature (for a while there, all of my beers were coming out a bit thin since my temps were off).

Carbonation does add quite a bit of mouth feel, so just don't worry. I'm sure that it will be quite good.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #150
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I am usually one to read all the pages in a post, but I just do not have the time right now. So I hope I am not re asking questions.

I have been toying with making this for a bit now and I am finally ready and I have space in my pipeline.

I am thinking of souring some store bought Guinness to add at the end of the boil.
First, if I do this I do not need the Acid malt then, right?
Second, I have also read instead of souring store bought Guinness, I could pull 24 oz of the finished wort before adding the yeast, toss some malt in it and let it set until the fermentation is over then boil the bit that has been souring and add it to the finished beer. Does this sound better or worse? Will it work? What would you do? I know add Acid Malt, but I would like to try to do it the "authentic" way.

Second I have a bunch of Nugget hops in the freezer. The hops additions are all at the 60 min mark so the different flavors of hops really do not come through. So as long as I am adding an amount to hit the ~30 IBU of Guinness this should be ok also? Maybe it wouldn't be exact but it would be cheaper?

I know it is strange thinking on one hand "authentic" souring, but then not caring about correct hops. But just ignore my irrationalities.

TIA,
Mitch

Quick Reply