Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Ó Flannagáin Standard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #341
grtechguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed 10 more Gallons of this tonight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #342
mattsmitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Bottled this up last night, this brew taste pretty dang good already i cant wait to try it once its bottle conditioned. I used Maris Otter instead of 2row. it has i nice roasted flavor to it. I think im gonna brew this again and maybe increase my base grain by about a pound and maybe add some flaked oats to it. Im wanting a lil bit thicker mouthfeel and a lil bit more alcohol.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #343
LayerUp
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larso View Post
Doesnt the OP say he mashes at 156~157 in post number 3? Certainly not a low mash temp? I would have expected this high mash temp along with the low IBUs to give a sweeter less dry finish?

@Layerup, I notice you brewed this with 40IBUs ? How was that? Thats more what I'd expect from a dry stout
Yep, you're right, he does say 156, I missed it, and I brewed it at 151 when I made.

The 40 ibu (tinseth) batch that I made many months ago was quite fantastic, although I did cut it with a rather hefty batch of oatmeal (2 pounds). Additionally, I believe I upped my 2-row to 9 pounds because it was one of my first beers, and I was afraid of low efficiency, which I never really seemed to have trouble with. But if I were to brew this again, 40 would definitely be my starting point to work from.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #344
HopheadNJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrewer1
I've never re-used yeast before, but I have a Centennial Blonde that will be finished in a couple days. I used Nottingham for that and I've seen a couple posts where people used it for this recipe. I did a search in the yeast forum and it looks like it is as simple as pouring the cooled stout wort on top of a portion of the yeast cake. Is it as simple as that? Is Nottingham a good choice for this brew? Has anyone used both Notty and a different yeast and have any feedback on how each turned out? Thanks!!
I typically rack off as much beer as I can get and than swirl the carboy to mix up the yeast - pour this into a sanitized mason jar and let settle for a bit than decant a little and pitch the slurry according the the mr malty calculator.

I cant really say whether overpitching is actually an issue on the homebrew scale or not but I would say a whole yeast cake on a low gravity beer like this is excessive.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #345
mdbrewer1
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopheadNJ View Post

I typically rack off as much beer as I can get and than swirl the carboy to mix up the yeast - pour this into a sanitized mason jar and let settle for a bit than decant a little and pitch the slurry according the the mr malty calculator.

I cant really say whether overpitching is actually an issue on the homebrew scale or not but I would say a whole yeast cake on a low gravity beer like this is excessive.
Thank you very much for the reply. My homebrew equipment had been in storage during my move, but hopefully I'll be able to try this out soon!

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottled - Andes Mint Chocolate Stout, None More Black Stout, Caramel Amber Ale, Centennial Blonde, Oktoberfest, Pumptoberfest
Planned - Bell's Two Hearted Clone, Maple Pecan Porter

Old 12-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #346
mattsmitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok so i now only have 2 bottles of this left. so i went and got the ingredients to do this one again!! i loved the flavor of this stout but i did end up increasing my base grain (marris otter) and i added a half pound of flaked oats. so hopefully this batch will end up with a little bit thicker mouthfeel. plan on brewing it maybe newyears eve.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #347
Tandoori
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Wort dry and not sweet?

So, has anyone tasted the wort pre-boil on this one? I'm brewing up a batch right now, and my pre-boil gravity reading was at 1.028, Beersmith says my measured mash efficiency is about 66.4. Nothing to be too proud of or write home about, but it doesn't seem too bad, either. I think I'll try adding a bout 3/4lb of DME to bring it up near the end of the boil.

But what concerns me is the taste. Only the barest hint of sweetness, with a mostly dry taste... perhaps I didn't mash long enough? My initial temps were actually a little high - aound 158-160, but certainly not high enough to lock out the enzymes. I was able to bring it down to 156-7 after about ten minutes with about two quarts of hot water (rather pleased with how easuly I handled that, actually). I then mashed for another 45 minutes, tried to mash out but only got it up to about 160 and then fly sparged out. Didn't think it was a big deal, and I'll probably skip the mash out from now on anyway. No other real issues. Unfortunately, I didn't have any iodine to test, but this is only my third AG batch and the first time with this style. (last batch was EdWort's Hefe which looks like it turned out GREAT).

Old 01-31-2014, 06:34 PM   #348
mattsmitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys, i have brewed this recipe twice with fairly good results. The flavor is awesome but the mouthfeel is very watery like. The second batch i did i used a half pound of flaked oats and it still came out with a watery mouthfeel!! I really like this beer other than the mouthfeel so i want to figure out a way to make this work all the way around. Anyone had a problem with this? Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the mouthfeel? The only changes i made to the recipe is i subed marris otter for the 2row.

Quick Reply