Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Nothing Fancy Chocolate Milk Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #141
ArcticBear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woknblues View Post
Bad luck. Maybe with some aging, the roastiness will mellow? To be honest, this is my first stout, and I have little knowledge of what roasted grains do over time. This may be a good candidate. It's a pretty robust stout in general. (well, it's not an Irish Dry stout anyway). It might just end up a sipper. Nothing wrong with that, unless you don't have the space, and want to brew more! Also, those nibs may be contributing to a more "bitter" type of chocolate profile, like very dark chocolate, and I think that might accentuate what you are trying to offset. Not saying don't do it, it's just what I perceive having tried the nibs on their own (almost a harsh chocolate bitterness)

*edit- I just notied that you have brewed this before... Hmm. Well, maybe a little age.. Anyways, it looks like "homercidal" did exactly what you did, and it turned out OK http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/noth...ml#post4560756
Problem is that this was kind of snap brewed in a pinch for a charity festival im pouring at the first weekend in june and then at the end of june (depending on how it turns out)

Oh well we'll see how it turns out

Also, after about 3-4 days in vodka, cacao nibs smell like beautiful milk chocolate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #142
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Three days so far on the carb. Hoping the stuff will settle out (forgot the whirlfloc), although this is my first time using lactose. My wife just came out of the garage with a full pint of it. She said it was great. I am waiting until Sunday.

Primary#1: BM's Loon Lake Smoked Porter
Primary#2: Farmhouse Saison Brett
Secondary#1-4: Empty
Keg#1: Nothing fancy Choc Stout w/ nibs
Keg#2: Graff
Keg#3-4: Empty

Old 05-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #143
eviljay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Excellent sir.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #144
woknblues
Recipes 

Quote:
Three days so far on the carb. Hoping the stuff will settle out (forgot the whirlfloc), although this is my first time using lactose. My wife just came out of the garage with a full pint of it. She said it was great. I am waiting until Sunday.
After 7 days on serving PSI of 12, the carb is around 50% there. This stuff is great! I took a taste, then just poured off a pint. Wowza, there is a lot going on here, but it is also so very well balanced. Coffee and chocolate playing very nice and classy in this. I can already tell this is the best beer I have brewed to date. I think I am a fan of the brown malt, I have not used that before and I believe that is what is really "marrying" these wonderful flavors.

I am already trying to figure out how to fit this into my pipeline again. I won't be changing a thing, except to remember the whirlfloc next time! Amazing! Thanks!

eviljay Likes This 
Old 05-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #145
woknblues
Recipes 

Quote:
After 7 days on serving PSI of 12, the carb is around 50% there. This stuff is great! I took a taste, then just poured off a pint. Wowza, there is a lot going on here, but it is also so very well balanced. Coffee and chocolate playing very nice and classy in this. I can already tell this is the best beer I have brewed to date. I think I am a fan of the brown malt, I have not used that before and I believe that is what is really "marrying" these wonderful flavors.

I am already trying to figure out how to fit this into my pipeline again. I won't be changing a thing, except to remember the whirlfloc next time! Amazing! Thanks!
Carb is perfect. Head is perfect. Taste is perfect. Amazing beer! I was worried about it being "inappropriate for the season", but it is so damn good, I don't give a hoot if it hits 90!

I can't tell which flavor stands out the most, so I guess it is pretty well balanced.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #146
woknblues
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBear View Post
Problem is that this was kind of snap brewed in a pinch for a charity festival im pouring at the first weekend in june and then at the end of june (depending on how it turns out)

Oh well we'll see how it turns out

Also, after about 3-4 days in vodka, cacao nibs smell like beautiful milk chocolate
I have had this at different temperatures now, and though this might be true about all roasted malt, it seems to take a front seat when the brew is served colder. If I drink it at my serving temp of 38, I do get more roastiness, though maybe the other flavors are just muted more at lower temps... something to consider anyway when serving your "Double roasted by accident" version.. At around 45 or so, everything is wonderfully balanced.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #147
rdljr27
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Could this recipe be used for for a coffee milk stout? If so what changes would you make to the grain bill?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #148
woknblues
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdljr27 View Post
Could this recipe be used for for a coffee milk stout? If so what changes would you make to the grain bill?
To be honest, I would go ahead and brew as is. I am getting plenty of roasted "coffee" type flavors with the roasted malt choc nibs and lactose. Also you could always boil off a extra half gallon of wort then top off with a half gallon of cold steeped coffee... either way, you'd have a winner here..

Old 06-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #149
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

took a hydro sample before adding the cacao... still sitting at 1.028 after a couple weeks... don't have much time so i added the cacao anyways...

tasted the sample and the roasted barley has mostly been scrubbed out, still has the lactose twang and deep coffee notes... it's going to be on the sweeter side due to the higher FG but i need to get this on gas by thursday for it to be ready for the fair on saturday

Old 06-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #150
yono1986
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I made the same mistake, but it's not like you're going to see chill haze anyways. If you can see through the beer you've done something wrong

Quick Reply