Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - None More Black Vanilla Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #141
the_kent
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I read every post on this recipe and didnt see one bad review. I tried a sample at my LHBS this weekend and loved it. I'll be whipping up a batch here soon. I've decided to decrease the vanilla slightly and add toasted oak chips. Cant wait to dive into this!

Change is inevitable; progress is optional.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #142
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

this baby looks GOOOOOD. quick question. what yeast would you recommend if you're going with a dry yeast vs. a liquid???

also, is it completely necessary to rack to a secondary for the vanilla addition? couldn't you just toss the extract in the brew after a couple weeks?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #143
Elisha8685
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default None more AWESOME Vanilla Stout

I made this a while ago. I took it easy and did the extract brewing method. I am almost at the bottom of the keg. *sigh. This was possibly my favorite beer I've made so far. It turned out Smooth, almost with a semi-dry feel, and a wonderful, slight hint of vanilla. Great, great Recipe!

Recently, I had a garage sale that attracted about 10-20 people to my kegerator in my garage. Before I knew it, they were all drinking the Vanilla Stout asking for me to make them beer for money baha! I think that speaks for itself with this recipe.

Oh yeah, my favorite context for this beer is with a nice fat steak and mashed potatoes. It is amazing.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #144
sirmichael
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper
this baby looks GOOOOOD. quick question. what yeast would you recommend if you're going with a dry yeast vs. a liquid???

also, is it completely necessary to rack to a secondary for the vanilla addition? couldn't you just toss the extract in the brew after a couple weeks?
I didn't rack to secondary. I soaked four vanilla beans (split and halved) and 2oz of oak chips in about four shots of bourbon for three days and then threw it all in a hop sack and dropped it into primary. I bottled exactly one week ago and I'm currently drinking the first bottle right now. This is my 5th batch of beer and it's by far the best thing I've produced. This is going on the production schedule on a permanent basis.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #145
foxyaardvark
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Adding Oatmeal

This recipe looks great but I've been wanting to make an oatmeal stout. Would I have to use a partial mash to get the oat flavor? I was thinking of adding around 1.5-2 lbs of oats. I'm assuming I'd have to mash with some 2-row and then reduce the amount of malt extract used, but I'm not sure in what amounts. What would the original recipe look like with 2lbs of oats added?

Old 09-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #146
huntb
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Just went and picked this up at the LHBS but skipped out on the DME and went all LME... I wanted to make it a little bigger and the guy there went a little overboard pouring the bulk LME. Got a little over 10 lbs! This sucker is gonna be big. Also, went with US-04 for dry yeast. I have some Madagascar vanilla beans that I'll be using in the secondary. Hopefully it will be done by Thanksgiving

Old 09-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #147
kstrud1
Recipes 

I just brewed this recipe......guestion though......70 minute boil?????? Cluster is 60 minutes.....ekg. 20 and the irish moss is 15minutes. Total = 95 minutes..........is that 70 minutes on the lme????

Old 09-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #148
sirmichael
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrud1
I just brewed this recipe......guestion though......70 minute boil?????? Cluster is 60 minutes.....ekg. 20 and the irish moss is 15minutes. Total = 95 minutes..........is that 70 minutes on the lme????
It's a 60 min boil. Add cluster at the beginning of the boil and start your timer at 60 mins. At EKG when the timer hits 20 mins and the irish moss when the timer hits 15.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #149
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb
Just went and picked this up at the LHBS but skipped out on the DME and went all LME... I wanted to make it a little bigger and the guy there went a little overboard pouring the bulk LME. Got a little over 10 lbs! This sucker is gonna be big. Also, went with US-04 for dry yeast. I have some Madagascar vanilla beans that I'll be using in the secondary. Hopefully it will be done by Thanksgiving
It will be ok by then... By Christmas it will be even better!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #150
skillzman1
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've made this recipe at least 4x in varying forms....and its NEVER made it past a month in the bottle.....never got a bad review from any of my buddies....last batch I did the ferment temps were in the mid 70's range...not a good idea..drastic difference.
I added some chocolate malt and black patent and racked over 4 vanilla beans for 2weeks on one batch..........simply awesome!!
I think I will be brewing several batches soon so I can let some condition for a few months..I think it will only get better.

Quick Reply