Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - None More Black Vanilla Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #181
herc1354
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovestout
I recently kegged my second batch of this. I used 3 vanilla beans soake in bourbon for a week, THe first batch I made wa bottled and got rave reviews. I'll be tapping the keg on my nitro tap next weekend (after i drink the rest ofthe milk stout thats on there now). Cant wait to try is ontap.
For nitro dispensing is there a need to carbonate the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #182
dcocch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just brewed this yesterday in my new 2-weld 9gal kettle from Adventures in Homebrewing ($100-great deal!). Made a 6gal batch and put 1gal in a growler to try it with coffee added. It began fermenting in about 12hr and has a nice looking krauzen on it. I used 2 packs of Nottingham and it is sitting at 62 degrees. Can't wait to taste it.

image-3861010912.jpg   image-1454058308.jpg  
Drinking:True Brew Pale Ale

Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #183
skillzman1
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepod View Post
anyone try and sub out the black patent with chocolate malt? what results did you have?
I used 1# chocoalte malt....and also added 8oz of lactose...reminds me of a Youngs Double Chocolate ...my bottle carbonation didnt seem to workout well...its been almost 4 weeks and it seems like it only 1/2 carbonated. My process didnt change..just the recipe addition/substitutions.
I prefer the lower carbonation myself..but theres little to no head as compared to the regular recipe.
Came out excellent in flavor..I used pure vanilla extract in this batch...about 3oz IIRC.

I just bottled a double batch of the original recipe yesterday..it was on vanilla beans in secondary for 3 weeks,each batch contained 3 beans...I left out the black patent (accidentally)...will see how it effects flavor...not nearly as 'dark' in color. HTH-Matt

Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #184
eandersen
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masticon View Post
I just picked up the stuff yesterday and am starting today. I doctored with the recipe a bit based on some other recipes I've been looking at.

7 lbs Dark Liquid Extract
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb Crystal 120
1/2 lb Roasted Barley
1/4/lb Black Patent
2 lbs Flaked Oats
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.0 60 min)
1 oz Fuggle (4.1 5 minutes)
Wyeast Irish Ale
4 vanilla beans into the secondary.

I'll let you know how it comes out.
I followed this recipe pretty closely...3 tbsp vanilla extract in secondary and 1 more at bottling. How long should I condition? Never worked with vanilla before

Old 02-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #185
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I suggest at least 3 weeks in the bottle.....You'll be happier after about 5 or 6 though.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #186
Nunner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 48

This was my first home brew attempt, turned out pretty good, defiantly want to try a AG version sometime.

image-464457462.jpg

Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #187
Shawnylocks
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

just bottled my version of this yesterday. i used 1/2 cup jim beam bourbon with 3 sliced up vanilla beans to make the extract and man this tasted AMAZING! i cant wait till this thing carbs up and i can give it a whirl. i think st paddys day will be the first sample but letting the majority of it age for a month or 2

Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #188
JUST_BREW_IT
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

tag

Old 03-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #189
JUST_BREW_IT
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

ttt

Old 03-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #190
mdbrewer1
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I first got the homebrewing bug after trying a version of this that a friend had made. I finished my first brew 2 weeks ago (NB Irish Red) and was going to put it into secondary last night but after reading some recent posts decided against it. I know from reading that the topic can be a bit divise, but that is how I decided to proceed on that brew.

I'm now trying to decide what would be the best route for this one when I tackle it.

I have a 6 gal bucket from my NB starter kit and I bought a 6 gal Better Bottle this past weekend that I planned to use for secondary for the Irish Red (didn't realize at the time that a 5 gal would likely have been a better choice after reading about headspace, etc.).

I see two possible options based on what I have. My current line of thinking is to use the 6 gal Better Bottle for fermentation and just open it up and adding a 1/2 c. bourbon and 3 vanilla beans that I'd have soaked for a couple days when the time is right. I could also try to use the 6 gal bucket for primary and transfer to the Better Bottle for secondary and adding the bourbon and vanilla beans at that point. My understanding is that if you only plan to keep it in secondary for a couple weeks that the larger headspace wouldn't cause any big problems.

I guess my question is are there any obvious disadvantages to not racking to secondary for this particular brew? I'm trying to put aside the big question of yeast "cleaning up after itself" vs. "sitting on old yeast cake is bad", or is it impossible to remove that from the equation?

I'm also curious as to how you'd add the beans. I plan on slicing them open. Do they need to go in a mesh bag?

Sorry for the long-winded question. I read through the entire thread and didn't really see an answer. I saw that one poster had success with not transferring to secondary, but wanted to get some input from others.

Thanks.

Quick Reply