Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - None More Black Vanilla Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 02:27 AM   #61
Barnzy02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarod7736 View Post
I'm going to rack this to secondary tomorrow, I have 3 vanilla beans soaking in a 1/2 pint of Makers. Would adding coffee & chocolate to this in addition to the bourbon & vanilla be too much?
It could be, but then again the only way to know for sure is to try it out. I'm no expert, but I think the addition of both chocolate and coffee would be perhaps overpower the overall flavor profile. I would probably choose one or the other, vanilla chocolate or vanilla coffee ... Keeping it a little simpler while still adding a bit more complexity.

With that said, it is your beer and you should do what you want. Experimentation is The best part of homebrewing!

Primary - Amber Alert IPA
Primary - Mild
Primary - empty

Keg - PennsPorter - Vanilla Porter
Keg - Rye Pale Ale

Pennsport Brewing

Newsman Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #62
jarod7736
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnzy02 View Post
It could be, but then again the only way to know for sure is to try it out. I'm no expert, but I think the addition of both chocolate and coffee would be perhaps overpower the overall flavor profile. I would probably choose one or the other, vanilla chocolate or vanilla coffee ... Keeping it a little simpler while still adding a bit more complexity.

With that said, it is your beer and you should do what you want. Experimentation is The best part of homebrewing!
I ended up putting in 3 vanilla beans that have been soaking in 1/2 pt of makers, liquid & all, and 2 oz of coarsely ground coffee beans. We'll see what come out.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #63
specialkaye
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarod7736 View Post
I ended up putting in 3 vanilla beans that have been soaking in 1/2 pt of makers, liquid & all, and 2 oz of coarsely ground coffee beans. We'll see what come out.
Very interested to hear the results.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #64
jarod7736
Recipes 

It's finally getting to the point where it's tasting good. It was very heavy on the coffee at first, and now that's starting to mellow a bit, and the vanilla & bourbon is coming through. I think another week or two and it'll be very nice.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #65
jarod7736
Recipes 

Tried this again last night, and it tasted a bit like Coca Cola. Strange I know, but the combination of coffee, bourbon & vanilla gave it a unsweetened coke-like flavor. Not unpleasant at all, just unexpected.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #66
CRSharff
Recipes 

I brewed a couple weeks ago and decided it was time to rack (I was bottling a previous batch at the time) and got sidetracked and forgot to add the vanilla extract. Can I just pour it into my secondary or should I rack to a tertiary doing it right this time?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #67
Masticon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just toss it in. It's mostly alcohol. It won't mess anything up.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #68
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm down to just 1 or 2 bottles left from my batch of this and they still have a very good, strong vanilla flavor. I added 2-3 times more vanilla extract than the recipe called for while racking into the secondary, and the vanilla extract I used was procured at a local market in St. Martin when I was vacationing there in 2009. One friend said it was the best beer I ever made!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #69
Elisha8685
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's it. I'm brewing this one. My favorite beer in the world is a Vanilla Stout from my local brewery and I've been looking for a good recipe. I think I'm sold. Has anyone tried the converted all grain recipe? How did it turn out?

I'm going to add some oatmeal and add in some special vanilla extract I'm getting in Nashville with 4.9/5 rating over 120 reviews. I'll let you know how it turns out, I'm flipping excited about this one.

Here's the extract if anyone cares.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...cm_ite=4381208

Old 04-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #70
Masticon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppetmanInBC View Post
And how did it come out?

I made this a few weeks back - there were some hiccups, but nothing serious. I stuck with extract. My dad drank about 4 and said he wanted to start making beer, and my wife really liked it too. I would like to make another batch, and I am interested in more grains (including oats)....

So I'll ask again - what was the verdict?
First off it came out great. By far the best beer I've made to date. It has an almost soda like flavor with the 4 vanilla beans. The main thing I'd suggest is if you go with what I have above on my earlier post that you use multiple bags, one for the oats, one for everything else. The gravity came out a bit lower than desired and because I teabagged it the oat utilization wasn't very good. But the flavor was super smooth.

Quick Reply