Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #91
shay1989
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm confused on the protein rest what is that? is that after your done sparging bringing the wart down to 122 for 20 minutes before starting your boil?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #92
brehuh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the recipe, we made 11 gallons of it yesterday. The only thing I did differently was use MO. I ended up with a higher OG though, I got 1.071. What should my target FG be now? I love oatmeal shouts and cannot wait for this to be ready!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #93
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Probably something in the 1.010-1.015 range

Old 08-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #94
WarrantedFED
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
This is what Palmer says about oats:

"Oats are available whole, steel-cut (i.e. grits), rolled, and flaked. Rolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as "Instant Oatmeal" in the grocery store. Whole oats and "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash. "Quick" oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash. Cook according to the directions on the box (but add more water) to ensure that the starches will be fully utilized. Use 0.5-1.5 lb. per 5 gal batch. Oats need to be mashed with barley malt (and its enzymes) for conversion."

So apparently you do need some barley for conversion. In that case, I'd add a lb or two of barley when you steep the grains, and use just enough water (at 155') to cover the grain bag (maybe 2 gals) - basically you're doing a partial mash here. Add the rest of the water when you're done steeping. You can be heating this to a boil in another pot while the grains are steeping (mashing) to avoid wasting time. Shouldn't be much more complicated than what you're used to. Hope that helps.
This is fantastic information, I had no idea that the rolled oats needed to be fully cooked and protein rested prior to adding to the mash, despite having used rolled oats previously in a chocolate stout. In that recipe I had made, i just tossed them into the mash dry. I guess that made them ineffective?

Am I to understand that the barley malt's enzymes facilitate the rolled oats' conversion? But conversion of what to what? Does it contribute to the coveted oatmeal texture? Or is it conversion of the starches to fermentable sugars?

Also, how does the 2 lbs of barley malt affect the brew? Does this add fermentable sugars? Other flavoring? I guess the question I really have is: How would this affect a pumpkin ale; will it alter the style negatively?

Thanks,

-Will

Last edited by WarrantedFED; 08-27-2011 at 03:39 AM.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:46 AM   #95
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

You need the barley, because it has the enzymes needed to convert the oat's starch to sugar. The barley won't affect the flavor, since it's the same as your base extract, you'll just need to use less extract since the barley will add fermentable sugars. That's where a brewing program comes in very handy. I think oats in a pumpkin ale sounds like an interesting experiment. Should add a little creamy texture.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:12 AM   #96
WarrantedFED
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
You need the barley, because it has the enzymes needed to convert the oat's starch to sugar. The barley won't affect the flavor, since it's the same as your base extract, you'll just need to use less extract since the barley will add fermentable sugars. That's where a brewing program comes in very handy. I think oats in a pumpkin ale sounds like an interesting experiment. Should add a little creamy texture.
I'll be using Golden Promise, which I have just learned is a barley malt. So I am good to go.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #97
Diesel48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

brewed this last night, seemed more brown than black. We will see when it goes in the glass.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #98
Diesel48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Put it in the keg today. Naturally carbonating it because the keezer is full. The hydro sample was great!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #99
Chia
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 29

So i am making this in the morning. will be my first experience with oatmeal. i am using a rims system so i am going to just mash like i would any other beer and hope for the best. if this is wrong and there are directions on what i should do different that are clear, please give them to me. i have never had a protein rest and dunno how i would do with out resting and then ramping up the temp with the rims. thanks

Whitener Street Brewing Co.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #100
marinosr
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Just bottled my second go-round with this recipe, with the minor change that I subbed safale s-04 for the yeast. Fantastic, simple recipe. Can't wait to drink this one again!

Quick Reply