Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #21
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

I never track my sparge volume... I run it off until I get 7 gallons, OR until I am down to 1.010 SG... as for my recipe, it is because you read it incorrectly. I used 2 lbs of 6-row... this is because there are more husks in the 6-row than in regular 2-row pale malts, which in turn gave me a better filter bed, like using rice hulls, but you actually get some SG points from the 6-row at least. I used the step mash, 6-row and a hot sparge to keep my false bottom from gumming up. Worked well.

Pol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2007, 01:44 AM   #22
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol
I never track my sparge volume... I run it off until I get 7 gallons, OR until I am down to 1.010 SG... as for my recipe, it is because you read it incorrectly. I used 2 lbs of 6-row... this is because there are more husks in the 6-row than in regular 2-row pale malts, which in turn gave me a better filter bed, like using rice hulls, but you actually get some SG points from the 6-row at least. I used the step mash, 6-row and a hot sparge to keep my false bottom from gumming up. Worked well.

Pol
yeah sorry I realized I read it wrong but I still didn't know so I didn't change it I guess both my questions were based on the fact that I am planning on batch sparging. Makes sense now.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:56 AM   #23
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Help me here..... I pitched my yeast starter into my Oatmeal Stout at about 9p.m. on Saturday. By Sunday morning I had pretty substantial airlock activity. Today when I checked it, the airlock had slowed very substantially. When I was filling the the carboy off the brewpot I stopped about half way through and shook for aeration so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, after I pitched the yeast on top I swirled the carboy enough to give it a good mix. If I don't see any more activity should I try and shake it up some more to get the yeast back into suspension?

I also didn't get a real heavy layer of krausen on this batch...well, not like I have seen in some of the pictures on here. My efficiency was about 75% so fermentables I don't think would be an issue either. Any advice wll help....

Old 05-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #24
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Did you take a hydrometer reading? It's probably done.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #25
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm going to this evening. I hope by not seeing anymore airlock activity that's what that means. Hopefully I'll have a pretty good attentuation %. I'm going to leave it in primary for about 7 more days anyway just to let it settle and then I'll siphone to secondary.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #26
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Many times I see very little krausen... then my heffe blows up... it happens. That seems really fast for your stout to finish... but, odder things have happened. Dont be mistaken, you can have awesome efficiency and few fermentables, it all depends on the temperature of the mash. I digress... leave it for a week, check the gravity, then go from there.

Pol

Old 05-23-2007, 03:07 AM   #27
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I checked it tonight and its down from 1.045 to 1.020 which is about 55% attenuation. I'm going to let it sit for a few more days and see if it gets a little better. I'm hoping to reach about 65% before its officially done. If I don't see any improvement what can I do to help it along?

I mashed in at 156*F and got it down to 153*F for the last 30 minutes or so. I tried to do a mashout at 170 but could only get it up about 165 for 10 minutes before starting the sparge which I did have at 170 fly sparging. I don't think any of those temps hurt my fermentables but what do I know?....I'm a newb haha

Old 05-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #28
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

I would forget about it for another week or two, and then check it again when you transfer to secondary. The SG may not drop too much since your mash temps were OK, but on the high end. What kind of yeast did you use?

Old 05-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #29
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It was Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast. I made a starter from Breiss Dark DME two days before. My fermenation temps have been kept constant at 62*F the whole time. I don't have a stir plate but I did let it ferment out and then gave the starter a good swirl before pitching in to the carboy.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #30
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Here's a pic of the 10 gals Reid S. and I did yesterday. They're bubbling away nicely now.

Last edited by Lil' Sparky; 07-28-2007 at 12:56 AM.

Quick Reply