Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - None More Black Vanilla Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #281
mysteryshrimp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Nothing to do about it now. Wait until about 3 days after it stops bubbling and taste it. Your bitterness might be a little off, you might get some cooked corn or vegetable qualities from Dimethyl Sulfide. I have seen a pellicle on liquid extract, so you could get an infection. It's hard to know what will happen until you taste it.

Primary: Too many sours to mention.
Aging: Mead, Flanders Red, Belgian Dark.
Serving: Too many to mention. Dry Cider, East Coast IPA and Old Ale are my current standards.
BJCP ID: F0785, Certified Judge

Robisbrewing Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #282
Robisbrewing
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the response Mystery. I suspected this is where we were headed- wait and see.

I had come to think liquid malt was the unhopped equivalent of the beer kits I have been brewing. I have never boiled those and never had an issue. Are these analogous?

I had to google Dimethyl Sulphide. Do you think the smell might have been in the malt off the shelf (and I missed the chance to boil it off) or that by not boiling I missed the chance to kill any Dimethyl Sulfide producing bacteria in the malt? I am just asking so I know what is happening next time I cock up a brew

So far airlock smells good although its mainly a hops smell.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #283
hokieguy95
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 27

What about using all DME for this recipe. I have just been taught that most LME is a waste of money because your paying for alot of water.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #284
dkennedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieguy95 View Post
What about using all DME for this recipe. I have just been taught that most LME is a waste of money because your paying for alot of water.
Sure can, I made this almost two years ago with all DME, still very tasty (having moved a couple times since, I still find surprise bombers tucked away in the basement).
Old 12-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #285
hokieguy95
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkennedy View Post
Sure can, I made this almost two years ago with all DME, still very tasty (having moved a couple times since, I still find surprise bombers tucked away in the basement).
Wha'dya say? About 6 to 6.5 lbs total DME?

Old 12-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #286
dkennedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't have my notes handy, but that sounds about right, pretty sure that I went through at least two 3 pounders.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #287
Newsman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 4437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulfrank View Post
Anyone try adding some lactose to this? Seems like it would be good with some added body and sweetness. No?
I made something very similar to this and added lactose. VERY good sweet stout.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #288
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm looking to remake this recipe for the first time since my original post. I have since converted to All Grain but I am limited to 12 lbs of grain due to only having a 5 gal mash tun. Anyway, my question is how many Vanilla Beans should I use and what is the process is getting the most flavor out of the Vanilla Beans.

So far I know to split them length wise, soak in Bourbon, then add to secondary. How much Bourbon should you use and how long and do you just add the Bourbon and Beans to the Secondary?

Drinking - The Plinian Legacy, Cream of Three Crops
Primary - Air
Secondary - Air
Up Next - Oberon Clone

Old 12-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #289
Newsman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 4437

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
I'm looking to remake this recipe for the first time since my original post. I have since converted to All Grain but I am limited to 12 lbs of grain due to only having a 5 gal mash tun. Anyway, my question is how many Vanilla Beans should I use and what is the process is getting the most flavor out of the Vanilla Beans.

So far I know to split them length wise, soak in Bourbon, then add to secondary. How much Bourbon should you use and how long and do you just add the Bourbon and Beans to the Secondary?
Just enough bourbon to cover the vanilla beans. As for how many beans, that's up to you. Two or three should probably be sufficient and just dump the bourbon and beans in the secondary. Note that the vanilla flavor WILL fade with time.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #290
herc1354
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts

Default None More Black Vanilla Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post

Funny you ask as I've had a hard time getting the vanilla to come through, but this is what i have done.

While the beer is in primary fermentation I put the oak chips, about 10-12 oz, in a mason jar, I hen poor enough Bourbon to cover the top of the oak. For the Vanilla I find the best vanilla, I get mine from Penzey Spices, split length wise and scrape out all of the goodness, then all of that goes into the Bourbon oak mixture and give it a good shake. When it cones time for secondary every bit of what is in the mason jar goes into the carboy.

Oh and I have used as much as six Mexican Vanilla Beans

Quick Reply